UIWSOM vs NYITCOM-jonesboro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaitoun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been accepted to NYITCOM-Jonesboro but waitlisted at UIWSOM; however, I attended UIWSOM's first interview of the cycle so there's a good chance I might get accepted off the waitlist. If such circumstance arises, I will have to choose between the two. I want to know what you guys know/think/suggest regarding the two programs. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

From what I know/understand:

NYITCOM has excellent residency placement rates, P/F curriculum, recorded lectures, many research opportunities, provides pathoma/first aid. They are established, accredited and have a good rep. They seem to be very community oriented and care a lot about their students. I don't how their clinical rotation sites are or how many they have.

UIWSOM also has a P/F curriculum. It is closer to my family, friends, and other people important to me since I am a TX resident. Staying in TX will perhaps put me in a better position to obtain residency here, and I want to establish my career in TX. I am somewhat familiar with San Antonio and comfortable with the urban vibe. They have good clinical rotation sites and I think they have done well for a brand new medical school. My support system and UIWSOM's access to GME is why I am leaning more towards UIWSOM; Texas is a pretty DO friendly state perhaps due to TCOM's presence. My only concern is that there are no board scores or a match list to evaluate the effectiveness of their patient based learning curriculum. Please let me know what you think; again, any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would be pretty hesitant about going to UIWSOM because they are so new and it's hard to evaluate them as a school. But honestly NYITCOM-Jonesboro is also very new (although they do have the support of a older institution). I really think it's important to consider where you will be able to succeed best as a student. If you think being near your family is going to really provide you with the support you need to best go through the hardship of medical school then that's really important to consider. Of course, you will find friends and create a support system wherever you go, but if you are close to your family, then that's hard to replace. I wouldn't discredit a school just because their new or not affiliated with an older school necessarily, but I would maybe reach out to UIWSOM and see if you could talk to a current student of something (some schools let you do this) and ask them if they feel supported by their intitution and how they feel things are going.

I personally think the schools are relatively close enough in age and reputation so I think based on what you have said it sounds like you would be more successful at UIWSOM. Either way though, congratulations, you're going to be a doctor :)

(I also have a post up about my school choices, if you wanted to take a sec and share your thoughts!)