UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome! Thank you for letting me know. I applied late in the game to UCD and have been waiting for about two months now for a decision or an interview notification so I hope they get to me soon. Just trying to make a decision before the April 15th deadline.
Our deadline to accept UCD offers is April 17th (at least for the 4 year program). So maybe they wait for spots to open up after that. You could always call them, the admissions people are so nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Our deadline to accept UCD offers is April 17th (at least for the 4 year program). So maybe they wait for spots to open up after that. You could always call them, the admissions people are so nice.

Hmm okay. I wonder why they would make the deadline for applicants February 1st though. I hope I don't have to wait that long because I will have to turn my offer down for another school (not that I really want to go to that school though). Do you know if they have a phone number for students in the United States? I have been trying to find one but have had no luck. I have been communicating with them through email which has been quite difficult because of the time difference.

Hmm okay. I wonder why they would make the deadline for applicants February 1st though. I hope I don't have to wait that long because I will have to turn my offer down for another school (not that I really want to go to that school though). Do you know if they have a phone number for students in the United States? I have been trying to find one but have had no luck. I have been communicating with them through email which has been quite difficult because of the time difference.
I think it's just the one phone number. I bought Skype credit to call them. But the time difference can definitely make it hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I just saw this! I think I was in group 4 actually- I was literally the last person there it took so long haha
Did you make your decision between RVC and Edinburgh yet?

Yes, I chose Edinburgh. I liked the atmosphere of the Edinburgh interview a lot more and the city is fantastic. I'm not much of a big city type of person too. Also the class size is smaller and tuition is cheaper. What did you chose?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else picked Glasgow to attend? I haven't seen anyone else yet..

I just declined my seat at Glasgow and accepted my seat at RVC! Good luck to anyone who is waitlisted at Glasgow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else considering RVC concerned about doing 12 weeks of AHEMS in the 4 year program? It sounds like a lot to do in just one year without starting over this summer, which is difficult because I'm trying to save money and work until the end of August. I could maybe get a week or two of AHEMS in before September. Is anyone else in a similar position?

Is anyone else considering RVC concerned about doing 12 weeks of AHEMS in the 4 year program? It sounds like a lot to do in just one year without starting over this summer, which is difficult because I'm trying to save money and work until the end of August. I could maybe get a week or two of AHEMS in before September. Is anyone else in a similar position?

You're definitely not alone, I've been a bit tied up as well trying to calculate how I'm going to fit all those placements in one year. I'm certainly going to try and squeeze something in before this September too, but worst case scenario, looks like I might have to stay in the UK and work over Christmas break and Easter and at least part of the summer next year. Not ideal, but personally if that's what I gotta do then I'll do it. Plus, it's also kind of daunting to think about the paperwork and logging that's required for each placement... trying to leave room for that since I have no idea how long that would take, lol.

(My parents are not going to be happy about this, they keep saying that I NEED to come home for Christmas since I'll be so far away! What can you do though...)

Reactions: 1 user
You're definitely not alone, I've been a bit tied up as well trying to calculate how I'm going to fit all those placements in one year. I'm certainly going to try and squeeze something in before this September too, but worst case scenario, looks like I might have to stay in the UK and work over Christmas break and Easter and at least part of the summer next year. Not ideal, but personally if that's what I gotta do then I'll do it. Plus, it's also kind of daunting to think about the paperwork and logging that's required for each placement... trying to leave room for that since I have no idea how long that would take, lol.

(My parents are not going to be happy about this, they keep saying that I NEED to come home for Christmas since I'll be so far away! What can you do though...)

I guess it will only be the one year that's jam-packed and then the next three we will have more time. It just makes it harder to decide between RVC and a US school where that is a non-issue.

I did 2 weeks of AHEMS before starting in the fall, and had 2 weeks of equine counted from previous experiences (so I didn't have to repeat it). That left me with 8 weeks which I had no trouble completing. In fact I even had time to do a research project over the summer between first and second year, and take some vacations. I think I remember that our spring break G&T year was 7 weeks, which is long! If you plan ahead and are good at scheduling, it is not a problem. Just make sure you plan ahead so you can do placements at the times you want them. Some of the popular placements get booked up by the end of September/October (for example lambing in the spring).

