UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be a dumb question, but for anyone living with dogs over in the UK: were you able to find the same dog foods or did you have to change brands?
Depends on the brand - we've got Hill's, royal canin, purina, I think eukeneuba and iams too. Not sure if the flavours differ somewhat - I used to have my dog on one of the Hill's d/d diets but the variety he ate wasn't available here. i ended up switching him to a UK brand (James Wellbeloved which is good) as he didn't *need* to be on the d/d (I got it at cost from work). plenty of good UK brands if you do need to switch, just bring enough of whatever you have to be able to do a gradual changeover if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the brand - we've got Hill's, royal canin, purina, I think eukeneuba and iams too. Not sure if the flavours differ somewhat - I used to have my dog on one of the Hill's d/d diets but the variety he ate wasn't available here. i ended up switching him to a UK brand (James Wellbeloved which is good) as he didn't *need* to be on the d/d (I got it at cost from work). plenty of good UK brands if you do need to switch, just bring enough of whatever you have to be able to do a gradual changeover if needed.

Thank you for your input! I had a feeling I'd have a hard time finding the brands I use. I may try to switch them over now to something I can get over there while there's less stress. Especially for my senior GSD, she's sooooo sensitive. What are the main pet supply stores in/near Edinburgh and is raw food challenging to find?

Thank you for your input! I had a feeling I'd have a hard time finding the brands I use. I may try to switch them over now to something I can get over there while there's less stress. Especially for my senior GSD, she's sooooo sensitive. What are the main pet supply stores in/near Edinburgh and is raw food challenging to find?
Pets at Home is the sort of petco/petsmart equivalent here, you can find most things there. Theres two around edinburgh, one is on one of the main roads to school. Zooplus.co.uk is an online shop, and there some nice dog stores in Edinburgh, two i frequent are Just Dogs http://www.justdogsshop.co.uk and Ruff It http://www.ruff-it.co.uk/index.html . Only raw food brand i know of is Nature's Menu as they offer some cooked and freeze dried treats as well, seems to be of good quality, i use their cooked treats all thetime.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 1st year GEP at Edinburgh. We pay about 30 pounds at the beginning of the year for all notes and handouts. Books are optional. I haven't felt the need to purchase any. All the books are also available in the library. I can't speak to how books are handled at the other UK schools.

You don't need to buy any books at all at RVC if you don't want to. The library has loads of copies and you can renew the books up to 50 times (I think?) each. The newer edition books are overnight loans and the older editions are 1 week loans, so you just have to stay on top of it with the renewals to avoid fees. You can easily keep a book for the whole term if it's a week loan or around 2 months if it's overnight.

That being said, I did buy a few books. I like to be able to write in them and highlight. But it's definitely not a requirement to buy any books.

All of our lecture notes are online, so you download them. If you want to print them, that cost is on you. They do provide hard copies of dissection guides, though. And they printed and bound the additional parasitology notes they made for us.

Pets at Home is the sort of petco/petsmart equivalent here, you can find most things there. Theres two around edinburgh, one is on one of the main roads to school. Zooplus.co.uk is an online shop, and there some nice dog stores in Edinburgh, two i frequent are Just Dogs http://www.justdogsshop.co.uk and Ruff It http://www.ruff-it.co.uk/index.html . Only raw food brand i know of is Nature's Menu as they offer some cooked and freeze dried treats as well, seems to be of good quality, i use their cooked treats all thetime.

Thank you so much!

o_O

It is not really necessary to buy books at UCD either... I did the 1st year then barely touched most of them. There are a few that they want you to read out of, but there are copies in the library and they also can easily be found online in pdf form. Some people prefer to buy books, I just found they collected dust.

I just declined my seat at RVC...I hope this helps someone who was waiting to hear!

Where I am there are stores that sell raw food brands I like, but in other areas the good ones are not easy to find.

I was more giving that face because of the raw food use--Not many vets like it.

I was more giving that face because of the raw food use--Not many vets like it.

It's not for every circumstance but I've seen many dogs thrive on raw food more so than kibble. All but one of the vets I've worked with over the years are very supportive of raw food when done properly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've accepted my offer for Dublin. :)

Has anyone heard anything further from Edinburgh? I received my acceptance email last week but my EUCLID and UCAS accounts still haven't been updated. I'm waiting to see whether there are any conditions to my offer.

It's not for every circumstance but I've seen many dogs thrive on raw food more so than kibble. All but one of the vets I've worked with over the years are very supportive of raw food when done properly.

That was not my experience in the UK, but maybe things have changed.

To those who have decided on Dublin, can I ask why you chose it over the others?
It was the only European school that I applied to and from talking to a vet I work with who went there I like their non-tracking structure, and the opportunities to possible visit/intern other European vet schools while I'm there.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten anything from RVC in regards to stuff for visa, housing, when school will start? I know they have their accepted students day in London at the end of March and unfortunately I can't go because of the internship I'm involved in right now but I really really really just want to know everything about RVC since i'm sooo excited to start there in the fall. I'm aware i'm jumping the gun.

Has anyone gotten anything from RVC in regards to stuff for visa, housing, when school will start? I know they have their accepted students day in London at the end of March and unfortunately I can't go because of the internship I'm involved in right now but I really really really just want to know everything about RVC since i'm sooo excited to start there in the fall. I'm aware i'm jumping the gun.

I'm in the same boat as you and was actually wondering the same! I am assuming we are going to get some sort of welcome package, as I am unable to attend the offer's holders day as well. Also, have you heard anything about how to pay the deposit (believe it was $1500) ? And one last thing, I recommend everyone going to the RVC to go to a group called "New Faces at the RVC" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5120625127/

There are students posting housing opportunities, AHEMS placements and things associated with the school all the time so it is nice for us freshers coming in or use the platform to ask questions:)

Did anyone get their offer packet in the mail from Edinburgh yet? I think I've narrowed down my choices to Edinburgh and RVC...currently trying to decide gahhhh!

