UIC vs SIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEATOMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard alot of great things about these two schools. Some say SIU is the hidden treasure of the midwest. Others say UIC produces the best residents in the midwest. I'm just wondering what other people think about them.

Obviously, SIU isn't well known for research, but UIC isn't exactly atop the charts either.

SIU is well known for its primary care training...But UIC has the Rockford program which is also an excellent primary care program.

SIU is cheaper and uses PBL, UIC is more expensive and uses lectures.

UIC is a big ten school, SIU has the salukis.

UIC has a Chicago, UIUC, Peoria, Rockford campuses... SIU requires first year in Carbondale and the rest is spent in Springfield

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know which one would be better for you, but for me, it would be UIC hands down if you got assigned to Chicago. If not, I would choose SIU because Rockford and Peoria aren't any better than Springfield. Plus, I think SIU's tuition is cheaper for in-states than UIC. And UIC is not in Big ten, they play in Horizon league along with Loyola, Butler, UW-Milwaukee an bunch of other schools.

NEATOMD said:
UIC is a big ten school, SIU has the salukis.

UIC is not in the Big Ten, but I don't know why this matters

Members don't see this ad :)
PBR727 said:
UIC is not in the Big Ten, but I don't know why this matters
If you attend the Champaign-Urbana campus then you ARE at a big ten school. That's what I was talking about.

You are right though, it doesn't really matter. On the other hand, it does feel pretty good to have the number one basketball team in the nation right now. Says nothing about the medical program, but hey something to cheer you up when you have a tough exam coming up. :D

seth03 said:
since when did uic produce the best residents in the midwest?
Notice I said "others say"... I read this statement in one of those Medical College guides. I don't remember which one though. Obviously, it was the opinion of the writer and not a statistical fact, but i was using it to stress that UIC has a strong heritage too.