UIC secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's up with the 3 semester social science requirement.

"Candidates are expected to complete three (3) semesters of Behavioral Sciences/Social Sciences courses with an emphasis in the Behavioral Sciences. A minimum of two (2) semesters of Behavioral Sciences must be taken within the same department and one (1) additional semester within the Social Sciences."

what does this mean? what's considered a social science class with an emphasis in behavioral sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

According the the AMCAS instructions, any class taken in the Economics, Anthropology, Family Studies, Psychology, and Sociology departments fall under the Behavioral & Social Sciences category. I would imagine that some history, philosophy, political science, and minority studies courses would also be appropriate. Any class where you learned at all about human behavior (like Intro to Psychology) I think would meet their requirement of having an emphasis on behavior.

Yes, it is kind of a strange requirement.

good thing im a psych major ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take Intro to Psych and then take another psych class like abnormal psych or child psych. Then take a sociology, poli sci, geography, anthropology, or econ class and the requirement is met. This is essentially what I did to fulfill this requirement and I got an interview when I applied two years ago.

how fast are they about interviews and acceptances if you area very competitive applicatn?

Very fast but this was 2 years ago so I don't know about now. I sent in my secondary and other materials by the first week of december (August MCATer) and received an invite for interview just after Christmas.

did you get in?

No. Bombed the interview b/c of nerves. It was in Rockford and by the time I interviewed in january the class was full. In fact, the class was full by mid-December that year. Anyway, I'm applying again this year.

I submitted all of my materials sometime in early September, received an interview on one of the first days UIC was interviewing, and received an acceptance letter in mid-November. I will be attending this fall. They are quick, and especially so if you are very competitive. If you are waitlisted, however, you can plan on waiting until late Spring next year for moverment. Chicago fills up quick, so my advice is to get your materials submitted in a timely manner and be at ease during your interview day, if you receive an invite. Don't be over-confident with your own competitiveness, because everyone who receives an invite is worthy of accpetance up to that point. Good luck and PM me if you need more details (not for my stats please!:rolleyes: ). :)

does anybody know when the class filled up this year? i had everything in mid october, interviewed in mid december then didn't hear anything until april. i was waitlisted, but i decided to go elsewhere in the mean time. i was told at the interview that they'd send a "status letter" by february, but i never got anything. i was probably upper average candidate, but by no means stellar. just wondering why i didn't hear anything until mid/late april. thanks