UIC vs. Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Explosivo

blah!
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently hold an acceptance at UIC and for the time being it is my only one. At my interview day at UIC I was rather pleased with what I saw and I noticed that some of the newer students, MS1s and MS2s, seem to feel that things have gotten better for them as compared to what the upperclassmen had to go through.

For the past few years (i am a 2nd time applicant) I've heard all sorts of horror stories by students that attend UIC which have made me feel a bit uneasy about going there. Since my interview though my feelings on UIC have changed for the better but I still have lingering doubts as to whether I'll be happy going there. Additionally I was also an undergrad at UIC for 2 years but had to transfer out because I was just really unhappy so that sort of adds to my apprehension.

Obviously tuition is a concern but I may be interested in taking on some added debt in order to go to a school I really like. Recently, I interviewed at Pritkzer and really loved the school. I felt like I belonged and that it was the right place for me to be if I were to get in. However, the tuition factor gives me some pause if/when I ever have to make a decision between UIC and Pritzker.

If tuition were not an issue, there is no doubt in my mind that I would choose to go to Pritzker. I've heard many people on SDN rant about how everyone should go to the cheapest school they can get into. This sort of resonates for me since my family isn't particularly wealthy and they don't have the resources to help me out at all with either tuition or room/board costs.

With that in mind, would it be foolish of me to go to Pritzker over UIC? Some people say I'm crazy to take on so much more debt--especially over a school with such a good reputation in Chicago as UIC. I on the other hand, really liked Pritzker a lot which was a total surprise because I didn't have as much interest in going ther early on. Now it has emerged as my clear #1 choice.

Don't get me wrong, I like what UIC has to offer and am VERY thankful to have gotten into UIC. It's just that I really liked Pritzker a lot which I hadn't expected.

So there are 2 real questions I'm trying to answer now:

1. Would I be nuts for turning down an acceptance to UIC which itself is a fine medical school and is significantly cheaper, in favor of Pritzker?

Or...

2. Would I be nuts for turning down a ~possible~ acceptance at Priztker which itself is a highly respected and ranked medical school which I really liked, in favor of UIC?

Right now I'm definitely leaning toward Pritzker but I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be making a huge mistake if the time ever comes where I have to make this decision.

I'd appreciate any thoughts...thanks. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first off I would suggest waiting till you see the FA deals. Pritzker does have much higher tuition but they do also have more grant money (tho not that much) so you never know - if you are from a family that would qualify for 'need based aid' Pritzker may end up not much more.

I would suggest you trust feelings. You don't specify what the reasons were that made you transfer out of UIC as an undergrad but if they are factors that could come up again for med school it would give me severe pause to go there again (if I had another option).

Also depends what you want to do afterwards. If you want to do clinical work in Chicago then either will be a great preperation. If you want to go into academic medicine or get a residency far from Chicago obviously Pritzker is the better choice.

At the end of the day it basically boils down to - money should be part of the decision, but only a part. If you think you 'belong' at Pritzker, and get in, go there.

Explosivo

I think you should go to Pritzker if that is where you feel you belong. UIC has gotten a lot better, and relative to UIC undergrad the support system is excellent. I can honestly say this because I also went to UIC for undergrad and it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences.

We are all going to end up in debt, so go where you will be happy; it sounds like Pritzker is the program for YOU. You can't go wrong with either school as long as you really want to be there.

Trust your gut! and hope you get into Pritzker

pinbor

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that U of C will necessarily give you a better shot at academics if you decide to pursue it. I think you have to look at the field of medicine that you want to practice in. I have finished interviewing, and I can honestly say that I got plenty of interviews at "high power academic institutions". I can tell you that UIC has students in IM, EM, Peds, GU, Opth, etc. that get iinterviews at and even attend top name instituitions.

Both schools do great in the match, they both have their own distinct flavor. I agree with you that you should just go where you'll be happy.

