Jan 2, 2021
Hello! I'm an IMG planning to take plab and do the fy1. I then plan on moving to Australia through the competent authority pathway. I want to pursue a surgery residency but it's only available to PR and citizens. Is it possible that the hospital I do my supervision (i.e. before getting the general registration) year in would sponsor me for a PR status? Or do I have to get my general registration first?
Also, if I do my core surgical training in UK can I apply for a PR as a surgeon( general) and take advance training in Australia?

I would really appreciate some light being shed on this matter. Thank you!


2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi EmrBee, it's possible you'll have some luck getting an answer here but the go to place if you want to talk to Australian students and doctors is the pagingdr forums: Login

Good luck!
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.