UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to University of Glasgow!

Just received an acceptance at Glasgow as well!

Just got accepted to Glasgow!
Wow, that was a super fast turnaround! Congratulations, guys!

I take it you all interviewed on Monday? I've heard nothing yet, but I imagine it'll probably be a few days until they get to our interview group. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I take it you all interviewed on Monday? I've heard nothing yet, but I imagine it'll probably be a few days until they get to our interview group. :)

Thanks! Yes, mine was Monday morning. I'd guess it might be sometime next week for later in the week interview groups.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Yes, mine was Monday morning. I'd guess it might be sometime next week for later in the week interview groups.
Yeah, definitely seems the most likely case, for sure. I really feel in love with pretty much everything about Glasgow yesterday... I'm hoping I got in! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, definitely seems the most likely case, for sure. I really feel in love with pretty much everything about Glasgow yesterday... I'm hoping I got in! :xf:

Seems like a very cool place. I'm going to have a tough time deciding between the UK schools!

Hey guys! Joining the threads a little late, but I have been reading them for a while now. Did anyone else have weird issues with Dublin's application process? I was accepted but it was weird how it happened... They had first lost my transfer payment and two months later they said they had lost my application. And after replying and sending multiple emails with still no response from them, a week and a half after they emailed me (mid Dec) an acceptance letter... o_O

Last edited:
Is anyone else still waiting on RVC?

Anyone interviewing for Edinburgh (or who already did today): the email says the dress code is business casual but I don't trust it. Thoughts? Also, how was the interview? There's no feedback on here because they only recently started conducting interviews.

Anyone interviewing for Edinburgh (or who already did today): the email says the dress code is business casual but I don't trust it. Thoughts? Also, how was the interview? There's no feedback on here because they only recently started conducting interviews.

I'm interviewing tomorrow and definitely will be wearing dress pants & a blazer. I'd rather be over dressed than under!

Yay also got accepted to Glasgow :) I really enjoyed their presentation and the interview itself. It really felt like a conversation and not like I was being interviewed. Now I've got my Edinburgh interview tomorrow. A little nervous for that one!

Reactions: 2 users

I actually had my interview Tuesday, so I was surprised to hear back on Friday

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was surprised to hear back so soon! I interviewed on Wednesday and found out Thursday that I was accepted. I'm guessing they probably sent out answers after they finished the interviews Thursdays.

And yup @DogtorCK, I am tomorrow :D

^.^ Got in to the 5 year program at RVC!

Reactions: 3 users
Still no email from Glasgow. :( Seeing as it's almost 7 PM over there now (if they're still not traveling), I'm going to assume that it isn't coming today. Hopefully tomorrow! I would be so incredibly happy if I got accepted there, but I'm starting to lose a little hope.

Still no email from Glasgow. :( Seeing as it's almost 7 PM over there now (if they're still not traveling), I'm going to assume that it isn't coming today. Hopefully tomorrow! I would be so incredibly happy if I got accepted there, but I'm starting to lose a little hope.

Some people were informed on the day of their interview. As I remember, I had to wait a couple days. Don't give up hope yet.

Yay Glasgow peeps! I miss it SO much. But I'll be back to visit in 4 weeks!!! Eeeeeeeeee!!!!! CANNOT WAIT.

For anyone accepted into the 4-year programs at UCD or RVC, what were your stats? And are you planning on going?

For anyone accepted into the 4-year programs at UCD or RVC, what were your stats? And are you planning on going?

I got in at both and have okay stats & some pretty good experiences.

Cumulative GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.9
Last 45 GPA: 3.9
GRE: 163/154/4.5 (V/Q/W)

Undergrad in business, significant animal experience 5K plus hrs, (wildlife, small animal, horse), some vet experience, business ownership, investment experience and really good references.

I definitely plan on heading to one of the 4 year programs in the British Isles, just haven't decided which yet.

I have a bachelors in a non science field. RVC offered me 5 year (said I could do 4 if I took a few more classes) and Dublin offered me 4.

