UK/Irish Med Schools -- 6 year prgm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdh86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking at applying for some of the 6 year programs in the UK/Ireland (much of my family is over there, so it's a big factor in why I'd like to attend), and I'm wondering if someone could help me in terms of grades required, what schools, etc.

I'm currently at Acadia University in Nova Scotia, with a major in Biology.

Will my University marks be taken into account, or will the focus more on my high school marks? What marks should I have to be 'competitive'? I had just moved when I did my grade twelve, so my average wasn't great. It was 81 overall :( But hopefully my Uni marks will be better.

Anyone have any advice? I'm filling out my Atlantic Bridge Application now (anyone want to proofread the personal statement?).

Any help that you could give would be awesome! Thanks!

CH

Members don't see this ad.

The current week's medical newspapers show an article on Trinity starting a five year program for a small number of people as they gradually plan to phase in a total 5-year program. The initial small group next year will be based on an aptitude test. Might be useful to you or not, I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a Biology major, then you can probably apply to 4 year Graduate Entry programmes in the UK - though as an international student it would be a little harder. However, the deadline for applications for starting med school next year (Oct 2005) is coming up very soon - October 15th! If you want to look at UK schools as well, you need to get in contact with UCAS asap for the application forms etc.

Incidentally, a UK grad entry course will look mainly at your university marks, so long as your school marks were OK (which as far as I can tell from an unfamiliar system, yours seem to be fine). The "normal" 5 year UK programmes will look more closely at your school marks, thought they will take into account your degree marks as well.

Hope that helped!

hey guys, i'm wondering
i'm in my first year undergrad at ubc right now and i'd like to transfer over to UK for medschool also

i'm just wondering how high my average should be to be accepted in?