Reactions: 2 users
I did 2 weeks of AHEMS before starting in the fall, and had 2 weeks of equine counted from previous experiences (so I didn't have to repeat it). That left me with 8 weeks which I had no trouble completing. In fact I even had time to do a research project over the summer between first and second year, and take some vacations. I think I remember that our spring break G&T year was 7 weeks, which is long! If you plan ahead and are good at scheduling, it is not a problem. Just make sure you plan ahead so you can do placements at the times you want them. Some of the popular placements get booked up by the end of September/October (for example lambing in the spring).

Thanks! I'm glad to hear it's not impossible. I'm definitely going to try and have my previous experience count! That would make it seem more manageable. Thanks for the advice I'll plan ahead for sure :)

It is absolutely a lot to do in one year. I did 4 weeks before the start of the semester, but I still had to work all four weeks of spring break and have an additional month to do this summer. Classmates of mine that didn't do any prior to the start of the first semester had to complete two weeks over Christmas to fit everything in. You are quite tight on time-especially taking into account the course load and how much other work/studying you have to complete for class.

That said, I'm in the program at Edinburgh-so maybe breaks are a little longer at RVC or some other factor that makes it easier to complete the EMS.

Yes, I chose Edinburgh. I liked the atmosphere of the Edinburgh interview a lot more and the city is fantastic. I'm not much of a big city type of person too. Also the class size is smaller and tuition is cheaper. What did you chose?
Oh wow that's awesome! Congrats on deciding. I chose RVC so I'll be heading there in the fall.
Good luck at Edinburgh!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who was shortlisted for the RVC scholarship heard back from them? They said they would email us today but I haven't received anything yet. Congrats if you have heard back and you got it!

Two questions for you all:

1) Does anyone know, does clinical EMS at the University of Edinburgh have guidelines for what must be accomplished in your 26 weeks (like you have to do 2 weeks cattle, 2 weeks horses, etc. for animal husbandry EMS) or is it all up to the students' interests to choose? Like for example, I'm interested in wildlife/conservation medicine and exotics, would I be able to get a bunch of experience with exotics/wildlife during my EMS at Edinburgh, or do I have to do so many weeks with specific species?

2) For current students and those who were accepted to both UK schools and US schools (especially their IS school), do you all agree with the (seemingly general) consensus to go wherever is the cheapest? I'm deciding between Edinburgh and Iowa State (my IS school), of which Iowa State is ~$60,000 over the four years cheaper...

Thanks!

1) Does anyone know, does clinical EMS at the University of Edinburgh have guidelines for what must be accomplished in your 26 weeks (like you have to do 2 weeks cattle, 2 weeks horses, etc. for animal husbandry EMS) or is it all up to the students' interests to choose? Like for example, I'm interested in wildlife/conservation medicine and exotics, would I be able to get a bunch of experience with exotics/wildlife during my EMS at Edinburgh, or do I have to do so many weeks with specific species?

2) For current students and those who were accepted to both UK schools and US schools (especially their IS school), do you all agree with the (seemingly general) consensus to go wherever is the cheapest? I'm deciding between Edinburgh and Iowa State (my IS school), of which Iowa State is ~$60,000 over the four years cheaper...

Thanks!

I'm assumming the EMS's are the same both animal handling and clinical are essentially the same it's just different people approving the placements. There were guidelines they sent out. There's a lot of flexability yet portions need to cover specific species and be performed in the UK.

Last edited:
Have you heard from them yet?

Have you heard from them yet?

Yes I have an interview with them April 19th which is after the deadline which I'm okay with because I am on a wait list for my in state school so it makes me feel better that I don't have to put a deposit down right away.

Thanks!
I've been accepted to RVC, and multiple US schools. My IS school (A&M) is definitely cheaper than RVC, however I've decided to go to RVC for a few reasons...
A&M is a great school, but arguably it is known for its large-animal medicine. I plan on going into shelter medicine, or at the very least, small-animal medicine. RVC receives most of Europe's small animal cases and is well known for its cutting edge research.
My other two reasons are more personal. Almost my entire family is moving to College Station (where A&M is located) and they are essentially forcing me to live with them. My relationship with my family is rocky at best, and adding this to the stress of vet school might end up being too much. My other reason is because of environment. I'm a minority and I've been told by other veterinarians and techs (all of which are minorities) to flat out stay away from College Station. Of course, it is entirely possible if I did attend A&M that it would be an amazing experience but I really trust the people I've spoken to, and combined with my other couple of reasons, I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ to go to RVC.

