UIC - To Commute or Not To Commute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannabpharmer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering for anyone who goes to either UIC (or Midwestern) whether it's worthwhile to commute? As of now, I'm trying to get a place in the city because I am assuming that P1 year will be tough, and I want to study on campus, at the library, and with other fellow classmates. What are your thoughts? I live in the Northern suburbs, so I think my commute would be about an hour each way.

At UIC, are there libraries that the students frequent to study in?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same dilemma.. i went to undergrad at UIC also and there are libraries to study at.. my commute would also be about an hour.. so I am looking at living on campus also..

UIC Library of Health Science (LHS) is going under a renovation. Some people go to Rush, Daley (east campus UIC), or Harold Washington Library.

I come from a near north suburb, and when I go home I take Metra. On Metra, it takes about 40 minutes to get to Union Station. Then it takes another 20-30 minutes to get to UIC west side. I am giving perfect scenarios, here.
P-1 year is the easiest year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an undergrad at UIC. I live on the north side of the city. I love the school, but the only thing I hate is the COMMUTING. It's horrible. The trains will always get you to school late from the city (the CTA). It takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get to school.
So yeah, definetly find a place near campus. You don't neccessarily have to live on campus, you could probably find a nice place off campus that's close by. Just make sure it's in a safe neighborhood, as some areas aren't really safe, especially at night.

As far as studying at the library goes, I'm not sure about the West side of campus (where they have the Pharm school), but the East side of the campus does have a library where everyone flocks to (actually there are two libraries), but nothing out of the ordinary.

Do you guys know how to go about getting your university ID to start looking for offcampus housing on the online listings?

i live in dekalb now, and i wouldnt commute from schaumburg every day. For the same reason, im not gunna commute to the city. I have absolutely no idea where im going to live yet, but im thinking either somewhere right near campus or north side. Maybe like wicker park, logan square, or anywhere else that might be a fun neighborhood to live in that is also near the blue line. Somewhere with a bar in walking distance:D

Do you guys know how to go about getting your university ID to start looking for offcampus housing on the online listings?

I think you get your i.d. during orientation.
that's how it was for us in undergrad.

oh how i wish i applied to UIC :(
that's what procrastination does to you :(

I believe, they'll e-mail out your web id to you. You probably already have your university id. Contact the ACCC to see when they will give you your web id.

UIC west campus is not next to the Blue line. It is next to the Pink Line. You will have to walk 5-10 minutes from Medical District.

Isn't the blue line stop on Polk about a block west of wood st? That seems pretty close.

Isn't the blue line stop on Polk about a block west of wood st? That seems pretty close.
Polk St. is a Pink line stop. A few Blue line trains do go by, two an hour during rush hour.