3.6 cum GPA
3.88 science GPA
3.88 last 45

GRE: 161/158/5 (V/Q/W)

Moderate experience: ~1500 hours shadowing one mixed practice vet, another 500 on a small farm.

Tons of leadership stuff, extra curriculars, internships, etc. during undergrad which was not vet related but I think helped. And I'm 26 so I have the whole life experience/maturity thing going for me.

I definitely plan on going abroad. Hoping Edinburgh offers me a 4-year spot.

I was accepted into UCD's 4 year program:
cGPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.53
Last 45: 3.66ish
GRE: 156/149/4 (V/Q/W)

I had a little over 500ish hours vet experience, mostly small animal. Decent amount of animal experience (equine, small animal, and large animal). I had quite a few extra curriculars & leadership positions throughout undergrad. I've been doing equine stress research & some ochem research as well for the past year. I lived in Ireland (Cork) this past summer working at a vet clinic as well, so I think that helped me out.
Waiting to hear back from US schools to make a decision, but I would honestly love to go back. :)

Was legit told by multiple profs/advisors that I would "never get in anywhere" because my grades/scores were not "competitive" enough...I mean yea I got rejected a ton of places, but I also got in to RVC (4 year), UCD (4 year) and Glasgow so hope is never lost!

Cumulative GPA~ 3.4
Science~3.3
Last 45~3.4

GRE:150/155/4 (V/Q/W)

Experience:
700 small animal
100 large animal
1000 conservation/zoo education
50 exotics husbandry
200+ doing physical therapy with guiding eye dogs
1000+ fostering guiding eye dogs
Also did a bunch of research in genetics of an invasive species
Bunch of other random stuff too!

I am waiting to hear back from Edinburgh and a few other schools in the US before I make the big decision!
Good luck everyone! <3

Is anyone else debating between the 5 year and a 4 year in the states?

Anyone know how long a school year at RVC is? I tried finding it online but can't find it on their site. I'm assuming their semesters aren't like US schools? (Beginning around late August to mid-late May)

Anyone know how long a school year at RVC is? I tried finding it online but can't find it on their site. I'm assuming their semesters aren't like US schools? (Beginning around late August to mid-late May)

I tried looking as well and couldn't find anything. Would love to know though if anyone currently going there has any input!

Anyone know how long a scEhool year at RVC is? I tried finding it online but can't find it on their site. I'm assuming their semesters aren't like US schools? (Beginning around late August to mid-late May)

We started on 17th September with an "international students pre-sessional" week. That was basically registration, some cultural sessions, and some mock lectures and a short mock exam at the end. Then the rest of the students joined on 28th September for the official start of the course.

So for the four year program 2015 - 2016 (should be pretty similar for the 5 year):

International student start: 17th September
Term start: 28th September
Term ended: 15th December
Term start: 11th January
End of term: 10th March
(Time to do Animal Husbandry Extramural Studies - 2 weeks of lambing is done here, plus whatever other AHEMS you schedule)
Start of term: 25th April
End of classes: 27th May
(a few mock exams in this time, but mostly study time)
Exams: Over a few days between 14th and 28th June

It's very very different from the US school system. We only had one small exam in December, we'll have one more in March, and then the whole year's material is tested in June, which is where 90% of your grades for the year come from. Basically, it's great if you don't do well with constant testing and if you'd rather concentrate on learning the information long-term and integrating it. There's definitely some pros and cons to it.

AHEMS is basically 12 weeks of animal husbandry you'll be required to do on your own time. It's 2 weeks of lambing, 2 weeks of pigs, 2 weeks of dairy, 2 weeks of equine, and the rest your choice. You'll hear more about it later if you choose to attend.

Reactions: 2 users
We started on 17th September with an "international students pre-sessional" week. That was basically registration, some cultural sessions, and some mock lectures and a short mock exam at the end. Then the rest of the students joined on 28th September for the official start of the course.