Obviously it is up to you. If you think you will be happy at Iowa State and you think your education will reflect how you want to specialize, then by all means, go for it! (Especially if it is significantly cheaper.) But personally, I don't think money should be the end-all-be-all of decisions (as controversial as that is), particularly if you have extenuating circumstances.

Yes I have an interview with them April 19th which is after the deadline which I'm okay with because I am on a wait list for my in state school so it makes me feel better that I don't have to put a deposit down right away.
Nice, congrats! The interview is super chill and the interviewers are soo nice (assuming it's the same people I had). And they tell you like a week after whether you're in, so you'll know soon!

Nice, congrats! The interview is super chill and the interviewers are soo nice (assuming it's the same people I had). And they tell you like a week after whether you're in, so you'll know soon!

Thank you!! What kind of questions did they ask you if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to prepare. Are you going to UCD starting in the fall?

Thanks!

I would go to your in state school if you have the choice. I loved the UK and wouldn't change that for anything, unless I had an even cheaper option.

As for EMS---it's the same at all UK schools since it's a RCVS req.
They recommend you get varied clinical EMS---which you should if you want to go into exotics since most people have to do multiple internships after, but they won't reject your placements usually. The majority of mine were equine externships with a few small animal weeks.

Extra-mural studies (EMS)

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to run this by you...i emailed to accept my offer at RVC last week but I just wanted to make sure...the deposit is due by May 31st right?? I can't find my email anywhere! Really hoping it's not due today. I tried calling the office but couldnt get through.

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to run this by you...i emailed to accept my offer at RVC last week but I just wanted to make sure...the deposit is due by May 31st right?? I can't find my email anywhere! Really hoping it's not due today. I tried calling the office but couldnt get through.

It's a Bank Holiday today in the UK, so no one would have been in the office.

Hey everyone!

I came into this very late in the game; I was able to complete my UCD Graduate Entry application at the end of March (after a lot of internal debating between their program and my province's only veterinary program). Following a lovely Skype interview last week with UCD, I was just officially offered a place today! A conditional offer... as I did not take Microbiology in university either. The link to that UNB course you posted a while back, @mildredjrt is a life saver! Bronwyn confirmed it is acceptable, so long as I can have it completed before the middle of August.

Did you end up accepting the offer and enrolling in the online course? It would be awesome to have a fellow Ontarion in my class!

Has anyone else on here accepted their offer to UCD, or considering it? @oreo11 ?

Was offered a place at UCD, but ultimately declined due to receiving a spot at my in state school. Sad to decline it as it seems like a great school! Good luck to everyone at UCD, and respective vet schools!

I would go to your in state school if you have the choice. I loved the UK and wouldn't change that for anything, unless I had an even cheaper option.

As for EMS---it's the same at all UK schools since it's a RCVS req.
They recommend you get varied clinical EMS---which you should if you want to go into exotics since most people have to do multiple internships after, but they won't reject your placements usually. The majority of mine were equine externships with a few small animal weeks.

Extra-mural studies (EMS)

Did you think EMS was helpful? Or did you find it tedious and stressful to fit in on breaks? I was fully planning on RVC, but I was just accepted off the waitlist to ISU. Problem is: with the current exchange rate the COA is the same so I can't decide. :shrug:

I'm wondering if you felt you had extra expenses due to EMS that were hard to manage. I used the RVC cost caculator and I think they are pretty generous with extra travel costs and such, but I have also never spent time in the UK. For you, was AHEMS useful or would you have rather worked and saved money? I have a summer job I could go back to if I went to ISU. I'm hesitating because I could save some loan money there, but I bet vet school in the UK is amazing and possibly worth the stressful breaks. Any insight would be so appreciated!

Did anyone here decide to go with RVC's 5-year program? I know it's unpopular because of the extra price (I get EU tuition so I decided I wanted to take my time with the academic part) but I'm hoping I'll still have some internationals to roll with during the first 2 years.
Also, anyone know how they decide who gets to go to the college grove dorms? It would be heaven on Earth after traveling so much to and from school for the past 4 years haha.

Why on earth would Canadians want go for study in the UK?

Did anyone here decide to go with RVC's 5-year program? I know it's unpopular because of the extra price (I get EU tuition so I decided I wanted to take my time with the academic part) but I'm hoping I'll still have some internationals to roll with during the first 2 years.
Also, anyone know how they decide who gets to go to the college grove dorms? It would be heaven on Earth after traveling so much to and from school for the past 4 years haha.

