UIL vs Metro vs UCSF vs U conn, need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

netter45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've read over the residency reviews a few hundred times but was seeking advice on these residencies, maybe some insider info, make sure the reasons I'm ranking them are correct.

University of Illinois Peoria- Great program, residents seem happy, great rotations, good flight program, PD seems responsive to residents.
(-) Though its out in the middle of nowhere and seems have a rural feel to the program.

University of Conn- (+) Big program, well know enough, resident seem sarcastic in a good way. Simulation lab is second to none. Lots of free time, Seem little light on trauma, residents weren't getting procedures, its located in CT

Metro Health/ Cleveland Clinic- Major program with good rep, a lot of trauma, a lot of path. Metro health + Cleveland clinic add a nice diversity of path. Rumors of PD being a bully, however residents said he is great. I like Cleveland. Residents seem like a crazy fun loving group, really crazy..

UCSF Fresno- Fantastic program, great rep, great residents, located in Fresno, 4 year program.

University of Texas Houston- Great program, huge hospitals, a lot of sick patients, PD seems responsive to residents. Everyone looked very tired. 12 hr shifts, a lot of them.

As you can tell the reputation of the program has importance to me personally. Character flaw I guess. Besides that any input on anything I mentioned, or maybe something I forgot?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I can chime in regarding UCONN, my home program: I wouldn't exactly call it light on trauma.

If I can chime in regarding UCONN, my home program: I wouldn't exactly call it light on trauma.

My impression from my time (4th year rotation) at Hartford Hospital (the main site for UConn) was that they had lots of trauma and there was no issue getting procedures...there were typically several trauma activations per shift with every resident getting a good number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great feedback I really appreciate it, please feel free to PM if you don't want to post.

I rotated at University of IL in Peoria as a 4th yr. medical student. I loved it there! The attendings were all great and down to earth. They enjoyed what they did and spent time teaching. The PD is great as well. He truly cares about his residents. The residents also seemed fun and appeared to enjoy it there. The catchment area of their hospital is large. You definitely see a lot of pathology.

I interviewed at 3 of the programs and rotated at one of them. I think Peoria, Metro, and Fresno will all be great places to train. My 2 cents about Fresno is that the faculty seem great, the autonomy is 2nd to no where that I've seen. The residents were probably one of the most confident and competent group I've seen as well, plus a lot of fun. FWIW I think Fresno would be one of the best places to train in the country if it was in a more desireable location. Again, just my opinion!

Last edited:
I rotated as a fourth year at both MetroHealth and the Cleveland Clinic. Great programs and the combination of the two is unlike any other program. You get a strong mix of county and academics. And both ED's stay very busy, I never had a single moment of down time. You see everything. Tons of blunt and penetrating traumas at Metro and then tons of academic stuff at the Clinic. You work hard. The attendings at both institutions were awesome to work with. There is a strong focus on teaching. I have read the rumors about the PD being a bully but have no idea where these stemmed from. I really liked him and he never came across like that to me nor heard any residents mention it. The place is amazing. You couldn't ask for a better place to train.
I didn't click with the residents very well, not sure why. Otherwise I would have ranked it number 1.

I noticed on the website University of Illinois Peoria writes they have a peds floor and internal medicine rotation? Is this true, or just hasn't been updated yet?