So for the four year program 2015 - 2016 (should be pretty similar for the 5 year):

(Time to do Animal Husbandry Extramural Studies - 2 weeks of lambing is done here, plus whatever other AHEMS you schedule)

It's very very different from the US school system. We only had one small exam in December, we'll have one more in March, and then the whole year's material is tested in June, which is where 90% of your grades for the year come from. Basically, it's great if you don't do well with constant testing and if you'd rather concentrate on learning the information long-term and integrating it. There's definitely some pros and cons to it.

AHEMS is basically 12 weeks of animal husbandry you'll be required to do on your own time. It's 2 weeks of lambing, 2 weeks of pigs, 2 weeks of dairy, 2 weeks of equine, and the rest your choice. You'll hear more about it later if you choose to attend.

I was accepted into the accelerated 4-year program so does this mean summer won't begin until mid-late June? I'm only asking since I'm looking at housing and was trying to decide between 43 weeks or 51 weeks (which is almost a year and seems too much!) tenancy agreement.

Thank you for this information! Did you start with none of the AHEMS done? I thought I read that they require you to have finished the 12 weeks of AHEMS by the time we start the 3rd BVetMed year (which would be year 2 for the four year programme) which essentially means we have to do 12 weeks of AHEMS in one year instead of the regular two..

I was accepted into the accelerated 4-year program so does this mean summer won't begin until mid-late June? I'm only asking since I'm looking at housing and was trying to decide between 43 weeks or 51 weeks (which is almost a year and seems too much!) tenancy agreement.

It means that this year the four year program has exams through the 28th of June. Plan on exams lasting through June.

Thank you for this information! Did you start with none of the AHEMS done? I thought I read that they require you to have finished the 12 weeks of AHEMS by the time we start the 3rd BVetMed year (which would be year 2 for the four year programme) which essentially means we have to do 12 weeks of AHEMS in one year instead of the regular two..

Yes, you have to do 12 years by the start of BVetMed3. If you're in the accelerated program, they'll count up to 6 weeks of work that you do before the start of the course, and you can ask them to accept work you've done within the last 2 year or so. They should email something to you about all of this within the next couple of months if you accept their offer.

I did 4 weeks of AHEMS in the summer before starting the course. I'll do four more in the spring, then the last four this summer. It's doable, but make it easy on yourself and get as much done before you start as you can.

Did anyone write a thank you note after Edinburghs interview and if so, to whom?

I did ([email protected]), but only as a segue to informing them of my Fall 2015 grades.
It would certainly be the polite thing to do, but I wouldn't want to inundate their likely full mailbox.

To those on this forum who have chosen to attend (or already do attend) RVC, would you be comfortable
with explaining why you choose/chose to attend and if you do attend, could you describe your favorite and least favorite
aspects of the institution?

I received my official acceptance from UCD this morning! Everyone else that got offers, was it a conditional offer on the basis that you maintain a 3.30 GPA? Or was that just given to me since my GPA was on the lower end of the spectrum?

I received my official acceptance from UCD this morning! Everyone else that got offers, was it a conditional offer on the basis that you maintain a 3.30 GPA? Or was that just given to me since my GPA was on the lower end of the spectrum?

How long did it take for you to receive the email? I got a unofficial letter from them (Eva, who is in charge of international office or something?), stating that she would be getting back to me by the 9th and it's already the 11th... It's just really nerve-racking, and I'm not sure if I should email again regarding this?? I did also have emails with Paddy, the Program Offica Admin, but I'm not sure what else I should do...

Yeah, I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to Glasgow. :( I actually am pretty bummed about it, as I absolutely loved everything about the school and I think I would have been really happy going there.

I mean, I can't say for sure yet since I haven't gotten any emails, but seeing as it has been over a week without a word from them, I'm assuming I was rejected. That, or my application just fell into an abyss somewhere.

Oh, well. Two more schools still in the running...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to Glasgow. :( I actually am pretty bummed about it, as I absolutely loved everything about the school and I think I would have been really happy going there.

I mean, I can't say for sure yet since I haven't gotten any emails, but seeing as it has been over a week without a word from them, I'm assuming I was rejected. That, or my application just fell into an abyss somewhere.

Oh, well. Two more schools still in the running...