I've heard that a lot of international students are placed in College Grove. I know housing is allocated based on how far you are from school, so the further you are from school, the closer you get to be (or the higher likelihood you get your 1st preference, perhaps if you requested Mary B as your first choice).

Oh, and I'm an international student on the 4 year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I chose the 5 year program :) so you'll have me!

For Edinburgh - what courses count as "zoology"? Can you classify animal science courses?

For Edinburgh - what courses count as "zoology"? Can you classify animal science courses?

That is a question that you really need to email the school directly about. Tell them the name and department of a specific course and ask them if it will meet their requirement. It would be good if you have a syllabus you can send them if requested.

It really is best to get an answer directly from them and in writing so that you can refer back to it if there are any disputes about it once you actually apply. It's not worth taking anecdotal advice off of strangers on the internet for something like this.

Anyone hear anything from RVC recently? Last thing I heard was about housing. I'm waiting to hear if they approved one of my AHEMS placements that i'm going on next week. Not gonna lie but I kinda feel needy like we had a good thing going together and all of a sudden they suddenly stopped texting. I mean like did they find a new student to take my place?! Am I better looking?! So many questions!! Haha.

Anyone hear anything from RVC recently? Last thing I heard was about housing. I'm waiting to hear if they approved one of my AHEMS placements that i'm going on next week. Not gonna lie but I kinda feel needy like we had a good thing going together and all of a sudden they suddenly stopped texting. I mean like did they find a new student to take my place?! Am I better looking?! So many questions!! Haha.

Email them again about the AHEMS placement. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it meets the requirement for number of animals it should be fine. I think they only care about you getting pigs, dairy, and lambing done in the UK, so anything else should be fine. If it is one of those, they may want you to do another placement in it in the UK, but you should be able to count the one you did outside the UK as part of your 4 weeks of any species.

Hate to say it, but you should get used to having to deal with crappy admin service from RVC. Just be persistent, polite, and advocate for yourself.

Email them again about the AHEMS placement. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it meets the requirement for number of animals it should be fine. I think they only care about you getting pigs, dairy, and lambing done in the UK, so anything else should be fine. If it is one of those, they may want you to do another placement in it in the UK, but you should be able to count the one you did outside the UK as part of your 4 weeks of any species.

Hate to say it, but you should get used to having to deal with crappy admin service from RVC. Just be persistent, polite, and advocate for yourself.

Thanks. Was able to get confirmation. I won't feel bad about being persistent then!

I just received an email from RVC about loans and my cas # so I could apply for the visa. I'm still waiting on the details about housing.

Would anybody accepted into RVC be will to PM with me about some Qs I have regarding their supplemental application?

Does anyone know if there is a supplemental application fee for RVC and if so where to pay it? I can't find any information about one online. I'm also super confused about the online Applicant Work Experience Form online which isn't mentioned anywhere on VMCAS.

pls halp :eek:

Does anyone know if there is a supplemental application fee for RVC and if so where to pay it? I can't find any information about one online. I'm also super confused about the online Applicant Work Experience Form online which isn't mentioned anywhere on VMCAS.

pls halp :eek:
Hi - there wasn't a separate fee.
You should see the RVC supplement form on their site and upload to VMCAS
Pm me if you need more help

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone applied to Massey last year and got accepted to either group 1 or 2? Anyone remembered when did you get your results or interview invites? I applied for fall 2018 but haven’t heard anything from them except a message said “your application is now under consideration” going way back to November. Their email said that all final notices will be sent out today but I got nothing. So anxious right now:nailbiting:

Hey everyone! Would any current RVC students mind sharing their experience? I looked in the pros / cons thread but there isn’t much info about RVC in there. I received my offer a few days ago and I’m really torn between it and staying in the US. Any input about pros / cons of the program would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone! Would any current RVC students mind sharing their experience? I looked in the pros / cons thread but there isn’t much info about RVC in there. I received my offer a few days ago and I’m really torn between it and staying in the US. Any input about pros / cons of the program would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a first year in the 4 year program. I will make a proper list soon, but I have been here 4 months and I still go back and forth about if I made the right decision. There are really annoying things the UK schools do, but there are also some upsides too. Living in London is a cool experience in itself, and traveling is a major plus. I was really unhappy here for the first two months, but it has grown on me a little. I am still considering trying to transfer back to the states, but that is also because of some stuff at home I want to help with. Overall I am happy here, but if I could do it again I would have picked a US school.

