Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

UIC when will Chicago campus fill?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mixmaster, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I know that UIC is interviewing. All those that have been invited recently or have interviewed do you know when the Chicago campus will fill up? I know last year it got full around late Dec/Jan. But if someone gets invited in Oct do you think they can interview by Nov and still get into the Chicago campus?
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

PM Explosivo. I think he knows more specifics. If memory serves me right, the chicago campus filled up by December.

I interviewed in September.

4. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

The Chicago campus will fill late Dec. to mid-January. If you get an interview invite soon you may have a shot at a late November or early December interview. As of right now, I know that people are being sent for interviews at all 3 campuses and that the latest interview date I have seen so far is November 8th but someone posted that awhile ago.

If you want the earliest interview possible you'll have to do it at Rockford or Peoria. For obvious reasons people prefer to interview at Chicago but I must tell you that where you interview has no bearing on which campus you will attend. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, if you want to interview in Chicago you're looking at December for sure. You may be able to score a November inteview at Rockford or Peoria.

Another factor to keep in mind is that the CHicago campus has a very large number of GPPA students. Those are undergrads that gain automatic acceptance b/c they kept a certain GPA in college which I think is bull*** but I digress.

Have you been contacted yet? If you are call to schedule the interview RIGHT AWAY. You have a shot at Chicago but it's certainly much poorer than if you had interviewed in September and October.

5. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    VENT WARNING! :mad:

I'm a student at U of I in Champaign, and I sent in my secondary to UIC in mid-late August, and still haven't heard anything! I called their status check thing today, and they told me my app was complete and I'd probably hear something in the next few weeks!

GGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! +pissed+

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Member
    7+ Year Member

woots,
    The committe meeting will be next week, I was told that I will get an answer about an interview by the end of the month!
    GOOD LUCK!

7. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a friend who got interviewed AFTER Jan. 1st (I'm thinking it was maybe even in Feb or March) and she got in to UIC. Furthermore, she got into the Chicago campus. She told me that she just sent the application for placement in as fast as possible once they admitted her. I hope this helps. Anything can happen.

I haven't heard from UIC either :(

I hope to hear from them soon, too. My file has been complete for 2 weeks now!

Gumshoe

8. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Gumshoe...BE PATIENT! It takes more than two weeks...sometimes up to 4 for them to respond. My app was complete first week of Aug and Received their invite on Sept 1 (US mail).

9. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

What do you think of your chances? It just seems like there is NOTHING out there better than medicine, no matter how long and hard it is. Research? Unless a great situation, I might rather be studying long hours. The jobs out there that are attainable are few, unless you hit the pharmaceutical fields (which can be plush). Otherwise going to school is a NO brainer. If no med school, have you guys thought of grad school in genetics or something? Genetics seems awesome, and a wave of the future.

Gumshoe

:confused:

10. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My chances are 100% or 0%. Either I get in or not.
    I agree that nothing is better than medicine when it comes to careers. It also is the best according to my values.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry conducting cancer research and I know that it can provide a PhD person a salary pushing $150K to $200K. But it isn't all about money!

I believe genetics is cool, also. But I cannot think about other careers until I've exhausted my efforts going into medicine.

Late

11. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

in that case I'm definitely going the masters route in genetics if I don't get in ... but i am going to get in ...

no such thing as 100 or 0 ... there is a percentage, but i hear you

Gummy

12. PluckyDuk8

PluckyDuk8 Pluck of all Plucks
    7+ Year Member

I also submitted my secondary in mid-August and haven't heard anything...and I'm starting to get worried. :(