UIC Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asteras1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for any of you still waiting on UIC like myself.

Someone on interviewfeedback.com just posted that UIC has made its final selections and has finally compiled its wait-list.

Apparently, rejection letters WILL be sent out along with any remaining acceptances as well as the waitlist. I guess not all of the interviewees get placed on a waiting list after all.

As for the wait-list itself, the letter that you will get will not only let you know if you are on it, but will also tell you where on the waitlist you are ranked. Originally I thought that they wouldn't tell you where you are ranked so I am pleasantly surprised by this.

According to the post, these letters will be going out starting on Monday. I've got my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Imitiaz. I'll post what happens back on this thread when I get the letter.

By the way, I took up your advice and I am looking for a research position in case I don't get in this time around. I'm already interviewing at one school and I have a couple of other research positions that are also pending.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just gave up my spot at UIC-Chicago in favor of another school. It was a really tough decision and *really* hard to do, especially since this is my second year applying and I know how hard they are to come by! I wish I could have seen how things pan out financially before I decided(didn't get to see my awards from either school), but this was their final deadline. I'm glad to give it up so someone else can have the opportunity to go there!

By the way, if my situation is the standard, then everyone who was accepted to UIC would have been forced to decide by today (6/1) or forfeit their spot. If this is true, you should see plenty of movement in the coming days and weeks. Good luck!

:cool:

Well folks, I got the letter today and as expected, it wasn't good. "Due to the increasing number of outstanding applicants...blah, blah, blah." I was finally rejected today but since I was expecting this to happen, I am not too upset. At least now I have some clarity and can move on to other things without having to deal with all the uncertainty. Getting wait-listed may have been even worse for me because more than anything else I just wanted to know exactly where I stood.

I don't know if I am going to apply again right away. The MCAT still has me spooked and it's really the only thing holding me back. I took it last year under adverse personal circumstances and I think it got to me. In hindsight I should've waited one more year before applying so I could've take the MCAT under better personal circumstances which undoubtedly affected my performance on the exam (There is a huge discrepancy between my GPA and MCAT scores in which case even AMCAS suggests that I retake the exam). Nevertheless I did learn a lot by going through this process and I think it will help me if I decide to apply again.

There is some good news though. I am going to begin doing research at the University of Chicago on bacterial pathogenicity under the direction of a really cool professor. I was offered the position on Friday. This was the next best thing that could've happened to me and I think I'm going to learn a lot. It's also going to help my chances out if I decide to apply to med school again in the future. Thanks to all for your comments and advice over the past several months. It was a big help.

Asteras1,

really sorry to hear about UIC, but congratulations on what looks to be a great research experience. You are very wise to think twice about just going ahead and applying again. I should know; when I applied the first time I REALLY had no business trying in the first place because I had just decided on medicine and had all the prereqs done anyway. Big mistake!

Anyway, I went right ahead and applied again, and I ended up getting 2 pretty decent acceptances, but I have to wonder if I had spent all that time and money on taking more classes and getting more health care experience instead of applying prematurely, I would have been more competetive and may have gotten in one of my higher choice schools.

So that's my long-winded way of saying that this could be a blessing in disguise. If you wait a year, you can take your time to study for the MCAT, maybe take another class or two, and get a publication. Then instead of waiting in limbo for UIC's answer, you might have a surplus of great acceptances on your hands. Good luck!