UICOM vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albert9402

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I know it's extremely early to talk about this but since I was fortunate to be accepted by these two amazing schools, I want to learn some perspective from everyone! I wish to specialize in Ophthalmology, Derm or ENT in the future. Which school will be a better fit? I enjoyed my interview days at each school and everyone seems to be very cool there. What are things you hate or love about these two schools? Any perspective is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Loyola student so biased: we have great Optho ENT and DERm home programs which is a big plus!

Also wow you want to do 3 of the most competitive specialties lol

You should start out by listing your pros and cons for each and we can comment on them.

Thank you for the amazing information. Here are my pros and cons.

Loyola pros:
-Amazing student body and environment.
-Maybe cheaper since I might be considered as an OOS for UICOM
-Better hospital than UI Health.
-Closer relationship between classmates and faculty.

cons:
-My wife works in Chicago so a bit farther than UIC.
-Lower prestige? Not sure about this since Loyola is not ranked.
-Maywood. Didn't really like the surrounding environment around Stritch.

UIC pros:
-Best Ophthalmology department in Illinois.
-Stronger research/More research opportunities. I had extensive research experience and wish to continue research.
-Location is better in my opinion.
-Slight better match list?
cons:
-Ridiculous OOS tuition.
-Weaker hospital system than Loyola.
-Large student body.

Maybe there's more to this but this is as far as I consider now.

addressing ur cons: it takes me like 20 mins to get down town from where I live it’s not THAT far, it isn’t ranked because they don’t participate it’s not unranked. If you look at the program director ratings it’s high 50s low 60s. Has an equal to or better reputation than U OF I both in the area and nationally.

Maywood is bad but we’re not really in Maywood. School is in its own little world and we all live in oak park forest park,

It’s definitely a lot less urban if u want the city feel. And I think we have different curriculums so look into that. But rankings wise take a look at the program directors list

Members don't see this ad :)
addressing ur cons: it takes me like 20 mins to get down town from where I live it’s not THAT far, it isn’t ranked because they don’t participate it’s not unranked. If you look at the program director ratings it’s high 50s low 60s. Has an equal to or better reputation than U OF I both in the area and nationally.

Maywood is bad but we’re not really in Maywood. School is in its own little world and we all live in oak park forest park,

It’s definitely a lot less urban if u want the city feel. And I think we have different curriculums so look into that. But rankings wise take a look at the program directors list
Thank you for your amazing insight! From your experience and what you learned from other people, is it true that you have an edge matching into your home institution?

Also, how is Loyola's early clinical exposure? I know that there's a class called patience-centered medicine or something like that, but do you have any early actual clinical experience? Thanks!

Thank you for your amazing insight! From your experience and what you learned from other people, is it true that you have an edge matching into your home institution?

Also, how is Loyola's early clinical exposure? I know that there's a class called patience-centered medicine or something like that, but do you have any early actual clinical experience? Thanks!
Yes that’s definitely true just look at any of our programs: take ortho for example 2 out of 5 slots are usually Loyola.

Yes not as much as some institutions but we do about 4 full patient interviews first year and 6 second year. I personally though I’ve gotten a ton of clinical exposure by shadowing which I do about once a week and my research is patient facing so I spent the summer doing the honors research program where I got a grant and consent in and spoke to patients the whole summer.

I also know that I think they’re starting a new patient facing program for you all. Your class is going to have a new curriculum.

I think the real difference between us and UIC is the curriculum think we’re pretty different. We’re also a private school in there a public school yeah?

Yes that’s definitely true just look at any of our programs: take ortho for example 2 out of 5 slots are usually Loyola.

Yes not as much as some institutions but we do about 4 full patient interviews first year and 6 second year. I personally though I’ve gotten a ton of clinical exposure by shadowing which I do about once a week and my research is patient facing so I spent the summer doing the honors research program where I got a grant and consent in and spoke to patients the whole summer.

I also know that I think they’re starting a new patient facing program for you all. Your class is going to have a new curriculum.

I think the real difference between us and UIC is the curriculum think we’re pretty different. We’re also a private school in there a public school yeah?
Yes. What’s your take on the difference between public and private institutions? Other than the tuition lol.

Loyola hands down. UIC is a good school but the OOS tuition is insane and never worth it unless it's your only acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your feedback. Without considering the tuition difference, would you change your pick?
If cost wasn't a factor, then I would probably lean towards UIC based on the location (more central to opportunities around Chicago) and research (important for competitive specialties like Optho).

If cost wasn't a factor, then I would probably lean towards UIC based on the location (more central to opportunities around Chicago) and research (important for competitive specialties like Optho).
Research at Loyola is strong if not stronger, do agree that Loyola is more in the burbs! About 25 mins from downtown.

Research at Loyola is strong if not stronger, do agree that Loyola is more in the burbs! About 25 mins from downtown.
Is research really stronger there? I'm also comparing UIC to Loyola and was wondering how to find out which school is stronger in research opportunities.

Is research really stronger there? I'm also comparing UIC to Loyola and was wondering how to find out which school is stronger in research opportunities.
Loyola is on the campus of a level 1 trauma center, cancer center, burn center, quaternary care hospital. There’s research in every single department you can imagine. Plus some cool basic science research too.