UIC urban health md program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nellia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the UIC webpage today and I saw a program directed towards people who want to serve an urban population? I guess if you go to that program you have to commit to serving a particular urban area for some number of years, sort of like the rural health program. Does anyone know more about this program? the website gave some info but not alot. I would really appreciate it! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it is meant to provide a more robust background in urban-focused specialties such as primary care and emergency med. students aren't limited to that, however, and it also gives you exposure to issues like economic disparities in health care.

to be honest, most kids who apply to the program do so because it guarantees them a spot in Chicago (as opposed to peoria or rockford).

I was looking at the UIC webpage today and I saw a program directed towards people who want to serve an urban population? I guess if you go to that program you have to commit to serving a particular urban area for some number of years, sort of like the rural health program. Does anyone know more about this program? the website gave some info but not alot. I would really appreciate it! Thanks :)

Unlike the rural health program, you do not have to commit to serving an urban area for any period of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses! so you can go into whatever specialty you like? are you more likely to get in if you apply through this program? and do they place you somewhere urban after med school or how exactly does it work?

thanks for the responses! so you can go into whatever specialty you like? are you more likely to get in if you apply through this program? and do they place you somewhere urban after med school or how exactly does it work?

i believe you apply to the program after you've already been accepted to UIC... but i could be wrong about that. this information is surely on a website somewhere.