UK grad interested in Ophthalmology training in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siddesh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there,

Basically a fresh intern here in UK. Interested if anyone could advise which institutions in the USA would consider away placements there. I think they call them 'away' or something like that meaning an attachement.

Also do any of the programs look favourable on UK grads in Ophthalmology there. I doubt there are many there. Has anyone come across UK graduates there? I hope the UK education system is looked upon with some degree of approval there.

Regards
Siddesh

Members don't see this ad.

siddesh said:
hi there,

Basically a fresh intern here in UK. Interested if anyone could advise which institutions in the USA would consider away placements there. I think they call them 'away' or something like that meaning an attachement.

Also do any of the programs look favourable on UK grads in Ophthalmology there. I doubt there are many there. Has anyone come across UK graduates there? I hope the UK education system is looked upon with some degree of approval there.

Regards
Siddesh

Try Wilmer (Johns Hopkins), Wills, Yale, Bascom, USC, or Iowa. Many state medical schools (i.e. public), however, have strict rules about non-US and non-allopathic medical students doing rotations at their program. We had two UK students do rotations at Iowa during my time as a resident, but you'll have to check if your school can come to Iowa.

I strongly advise coming to Iowa because we have an awesome program for medical students headed by Hiliary Beaver, MD and Andrew Lee, MD! :thumbup:

Contact info for the medical student coordinator is: Judi Pritchett (319) 356-1951

Thank you Mr Doan,

Strictly I am not a medical student anymore having graduated last year. Does this still mean I can do medical student rotations as an intern? I guess its down to individual policy maybe??

Many thanks
Siddesh

Andrew_Doan said:
Try Wilmer (Johns Hopkins), Wills, Yale, Bascom, USC, or Iowa. Many state medical schools (i.e. public), however, have strict rules about non-US and non-allopathic medical students doing rotations at their program. We had two UK students do rotations at Iowa during my time as a resident, but you'll have to check if your school can come to Iowa.

I strongly advise coming to Iowa because we have an awesome program for medical students headed by Hiliary Beaver, MD and Andrew Lee, MD! :thumbup:

Contact info for the medical student coordinator is: Judi Pritchett (319) 356-1951