UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILDSU

RVC c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This thread is for people applying to UK/Irish Veterinary schools (Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, Dublin) for the class of 2021/2022.
Has anyone received interview invites from these schools yet? As a student from the US, I applied to Glasgow and RVC. I have not heard anything yet.
Best of luck to everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied to edinburgh & glasgow. Haven't heard anything yet, but wasn't planning on hearing anything for a while. Do they let you know/interview sooner than other schools? I was assuming I'd hear from them around the same time as other schools which seems to be november/december at earliest.

I've applied to edinburgh & glasgow. Haven't heard anything yet, but wasn't planning on hearing anything for a while. Do they let you know/interview sooner than other schools? I was assuming I'd hear from them around the same time as other schools which seems to be november/december at earliest.
I got an email from them that said they'd let us know about interview details as soon as possible after the September 15th VMCAS deadline. I know California interviews are coming up really soon (October), and New York interviews are in February.
Also, I noticed you're from Maine -- I'm from Maine too. I don't live there now though. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from them that said they'd let us know about interview details as soon as possible after the September 15th VMCAS deadline. I know California interviews are coming up really soon (October), and New York interviews are in February.
Also, I noticed you're from Maine -- I'm from Maine too. I don't live there now though. Best of luck!

which school emailed you? Edinburgh interviews in feb (both California and New York).

huh, I didn't get an email from them! was it an unsolicited email or did you email them and they responded with that?

Anyways, good luck! Where in Maine are you from? I'm not originally from here, but my wife is so we moved back here after living out of the country for a while.

I am a Canadian student, and I have applied to Edinburgh, RVC, Dublin and Glasgow. Assuming we won't hear anything for a couple months, but will report back if I receive any emails/info from any of the schools! Good luck everybody!

Just wanted to wish you all good luck! I didn't apply to any of the UK schools, but if anyone has Dublin-specific questions, I'd love to help! ;)

Just wanted to wish you all good luck! I didn't apply to any of the UK schools, but if anyone has Dublin-specific questions, I'd love to help! ;)

What made you decide on Dublin? How was the transition with moving countries?

huh, I didn't get an email from them! was it an unsolicited email or did you email them and they responded with that?

Anyways, good luck! Where in Maine are you from? I'm not originally from here, but my wife is so we moved back here after living out of the country for a while.
I'm from Orono!
Both. I emailed them and chatted with them on the AAVMC online vet school conference back in July, and I asked them specifics about dates and about the interview process, but I also got an email from them a little over a week after I was verified that said:
"
Thank you for your completed application which I have received through VMCAS. thank you for completing your application promptly, it makes life so much easier for us!

I am delighted that you are considering our school for your veterinary education.

We will be interviewing in California in October, and in New York in February, and I will be in touch shortly after the closing date with further information on the interview process and the location.

For applicants from California and surrounding states, we may only be able to give you a few weeks notice, but we will get to you as soon as we can.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best wishes

Joyce (Director of Admissions & Studetn Service, University of Glasgow, School of Veterinary Medicine)"

I'm from Orono!
Both. I emailed them and chatted with them on the AAVMC online vet school conference back in July, and I asked them specifics about dates and about the interview process, but I also got an email from them a little over a week after I was verified that said:
"
Thank you for your completed application which I have received through VMCAS. thank you for completing your application promptly, it makes life so much easier for us!

I am delighted that you are considering our school for your veterinary education.

We will be interviewing in California in October, and in New York in February, and I will be in touch shortly after the closing date with further information on the interview process and the location.

For applicants from California and surrounding states, we may only be able to give you a few weeks notice, but we will get to you as soon as we can.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best wishes

Joyce (Director of Admissions & Studetn Service, University of Glasgow, School of Veterinary Medicine)"

That makes me nervous! I was verified over a week ago and did not receive an email from Glasgow. When did you submit/get verified ILDSU?

That makes me nervous! I was verified over a week ago and did not receive an email from Glasgow. When did you submit/get verified ILDSU?

