UIUC SOM info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here have any info/opinion on U. Illinois School of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign? haven't heard much about it and was wondering if anyone here is heading there (or considering it). if so, what are your reasons? i am looking in to med schools in IL (not just chicago), since my spouse and i are moving there soon. as far as UIUC goes, i'd like to get a general impression about its overall standing as a med school/research institution...

any feedback would be much appreciated on the program and its relative strengths and weaknesses. also, do any of you happen to know if it's difficult to land a competitive residency spot, post-UIUC?

thanks-
iam

Members don't see this ad.

All the UI med schools (the 4 campuses) are connected so you apply to UIC and then they assign you to a campus. I got assigned to Rockford this year. Anyway, as far as I understand, the only people who go to UIUC all their years are the MSTP students. People at Rockford or Peoria spend 1 year at UIUC and the next 3 at their respective campuses. Campus assignment is not supposed to be merit-based. They claimed it was first come first serve but who knows how they really do it since on this site there were people who interviewed later than I did and they were still assigned their first choice, Chicago, while I got my last choice. I'm not an ILL resident, though. Go figure. It doesn't matter anyway since I won't be going there.

iam said:
anyone here have any info/opinion on U. Illinois School of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign? haven't heard much about it and was wondering if anyone here is heading there (or considering it). if so, what are your reasons? i am looking in to med schools in IL (not just chicago), since my spouse and i are moving there soon. as far as UIUC goes, i'd like to get a general impression about its overall standing as a med school/research institution...

any feedback would be much appreciated on the program and its relative strengths and weaknesses. also, do any of you happen to know if it's difficult to land a competitive residency spot, post-UIUC?

thanks-
iam

ah, i'm a dunce. thanks for clearing that up for me. so i take it you get a UIC degree, and the campus thing is another issue...

are you not going to be attending UIC because you didn't like it (such as the campus placement not being your choice), or did you simply get a better offer?

congratulations, if so, and thanks for the info!

:)