I'm in the same boat as you and was actually wondering the same! I am assuming we are going to get some sort of welcome package, as I am unable to attend the offer's holders day as well. Also, have you heard anything about how to pay the deposit (believe it was $1500) ? And one last thing, I recommend everyone going to the RVC to go to a group called "New Faces at the RVC" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5120625127/

There are students posting housing opportunities, AHEMS placements and things associated with the school all the time so it is nice for us freshers coming in or use the platform to ask questions:)

Maybe they'll send us a welcome package around the time of the offer's holders day? But I haven't heard anything about the deposit yet either. My last email from them was them informing me that they received my email about accepting their offer sooo I feel like everything should be coming soon. Hopefully.

I just joined that group on facebook!! It honestly just made me even more excited!

It was the only UK school that I applied to and from talking to a vet I work with who went there I like their non-tracking structure, and the opportunities to possible visit/intern other European vet schools while I'm there.
Little Advice don't call Dublin a UK school the Irish will not take kindly to that. Ireland is an EU school not a UK school, only Northern Ireland is UK.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm working on setting up a (phone) meeting with Bronwyn from UCD, so if there's any specific questions you have about Dublin, I can inquire about them. :) (and thank you for the google doc link!)

I'm working on setting up a (phone) meeting with Bronwyn from UCD, so if there's any specific questions you have about Dublin, I can inquire about them. :) (and thank you for the google doc link!)

If you happen to see this before your phone interview with Bronwyn, could you ask her if we can complete any of the EMS before starting at UCD and how we would find out what the specific requirements are? I know Edinburgh allows this which would make breaks go a lot smoother the first year for students.

If you happen to see this before your phone interview with Bronwyn, could you ask her if we can complete any of the EMS before starting at UCD and how we would find out what the specific requirements are? I know Edinburgh allows this which would make breaks go a lot smoother the first year for students.

If it's still the same as it was a few years ago, you can only complete pre-clinical EMS before starting. They prefer clinical EMS 3rd year on.

If it's still the same as it was a few years ago, you can only complete pre-clinical EMS before starting. They prefer clinical EMS 3rd year on.

At Glasgow you can only be exempt for 6 weeks pre-clinical EMS (which any clinical experience as an international student would be counted as pre-clinical). You are required to do 2 weeks each of dairy, lambing, and equine. You can start clinical EMS as soon as you're finished pre-clinical EMS, which could be as soon as 2nd year summer.

@shortnsweet GLaSS building opens Monday!

I'm talking with her next Wednesday, so I will ask her then.

At Glasgow you can only be exempt for 6 weeks pre-clinical EMS (which any clinical experience as an international student would be counted as pre-clinical). You are required to do 2 weeks each of dairy, lambing, and equine. You can start clinical EMS as soon as you're finished pre-clinical EMS, which could be as soon as 2nd year summer.

@shortnsweet GLaSS building opens Monday!

I saw it!!! Looks amazing! (Though I am mad jealous....)

Awesome! It will be nice to know some fellow-SDNrs over there. :)

Also accepting to Dublin!!! Any of you guys considering apartments or are most of you living on campus for the first two semesters?

I was originally considering getting an apartment, but after reading the older UK/Irish threads I'm leaning towards living on campus for the first year. They have a hall that's geared more towards grad students, so I'm thinking that will be the best/easiest option to start with.

Anyone else considering taking their pet(s) with them overseas?

I was originally considering getting an apartment, but after reading the older UK/Irish threads I'm leaning towards living on campus for the first year. They have a hall that's geared more towards grad students, so I'm thinking that will be the best/easiest option to start with.

Word of advice... if you have already lived in the dorms in undergrad, then I would advise against it. You might meet 1 or 2 people, but if you have lived in an apartment since then you will be much happier in that atmosphere. Even though they have a dorm which is for grad students - you will still hear all of the undergrads partying 7 days a week usually. I never lived in Glenomena as it is called, but I heard from everyone who did how loud it was. I am sure they have or will have a FB group set up so consider trying to find some people to share a place with if you can.

Word of advice... if you have already lived in the dorms in undergrad, then I would advise against it. You might meet 1 or 2 people, but if you have lived in an apartment since then you will be much happier in that atmosphere. Even though they have a dorm which is for grad students - you will still hear all of the undergrads partying 7 days a week usually. I never lived in Glenomena as it is called, but I heard from everyone who did how loud it was. I am sure they have or will have a FB group set up so consider trying to find some people to share a place with if you can.
Thank you for the advice! I'll keep my eyes open for a FB group. :)

Has anyone heard anything about RVC scholarship? They said end of March, right?

I haven't heard anything yet either! But I kinda think we'll be hearing from them again soon. It looks like the trend to their emails is that they send one out at the beginning of the month.

They have actually already awarded it. They contacted shortlisted applicants near the end of February and made their decision about a week ago. I didn't get it, but was super happy to have been considered!

They have actually already awarded it. They contacted shortlisted applicants near the end of February and made their decision about a week ago. I didn't get it, but was super happy to have been considered!

Cool, thanks!

Hi guys! I am having a lot of trouble deciding between PennVet and the University of Edinburgh for veterinary school. Does anyone have any pro/cons list of each school? I really need help making the decision. On some level Edinburgh is attractive to me because it is a new exciting place as I am from the suburbs of PA, but Penn has so much prestige and I just feel like the program offers plenty of opportunity for students. Any help comparing the two programs would be much appreciated!