SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UIC secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by calbears84, Aug 23, 2002.

1. calbears84

calbears84 professional baller 7+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i don't get what the difference is between essay #2 in part III and the essay in part VI.

essay #2 in part III:
    If you have overcome some particular disadvantage such as financial difficulty, educational deprivation, or other obstacles that hindered your academic performance, briefly explain the circumstances in the space provided below. (Don?t exceed 200 words)

essay in part VI:
    Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. Please use the back of this sheet for additional explanation. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don?t exceed 150 words)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is confusing! I think the first question (#2 in Part III) would be used if you needed to explain something like a poor semester, while the second question (Part VI) is broader and could address issues underlying your entire academic career.

I think a good strategy might be to write about any hardships in the first question and focus on accomplishments in the second. Just my opinion, though, I'd love to hear how others have approached this.

4. athena21

athena21 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2002
    frigid cold place
    hey guys...does that mean we can't just leave them blank? also, i had a question--the application asks for us to write down all of our activities...we did that on AMCAS! can i just write, "see AMCAS application?"

5. Explosivo

Explosivo blah! 7+ Year Member

The first question did not apply to me. The second question is OPTIONAL and also did not really apply to me anyway. Basically they want to see if you had any life difficulties in acheiving your education or perhaps an explanation for a low GPA. The first question is specifically about a hindered academic performance in college. The second question is more about generalized life difficulties or obstacles like a permanent disablity you have overcome.

I left them blank. Please don't make up an answer unless you genuinely had difficulties. i.e- not getting the bike you wanted for your 10th birthday wouldn't count. I've dealt with UIC before and they are very good at seeing b.s.

Bottom line: If they don't apply to you keep them blank.

Athena21,

Fill out everything it asks for except the optional section unless you choose to do that also. "See AMCAS" is not an acceptable answer because it specifically says that what you write in that section should be consistent with what you wrote in your AMCAS app. That is, they want you to write it again.