I was verified on the 24th of august and never received that email either. hopefully its not a bad sign!

I was verified on the 24th of august and never received that email either. hopefully its not a bad sign!

It certainly made me nervous. Will definitely post on here as soon as I hear anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
What made you decide on Dublin? How was the transition with moving countries?

I'd done an internship at a clinic in Ireland previously, and honestly I just really wanted to go back. I don't know of anyone that has had any major problems with moving over- everyone at UCD is super helpful, and they really do all that they can to help make the transition as smooth as possible.
If you do end up coming here, I'd recommend moving over a little early, even if you're staying in on-campus accommodation. Our orientation is pretty time-intensive, so you won't have much time for settling in & exploring right before classes start. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted VMCAS on August 14th, I was verified on August 25th, and I received that email on September 4th. I'm not sure what the email means for interviews, but at least it's a confirmation that they have received your application. Maybe they haven't processed your application yet? It wouldn't hurt to email them to double check. I hope everything goes well for you!

I submitted VMCAS on August 14th, I was verified on August 25th, and I received that email on September 4th. I'm not sure what the email means for interviews, but at least it's a confirmation that they have received your application. Maybe they haven't processed your application yet? It wouldn't hurt to email them to double check. I hope everything goes well for you!
Yeah probably good to double check. What email address did you receive the email from? Just wondering who I should contact :) Thank you!!

I'd done an internship at a clinic in Ireland previously, and honestly I just really wanted to go back. I don't know of anyone that has had any major problems with moving over- everyone at UCD is super helpful, and they really do all that they can to help make the transition as smooth as possible.
If you do end up coming here, I'd recommend moving over a little early, even if you're staying in on-campus accommodation. Our orientation is pretty time-intensive, so you won't have much time for settling in & exploring right before classes start. :)
Thats good to know! Thank you!

That specific email was from a "do not reply" email address, but I've been in correspondence via email with admissions using this email address:
[email protected]

They are sending interview invites out now via email, at least for California interviews. I'm not sure about New York though.
Good luck!

They are sending interview invites out now via email, at least for California interviews. I'm not sure about New York though.
Good luck!

Good luck to you! I haven't gotten any emails, but I'm hoping this is because I will be interviewing in New York and they aren't sending those invites out yet.

Good luck to you! I haven't gotten any emails, but I'm hoping this is because I will be interviewing in New York and they aren't sending those invites out yet.
Yeah I chose New York too, so I am hoping thats why I haven't heard... which UK/Irish schools did you apply to?

Yeah I chose New York too, so I am hoping thats why I haven't heard... which UK/Irish schools did you apply to?

what do you mean you chose new york? I think ILDSU is talking about glasgow interviews. I dont think (unless I messed up) that we've been given the option yet for glasgow where to interview. I kind of assumed that they are just sending out interview requests for people that are located on the west coast because they assume they will want to interview in california, but I honestly have no idea.

I apologize for my lack of clarity! Sometimes I forget this is a multi-school thread, and most of the discussion has been about Glasgow.
Yes, I was talking about Glasgow.

ILDSU am I correct that they are sending an interview email to you specifically for a california interview or is it allowing you to pick where you interview?

what do you mean you chose new york? I think ILDSU is talking about glasgow interviews. I dont think (unless I messed up) that we've been given the option yet for glasgow where to interview. I kind of assumed that they are just sending out interview requests for people that are located on the west coast because they assume they will want to interview in california, but I honestly have no idea.

Oh sorry ya I am not sure. I could have worded that better! I can't remember what school it was, but on VMCAS it wanted me to select the interview location (NYC, California, etc..). It might have been RVC.

I had to select a location for RVC, but not for Glasgow.
The email I got about interviews for Glasgow was specifically for interviews in California, with dates to chose from. They did mention that if my availability didn't work for that time, that they would be having interviews in NYC this February, but they didn't say anything more detailed than that. I think the emails are geared towards the student/location.

I would email them to ask when you will know about NYC interviews.