Thank you - what kind of annoying things? And if you don’t mind me asking what made you unhappy for the most part? Was it the difficulty adjusting to a new country or specifics about the program / life there in general? I’ve visited the U.K. many times and have family there so I’m used to the culture but I think studying there will be very different. I’m trying to not let the excitement of potentially living in London blind me from making the best choice for myself.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Similar to RedLauren, I would like to if any Glasgow students have insights they would be willing to share. Thanks so much!

I'm a current 4th year at RVC (3rd year of the 4 year program). I would honestly go wherever is cheapest for you, which is likely staying in the US. I was able to get home student fees, so RVC was my cheapest option. I was already living in London prior to starting, so I didn't have to move or adjust to a new culture. This is, however, my first time studying in the UK. It is very different from what I was used to in America, and from what I can tell by reading this forum, very different from vet school in the US. If you don't want the stress of constantly having exams testing you on the details of everything you learn, you'll love RVC. That is until it's time for revising for our incredibly high stakes exams. You're basically only tested once a year (in the 1st year of the 4 year course, we did have a multiple choice exam at the end of each of the first two terms, but each were only worth 5% of the final grade for the year). It is extremely stressful trying to revise everything you've learnt all year. In most years of the course, a portion of your exams are written essays, so you're really expected to be able to know your stuff pretty well. I found fourth year exams to be particularly stressful as the clinical cases we were given could cover anything they'd taught us since the beginning of fourth year. We had a case on our exam this year in the beginning of December that covered material we had learned in November the year before. Having to dig enough of that information out of your head on the spot to write coherently about it is quite a challenge, especially when you spent most of your revision time studying things from the previous two terms and not things from 4 terms ago.

I realize that all sounds scary, but you only need 50% overall to pass these exams. 70% and above is a distinction - meaning you did a fabulous job. It's a completely different system to adjust to. And if you do fail your exams, you're automatically given the chance to resit them a few months later. In our class of about 260 (massive class - the 4 year program and 5 year program students combine for years 3-5), only 8 students failed the 4th year exams and have to resit them. So it is definitely doable, but I find the revision period before each exam to be almost unbearable. It's so much pressure. But, the flip side is that most of the time school is pretty relaxed. You don't have to feel bad about not studying on the weekends or going out in the evenings. You have the freedom to make your own schedule and study however and whenever you prefer.

Another big difference is that we don't have distinct courses with a professor in charge of it that you see regularly. The course is split up into modules (Immunology, Locomotor, Animal husbandry, Endocrine...) and you get a bunch of lectures on the topic for a few weeks given by whichever instructor gives that particular lecture. So you might have a lecture by one professor and then never see them again. Or you might see them for a handful of lectures. Or they might keep appearing for more. There's no real continuity. It works out in the end, but you don't really get used to a particular teaching style.

One thing I really like is the tutorials. This is where you have a small group of students (there were 6 of us during the 1st year, but only 3 of us during 3rd-5th year) and you're assigned a faculty member. You meet with them regularly (about twice a term) and discuss anything you want. During the first year there was often an assignment, but years 3-5 are really about you meeting with your tutor and getting their guidance on the course and your career. I find it really helpful and my tutor is more than happy to set up meetings with me to talk about whatever I want help with. He also happens to be quite well connected and I find it to be a great networking opportunity.

We also get loads of time during our rotation year to do externships. We have to have 26 weeks of clinical externships (EMS - extra mural studies) before we graduate. 10-12 weeks need to be done between 3rd year and the start of rotations and the remainder are spread throughout the rotation year. It's a great opportunity to visit whatever kind of practice you want and really tailor your education to your own needs/wants. You can also do some of these abroad including in the US, so it gives you a chance to go home if you want.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the education I'm getting. I really hate being tested on so much information at once. I need the pressure of an exam in a few days/weeks to make me really learn the information and commit it to memory as I go along. Knowing you won't be tested on the information you're being taught for months... it's really easy to just follow along and not really learn it deeply or try to memorize things as you go along, because you don't have to. There's no pressure. Until there's the terrifying and stressful pressure just before exams. But you only need 50% to pass, and most people pass fine. And you can resit if you mess up. It really is ok in the end, but you should be aware of it before you make your decision.

Sorry if this jumped around a bit too much. There are lots of things to talk about. There are good things about the school and system, and bad things as well. But it'll get you where you need to be in the end. Good luck with your decision!