Do you know if they wait list? I'm waiting to hear from Edinburgh and if I get in, I'll be declining my acceptance to Glasgow, Dublin, and RVC - you never know how many seats might open up! It ain't over until they give you a rejection letter. Also, from last year it sounds like more than one person had an issue with their application or acceptance falling through the cracks.

Last edited:
Welp, just shot an email off to Glasgow's admissions. I feel bad... like I'm probing and being a nuisance. I seriously thought that I'd been rejected and that perhaps the rejections went out later than the acceptances, but from previous years' threads, it almost looks like they go out at the same time. And then @DogtorCK mentioned other past applications seemingly falling through cracks. So I'm not so sure anymore.

Looking forward to any answer and being able to (hopefully) have some closure! :)

ETA: They just got back to me; apparently not all decisions have been made yet. Looks like I'm still in the game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
So, now that interviews are over, where does everyone stand? Does anyone else have a school abroad as their #1 or would you take a US school if you get in? For those who applied to all 4, which one was your favorite? Anyone else dying of anxiety to hear back from schools, either UK or US?

I applied to all 4, Edinburgh is my #1 choice, including US schools. If I get accepted there, it might be a world record response/payment of my deposit to secure my seat before I have time to wake up from the dream. And I am definitely dying of anxiety waiting for the end of the month to come.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So, now that interviews are over, where does everyone stand? Does anyone else have a school abroad as their #1 or would you take a US school if you get in? For those who applied to all 4, which one was your favorite? Anyone else dying of anxiety to hear back from schools, either UK or US?

I applied to all 4, Edinburgh is my #1 choice, including US schools. If I get accepted there, it might be a world record response/payment of my deposit to secure my seat before I have time to wake up from the dream. And I am definitely dying of anxiety waiting for the end of the month to come.

I had applied to a **** ton of schools and had 3 interviews in the US and an interview at RVC. RVC was always my #1 choice so the second they gave me a conditional offer for the 4 year program I was on cloud 9. Also don't worry about the world record response- I literally got the acceptance and sent an email immediately back where I was trying to be formal but I really just wanted to send an email saying " YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!".

Also I hope you hear back from Edinburgh soon!!! A girl from my masters program goes there and absolutely loves it!

What are everyone's thoughts on Dublin vs London vs Edinburgh for their 4 year programs? I'm trying to make a decision, and leaning towards Dublin, but the academics at both London and Edinburgh are better-but the cost at Dublin is better. Things to consider?

I'm waiting to hear back from Wisconsin (my IS), but if I don't get in there, I will for sure be going to Dublin. :) I fell in love with the city when I was over there last summer, so I was beyond thrilled when I got the acceptance e-mail.

What are everyone's thoughts on Dublin vs London vs Edinburgh for their 4 year programs? I'm trying to make a decision, and leaning towards Dublin, but the academics at both London and Edinburgh are better-but the cost at Dublin is better. Things to consider?
You'd be getting a quality education at any of the schools. I would say that price should be one of the most important factors for deciding where to go.

Is the cost difference substantial? I was always told that Dublin was more expensive than the Scotland schools but haven't looked into it myself.

That is a really great question and I am going through the same thing. I got into london and dublin and my in state. My in state is way cheaper than either of those schools but I would be so happy in either Dublin or London. London is ranked higher but it is also more expensive for tuition and living. Dublin is cheaper but ranked lower. I am not really sure how much rankings actually have to do with anything but london seems like a top notch program that really prepares students the best. But I am also not sure how much different the schools are. Basically I am having a very tough time deciding

Is the cost difference substantial? I was always told that Dublin was more expensive than the Scotland schools but haven't looked into it myself.

RVC (£33,000) is the most expensive followed by Edinburgh (£29,600) and then Dublin (€33,500) is the cheapest. I also would assume that living expenses are in the same order as that.

I got into RVC and Dublin so far, waiting on Edinburgh still. Definitely having a hard time deciding on where to go.

Last edited:
Currently I'm trying to decide between RVC and an OOS school. Unfortunately, I got the 5 year RVC so there's still a very large price differential.