RVC UPDATE:
I got an email from RVC this morning that said that my application was received, and that they will let us know in up to 4 weeks about interviews. They gave dates for LA, NYC, and Dallas interviews.

RVC UPDATE:
I got an email from RVC this morning that said that my application was received, and that they will let us know in up to 4 weeks about interviews. They gave dates for LA, NYC, and Dallas interviews.

Also received this email!

Has anyone received confirmation of receiving your application from Edinburgh? Radio silence thus far...

Has anyone received confirmation of receiving your application from Edinburgh? Radio silence thus far...
Haven't heard anything, I did email them to confirm they received my GRE scores and they said they did. Nothing so far regarding applications being received or interview dates..

Hi all,

Good luck on your applications! I just wanted to say a few things in regards to applying to schools overseas. I applied and was accepted to a few of the UK schools and decided to go to University of Edinburgh for their 4 year program. I started this August. While I love the curriculum and find all of the lecturers extremely knowledgable, kind, and helpful, I would still recommend that you think very hard about actually attending RDSVS. I obviously do not know how the other schools are, but the infrastructure at University of Edinburgh is unbelievably disorganized (both at the main university and the Dick School). While everyone is very nice, they don't actually provide solutions to anything that goes wrong on their end. There is also an overall lack of consistency in information given to you from the university. If you have a question, you will receive many different answers to it, and probably none of them are correct.

If you do decide to go to RDSVS, as it really is a highly rated program, do live in university accommodations, at least for the first while. Finding flats here is impossible without first being in the country, and tricky once you are here. It is also difficult to set up bank accounts, cell phone service, doctor's office visits, etc. Hopefully the university will get better about supporting their incoming students, but it is a very frustrating and stressful first couple of months.

I just wanted to leave you with my experience thus far, which is quite similar to others in the program, so that you may make an informed decision. I am still happy with my decision and do not regret it at all. But, had someone given me this information, I might have chosen a different school or even chosen to stay in the US.

While everyone is very nice, they don't actually provide solutions to anything that goes wrong on their end. There is also an overall lack of consistency in information given to you from the university. If you have a question, you will receive many different answers to it, and probably none of them are correct.

can you go into a little more detail on what you mean here? Are you talking about the curriculum itself or with school/living related questions such as health care, housing etc?

I got my email from Glasgow today inviting me for an interview!

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed internationally for spots at U Glasgow?

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed internationally for spots at U Glasgow?
According to Glasgow's website, they receive about 1000 applications per year, and they interview around 220 applicants for approximately 125 spots in the class, with about 72 of those spots allotted to UK/EU applicants.
http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/vet/study/veterinarymedicinedegrees/

My interpretation: This leaves about 53 spots for international applicants, according to my calculations. Assuming the number of people they interview is proportional to the number of spots they have for each applicant category (UK/EU vs. international), that means they should interview 93-94 international applicants.

I hope this helps! My interpretation may or may not be correct, but it's the best I could come up with. Good luck!

According to Glasgow's website, they receive about 1000 applications per year, and they interview around 220 applicants for approximately 125 spots in the class, with about 72 of those spots allotted to UK/EU applicants.

My interpretation: This leaves about 53 spots for international applicants, according to my calculations. Assuming the number of people they interview is proportional to the number of spots they have for each applicant category (UK/EU vs. international), that means they should interview 93-94 international applicants.

I hope this helps! My interpretation may or may not be correct, but it's the best I could come up with. Good luck!

That helps immensely. I was thinking that I would be going against several hundred other applicants for an international spot. I had not found the number of 1000 applicants, so that helps also. Thank you!

Glasgow sent me an invitation to interview in NYC. But I haven't heard anything yet from Edinburgh, Royal, or Dublin.

Good to know Glasgow are sending out nyc interviews (although bummed I haven't gotten one yet. Hopefully they are still sending them out).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Good to know Glasgow are sending out nyc interviews (although bummed I haven't gotten one yet. Hopefully they are still sending them out).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Also haven't gotten one yet :( Hope they are still sending them out....

