UIC vs U of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyQ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in-state for UIC, but that doesn't seem to make things any cheaper at all. I hear that you have to pay extra cash for years two and three at UIC(Like $12,000 more).

I don't know if UIC in-state is actually going to be that much cheaper than Maryland out-of-state.

From what I see Maryland's curriculum feels better, but UIC seems to have better clinical experience.

What opinions do you have about the curriculum, clinicals, cities, residency placement, faculty resources?

Any experience you have had with either school would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

If you like Marylands curriculum better I would think you should lean that way. I am going to UIC this fall and personally love the school but its all personal. The clinical experience at Maryland is also going to be very good I would imagine. I'm currently living in Maryland and Baltimore will definitely expose you to just about anything out there. If tuition is similar I would go with where you feel more comfortable, which sounds like Maryland. Either way good luck with you decision and if you choose UIC, see ya in Aug.

Doesn't Maryland have like the #1 trauma center? I also liked their curriculum, and didn't get the feeling that their clinical rotations would be lacking at all

Members don't see this ad :)
I was pleasantly surprised with Maryland (coming from the perspective of having already interviewed at UCSF and the Cleveland Clinic, and MD being my state school and all). They give students laptops and their exams are administered in the same format as the Step 1 and Step 2 exams to help prepare you for them. They do have the #1 trauma center in the country. However, this is because Baltimore is - well - not the safest city, to say the least. Anyway, I liked it b/c everyone has to rotate for 2 weeks in the trauma center, but you also have the option of doing it for another month. The students were really laid back and very chill for the most part. (I felt this way at UCSF, but CCLCM was def not laid back). Anyway, I went to the Univ of Maryland College Park for undergrad, and since a ton of the med students at Maryland are from CP, it had a very familiar feel to it. Their financial aid presentation was by far the best I had seen.

Plus, if you are a Terps fan like me and are sad b/c you can't go to basketball games anymore, UMaryland SOM has a box at Comcast Center.. They give out tickets to their students. :thumbup:

Anyway, Maryland had a very cool vibe. I like it b/c you are about 2 1/2 hours from the beach, 2 1/2 hours from the mountains, and the Harbor is actually a nice place to hang out. You are also near DC and NY. Plus, Maryland has a lot going on in terms of community service. All students have to spend time rotating in a rural medically underserved area in Maryland. Plus, the mentoring at Maryland is awesome. If you are a female and want to have a female mentor to talk to about having a family, the student affairs office will find you one.

You can do anything you want to do. The faculty is extremely receptive to their students desires. (So if you want to shadow a specific doctor, all you have to do is email them, and they will likely say "Ok, no problem, show up tomorrow" or something.) My friend started doing this during her first semester and said everyone was really nice and was extremely student-oriented.

Anyway, I got into Maryland and am pretty excited about it, if you couldnt tell. :)

Thanks for your advice!