I have a friend who is an M1 who chose UIC over Pritzker and is now regretting it. Go where you will be happy. Calculate the total true monetary difference for your four years once you get your financial aid statements back (and your acceptance) and see if this is worth your happiness and where you'd be most comfortable. Personally I would choose Pritzker (I have to run, can't get into the reasons).

i'm an M4 at UIC

i agree w/ the consensus, if you get into Pritzker go there.

you've found where you want to be, listen to your gut. although the money differential sounds huge, it will likely be worth it.

i respectfully disagree w/ my esteemed classmate (and truly all around nice guy) pinbor1 on two points:
1.) the student affairs at uic still royally sucks. they are a daily source of frustration for most of us.
2.) for an otherwise equivalent app and board scores: the U of C name and LORs might get your foot in the door for residency interview calls that UIC just won't (unless you have a few select 'right people' on your side and/or you are a superstar)
[on the other hand, you can definitely get to a top five residency program if you work hard and you do well; many of our classmates are interviewing and will match at amazing programs]

on the other hand, UIC was the school that I chose (i withdrew my app to U of C once i had my acceptance at UIC) b/c of my style:
i felt the fit was good, the price was right, there is a much greater ethnic diversity in the class, and i did not want to be isolated on the south side of chicago for four years.

good luck on getting that fat envelope from Pritzker.

on the other hand, if you do come to UIC: welcome :)

Hey Panch

One minor correction, I agree that the Office of Student Affairs can be a pain to work with, but the undergrad office is so bad that it make's the ours look awesome.

One point 2, we can a agree to disagree. I don't think selection com look at schools than they do look at the people writing your LORs.

Explosivo, it sounds like you know where you want to go so go there, no regrets

Panch, once again congratulations on your awesome match and I'll see you around

I'm definetely biased because I'm a very happy Pritzker student, and also, I don't know anything about UIC, but if you have the opportunity to come here, I would urge you not to pass it up. Yes, the tuition is high, but they are very good about helping you out with grants and financial aid. Honestly, now that I'm here, I have a hard time imagining how anyone could turn the U of C down. I have never encountered a happier and more cooperative group of students in my life. I don't know what the grading system is at UIC, but pass/fail is the greatest system EVER! I didn't realize how much I would love it until I got here, but the fact that there is no competition between classmates fosters an an amazing atmosphere of togetherness within the class. I feel like I can go up to any other member of my class to ask a question and they would gladly help me out, and if they didn't know the answer, they would point me in the direction of someone who did. On top of the quality of life factors, the U of C name is HIGHLY respected by residency directors. We match very well, and I believe our education is second to none. I know that financial considerations are important, but they really will bend over backwards here to make it less of a burden on you. Every person here is treated as an important individual, and you are given all the help and assistance you need. Good luck!

I went to uofc undergrad and am now an m1 at uic. I worked as a research asst. at uoc for 2 years. One of the researchers I knew (he actually was on the front page trib a while back) said that the only difference between ivy league(ish) schools and state or other private schools is this: if you want to stay ivy track then it will be easier in an ivy med school - in other words if you want that tough residency then you'd just have to work a bit harder at your non-ivy school to get it.

I have to say as an aside that EVERY med-student I knew at uofc was happy they were there - no buts. An m4 there said about uic "yeah I heard they work those guys really hard". So I think that you'll get a great education in either case.

Thanks for the responses everybody.

I think going with my gut on this one is probably the way to go. Money be damned I guess... I should find something out from Pritzker by the end of this month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also, if anyone is still waiting for an interview at Pritzker, I was told that Feb. 27th was the final day of interviews. Unless something has changed, I believe they are done.

If anybody else has any advice/wisdom/insanity to add, feel free. :cool:

You can go by rankings, which is cheaper, or prestige, but you always win when you choose a school by how you felt. If you feel you belonged, then tuition doesn't matter. Good luck with pritzker btw.:D

The only thing about Pritzker I don't get is the quarter system, how does that work? I'm used to a semester system...are the classes too fast/overwhelming in quarters?:confused:

If you can go to Pritzker. Do what feels right for you. You only live once.

No regrets, money comes and goes.

OR DON'T GO....

Because I want to go. Leave a spot for me!!!! Hahaha

:laugh:

Stop the insanity, Med Schools, stop it!!!

Gummy

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you people think of northwestern vs. UIC. I am accepted to both, but cant decide AT ALL between the two.

Originally posted by ssf77
what do you people think of northwestern vs. UIC. I am accepted to both, but cant decide AT ALL between the two.

woah, major difference. Haven't you been to both schools?