I received an interview invite via email 9/28 for the U of Glasgow. They are going to Cali Jan 30-Feb 1st and will be in NYC Feb 6th-10th. If anyone that received an invite hasn't responded- I would suggest to do so! They booked up Feb 6th and 10th the same day they sent out the email! My interview is the 7th. I honestly just threw the U of Glasgow on there as a last second decision. Glad I did

Posted using SDN Mobile

Starting to get discouraged about Glasgow, it was one of my top choices for a UK school... I think all of the invites must be sent out already if they are already booking up interview days...

Just went to a talk hosted at my university by University College Dublin about the MVB 4 year program. They were super nice, and the program really sounds great. They said that the first found of offers to "stellar" candidates would be beginning of November without an interview, then there is another round where they offer you a New York or San Fran interview if there is something on your application that raises any concern/question but he said 90% of those interviewed at that time usually get an offer. Those interviews would be in January.

Just super nice people, sounds like there is a lot of support provided to international students as well. UCD is definitely high on my list now!

Reactions: 3 users
Just went to a talk hosted at my university by University College Dublin about the MVB 4 year program. They were super nice, and the program really sounds great. They said that the first found of offers to "stellar" candidates would be beginning of November without an interview, then there is another round where they offer you a New York or San Fran interview if there is something on your application that raises any concern/question but he said 90% of those interviewed at that time usually get an offer. Those interviews would be in January.

Just super nice people, sounds like there is a lot of support provided to international students as well. UCD is definitely high on my list now!

Hi Mildredjrt

Thanks for posting this! UCD is my top choice but I have a lower cum gpa (3.26). Did they happen to mention the avg gpa for those invited to interview?

Thanks!

Hi Mildredjrt

Thanks for posting this! UCD is my top choice but I have a lower cum gpa (3.26). Did they happen to mention the avg gpa for those invited to interview?

Thanks!
They didn't mention it, but I am in the same boat as you with a cum gpa of 2.97 (first undergrad had some ups and downs), my last semester since returning to school was 3.4 though so I am just really really hoping that they see that. He said that the minimum GPA they consider is 2.8 but usually it has to be higher than that. So stressful. You will probably be just fine, I on the other hand, will be lucky if I am offered the 5 year lol

They didn't mention it, but I am in the same boat as you with a cum gpa of 2.97 (first undergrad had some ups and downs), my last semester since returning to school was 3.4 though so I am just really really hoping that they see that. He said that the minimum GPA they consider is 2.8 but usually it has to be higher than that. So stressful. You will probably be just fine, I on the other hand, will be lucky if I am offered the 5 year lol

Lets hope we both get it in! From what I've heard UCD does a really great job at looking at all your experiences too ...so hopefully it compensates for our gpas haha. The anticipation is killing me tho T_T

Lets hope we both get it in! From what I've heard UCD does a really great job at looking at all your experiences too ...so hopefully it compensates for our gpas haha. The anticipation is killing me tho T_T
I know the feeling! Everything is so unknown right now, I really hope somewhere wants me :unsure:

Mmm I think they interview more than 95 international students. Back when I started, the dean at the time said to my class on the first day that about 5-10 other people wanted our spot.

My class also had people from Botswana and Asia, so you have to factor in non-North Americans.

I think that quote means for the 72 UK/EU spots they interview 220.

Starting to get really discouraged.... was rejected from Glasgow. They said they had a record number of applications this year. Worried that since I didn't even get a chance to interview there, that my chances for any other UK school or Dublin are shot. My cum GPA is awful 2.97 (includes my undergrad where I lost all motivation and gave up on vet school) but my most recent semester since returning was 3.7 and the semester I am currently in won't be below a 3.9 if my grades continue as they are. However, the schools won't see this because my fall semester grades are not released until January. Since I am a returning grad, the more credits I take, the harder it is to make a positive dent in my cum GPA so it most likely won't budge much no matter what I do. So sad... I thought I maybe had a chance.

Has anyone heard from any other UK school besides Glasgow?