UIC-Urbana/Rockford or Jefferson?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I can't decide! I'm an IL resident so the tuition would be slightly better if I stayed in-state, but I think Jefferson has a better program and probably a better reputation. I grew up in suburban Chicago and went to school around here too, so part of me wants to go out and live in a new place, and the lazyass part of me thinks it'll just be easier and more convenient to stick around IL.

What do you all think, anybody ever have to make a similar decision?

Members don't see this ad.

uic rockford and jefferson are quite different schools. rockford is a small town, and uic rockford is known for its community clinics/medicine. if you are aiming for primary care, this is the place to be. jefferson is in the city, so you'll see more diverse cases and patient population. Also, rockford's student body is very very small and jefferson's student body is very very big. Ask yourself what you want. If you're dead set on primary care, you should definitely take advantage of the in-state tuition by going to uic rockford.

I don't know what I want!! That's part of the problem. I think Urbana/Rockford will probably be more quiet and less distracting. But then I am a huge lame ass so I'm afraid that if I don't put myself in the middle of the city, I could just hide in my apartment all day.

Also, is the term "primary care" exclusive to being a primary care physician- i.e. family doctors, etc? Because I am almost certain that's not what I want to do. I chose Rockford b/c it's closer to Chicago than Peoria.

Members don't see this ad :)
redruby said:
Also, is the term "primary care" exclusive to being a primary care physician- i.e. family doctors, etc?

From what I know, "primary care" can include pediatric, internal medicine, family practice, and sometimes, Ob Gyn.

redruby said:
I don't know what I want!! That's part of the problem. I think Urbana/Rockford will probably be more quiet and less distracting. But then I am a huge lame ass so I'm afraid that if I don't put myself in the middle of the city, I could just hide in my apartment all day.

Also, is the term "primary care" exclusive to being a primary care physician- i.e. family doctors, etc? Because I am almost certain that's not what I want to do. I chose Rockford b/c it's closer to Chicago than Peoria.

Would you chose rosalind franklin over urbana-champ if the decision was between the two? The facilities are so nice at RF and then you get two years in chicago