I guess it depends on what kind of clinical experience you want to get..

ssf77

Both schools are good, but they both have their +/-'s and their own distinct feel. I guess the question I would like you to answer is what do you want out of med school and a career in medicine. I can tell you that UIC has been good for me, but that is because it suits/ has suited my goals that I want to achieve as a physician/human being. I'll try to give you as objective of a view about UIC in the context of what you want in a program

pinbor1 put it quite well, it depends on what you think you'll want for your career and your own sanity/satisfaction w/ work.

Schubie:
preclinical years are Honors/Pass/Fail (except for 'Essentials of Clinical Medicine' which is Outstanding/Advanced/Proficient/Needs Remediation).
core rotations during third year and fourth year electives are O/A/P/NR. the bs required subspecialty rotations are Satisfactory/Needs Remediation.

one thing that H/P/F does is allows the med school to (relatively) objectively determine 3rd year AOA (top 4% across all four campuses, based upon a formula that weights preclinical grades and Step 1). those that make it are golden, they can expect to get their pick of interviews as long as they shine during rotations (which they tend to).

I know that in the long run I do not want to do research, but I wouldnt mind doing it as a med student to boost my credentials. I do like the P/F at NU cuz I know this girl at U of C who claims that P/F makes things a lot easier. But then I would assume that everything would boil down to my board scores and third and fourth year, which might be not so good. I was an undergrad at UIC, and altho there might be tons of beuracracy to deal with, once you know how to get around it, its not too bad. I feel like this is such an important decision...maybe I am looking too much into it.

Hi SSF77

UIC is H/P/F for the preclinical years, which is basically what NUMS' grading system is. From what I noticed NU students seem to study just as hard as any other med student, I guess it's our high proportion of type A's in medicine. Like at all or most other school clinical years are more stratified into Honors, advanced, proficient, need remediation. And when it comes to matching you are right that MOST programs focus on Board Scores and your Clinical Grades, along with LORs

Comin out of both schools you can match or interview at great programs. It just becomes a matter of which place you would prefer more. I think the preclinical years are harder at UIC, but the clinical experience in the 3rd and 4th year make it worth the added inconvience/pain. It seems that you would be able to "navigate the system" well at the COM, considering that you dealt with the UIC undergrad admin. If you have more specific questions PM me.

hope this helps. :)

Pinbor,

You said "UIC is H/P/F for the preclinical years, which is basically what NUMS' grading system is." I thought NUMS is P/F during preclinical years.

I don't know for sure what NUMS grading system is, but many P/F schools also have an honors category during the preclinical year. Some student may have felt pressure to honor classes the first 2 years, but I along with many of my colleagues did not.

As for NUMS, I'm not sure if they have honors, but when I was an M2 other students from NUMS told me that they failed a certain percentage of people per course. At UIC, we have a minimum pass level, that means that technically everyone or no one could fail a class, i felt that this promoted comraderie b/c we were not competing on a bell curve but all just trying to pass.

I would appreciate it if there is someone from NUMS that could enlighten all of us about the preclinical grading at NUMS

PRITZKER for sure...money in the long run shouldn't be the deciding factor as eventually you'll pay it off..plus 3 and 4th year uic is more expensive so i'll be like 15 - 20 more i think....PRITZKER FOR SURE

Hi!
Northwestern does not have Honors during M1 and M2 years. The curriculum is integrated(organ based) such that there are six written exams in the first years and seven the second year. There are also anatomy and histo practicals the first year.

For each exam, the pass/fail line is set at two standard deviations below the mean. At first, it seems like someone must fail each exam using such a system, but this is not true. You can easily have a distribution where everyone is above the p/f line, so during some exams, two or three people may fail, and in another test, zero or one will fail. Of course, remediation during the summer is also available for anyone who fails an exam (no more than 3 fails without repeating the year).

NUcat

Thanks for the info, UIC is more of a traditional system, we are sloooowly moving towards an organ based system, but it's hard to make these changes in such a beuracratic system.

I guess that anywhere you go and just do your work you will do fine and pass. Just focus your studying towards what will help you for the boards and in clinical situations.

Medschool2007
-minor correction m4 year is actually cheaper. The 2nd and 3rd years have the addition of a summer tuition so they are more expensive.
-As for saying "Pritzker for sure", I think that everyone has to decide what schools fits them the best. For me, I like the diversity at UIC and the pockets of GREAT Clinicians/Role models I have met. Either place you will match well if you work hard and are happy.

an NU med student once told me that the school says its pass/fail but then gives honors to people at the end...they just don't want to make students so competitive...