UK Graduate to USA Radiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UKMedicalStudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a Medical Student in the UK , in a mid-top tier medical school. What are my chances of matching into a Radiology residency in the US? I am prepared to work in any part of the country. I obtained a score of 254 in Step 1 but have not yet taken the Step 2 exams. I also currently have no US clinical experience or LORs however this is something I am working towards. I also have 1 publication related to Radiology.

Also , would coming from the UK advantage me in any way as opposed to being a Caribbean/East Indian graduate?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I am a Medical Student in the UK , in a mid-top tier medical school. What are my chances of matching into a Radiology residency in the US? I am prepared to work in any part of the country. I obtained a score of 254 in Step 1 but have not yet taken the Step 2 exams. I also currently have no US clinical experience or LORs however this is something I am working towards. I also have 1 publication related to Radiology.

Also , would coming from the UK advantage me in any way as opposed to being a Caribbean/East Indian graduate?

Thank You
Still disadvantaged because programs can apply filters for IMGs in general, especially if you need a visa, but if you make it past the filters, most programs will see UK > Caribbean. Although I think many or most Caribbean students also have the advantage of doing two years in the US so they get two years of USCE along with LORs and just knowing people face to face.

Check out NRMP charting outcomes for the IMG for your chances based on your Step 1 score. What's good is radiology has decreased in competitiveness and you have a good Step 1 score and some research. Good luck!