UK citizens who studied medicine outside the EU who are not exempt from the PLAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irishlady

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,
This thread is for all those unfortunate UK citizens who studied outside of the UK and EU in order to complete their medical degree. I am sure I am not the only one who was horrified to learn that any UK citizen that studied outside of the EU has to complete the PLAB and prove their english language capability- which is fair enough considering the degree came from abroad. HOWEVER, people with an EU passport (which does not include the British for whatever reason) no matter where they have got their degree from in the world, can be exempt from the PLAB and apply for pre-registration with the GMC straight away.
I have told many people about this, especially to my own family and they do not believe me because of how ridiculous it sounds.
Of course, there are ways to be exempt from this whole process, so I wanted to start this thread to discuss the possible ways. I also want to know if anyone got around this successfully by applying for an Irish passport? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings everyone,
This thread is for all those unfortunate UK citizens who studied outside of the UK and EU in order to complete their medical degree. I am sure I am not the only one who was horrified to learn that any UK citizen that studied outside of the EU has to complete the PLAB and prove their english language capability- which is fair enough considering the degree came from abroad. HOWEVER, people with an EU passport (which does not include the British for whatever reason) no matter where they have got their degree from in the world, can be exempt from the PLAB and apply for pre-registration with the GMC straight away.
I have told many people about this, especially to my own family and they do not believe me because of how ridiculous it sounds.
Of course, there are ways to be exempt from this whole process, so I wanted to start this thread to discuss the possible ways. I also want to know if anyone got around this successfully by applying for an Irish passport? Thanks in advance!

In which country did you complete your medical degree? I believe workarounds are possible but it's based on the country from which the degree has been earned.

In which country did you complete your medical degree? I believe workarounds are possible but it's based on the country from which the degree has been earned.
My degree will come from the United Arab Emirates. I know of a senior from my university with a French passport who managed to do his F1/ internship in the UK straight after graduation.