I'm a current 4th year at RVC (3rd year of the 4 year program). I would honestly go wherever is cheapest for you, which is likely staying in the US. I was able to get home student fees, so RVC was my cheapest option. I was already living in London prior to starting, so I didn't have to move or adjust to a new culture. This is, however, my first time studying in the UK. It is very different from what I was used to in America, and from what I can tell by reading this forum, very different from vet school in the US. If you don't want the stress of constantly having exams testing you on the details of everything you learn, you'll love RVC. That is until it's time for revising for our incredibly high stakes exams. You're basically only tested once a year (in the 1st year of the 4 year course, we did have a multiple choice exam at the end of each of the first two terms, but each were only worth 5% of the final grade for the year). It is extremely stressful trying to revise everything you've learnt all year. In most years of the course, a portion of your exams are written essays, so you're really expected to be able to know your stuff pretty well. I found fourth year exams to be particularly stressful as the clinical cases we were given could cover anything they'd taught us since the beginning of fourth year. We had a case on our exam this year in the beginning of December that covered material we had learned in November the year before. Having to dig enough of that information out of your head on the spot to write coherently about it is quite a challenge, especially when you spent most of your revision time studying things from the previous two terms and not things from 4 terms ago.

I realize that all sounds scary, but you only need 50% overall to pass these exams. 70% and above is a distinction - meaning you did a fabulous job. It's a completely different system to adjust to. And if you do fail your exams, you're automatically given the chance to resit them a few months later. In our class of about 260 (massive class - the 4 year program and 5 year program students combine for years 3-5), only 8 students failed the 4th year exams and have to resit them. So it is definitely doable, but I find the revision period before each exam to be almost unbearable. It's so much pressure. But, the flip side is that most of the time school is pretty relaxed. You don't have to feel bad about not studying on the weekends or going out in the evenings. You have the freedom to make your own schedule and study however and whenever you prefer.

Another big difference is that we don't have distinct courses with a professor in charge of it that you see regularly. The course is split up into modules (Immunology, Locomotor, Animal husbandry, Endocrine...) and you get a bunch of lectures on the topic for a few weeks given by whichever instructor gives that particular lecture. So you might have a lecture by one professor and then never see them again. Or you might see them for a handful of lectures. Or they might keep appearing for more. There's no real continuity. It works out in the end, but you don't really get used to a particular teaching style.

One thing I really like is the tutorials. This is where you have a small group of students (there were 6 of us during the 1st year, but only 3 of us during 3rd-5th year) and you're assigned a faculty member. You meet with them regularly (about twice a term) and discuss anything you want. During the first year there was often an assignment, but years 3-5 are really about you meeting with your tutor and getting their guidance on the course and your career. I find it really helpful and my tutor is more than happy to set up meetings with me to talk about whatever I want help with. He also happens to be quite well connected and I find it to be a great networking opportunity.

We also get loads of time during our rotation year to do externships. We have to have 26 weeks of clinical externships (EMS - extra mural studies) before we graduate. 10-12 weeks need to be done between 3rd year and the start of rotations and the remainder are spread throughout the rotation year. It's a great opportunity to visit whatever kind of practice you want and really tailor your education to your own needs/wants. You can also do some of these abroad including in the US, so it gives you a chance to go home if you want.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the education I'm getting. I really hate being tested on so much information at once. I need the pressure of an exam in a few days/weeks to make me really learn the information and commit it to memory as I go along. Knowing you won't be tested on the information you're being taught for months... it's really easy to just follow along and not really learn it deeply or try to memorize things as you go along, because you don't have to. There's no pressure. Until there's the terrifying and stressful pressure just before exams. But you only need 50% to pass, and most people pass fine. And you can resit if you mess up. It really is ok in the end, but you should be aware of it before you make your decision.

Sorry if this jumped around a bit too much. There are lots of things to talk about. There are good things about the school and system, and bad things as well. But it'll get you where you need to be in the end. Good luck with your decision!
This was incredibly helpful, thank you! My biggest concern is landing an internship/residency after vet school. Is it more challenging to get one as an RVC student? Is their grading scheme different - do they use letter grades and GPA like in the states and if they don’t how are you judged for such residencies?

This was incredibly helpful, thank you! My biggest concern is landing an internship/residency after vet school. Is it more challenging to get one as an RVC student? Is their grading scheme different - do they use letter grades and GPA like in the states and if they don’t how are you judged for such residencies?

People do manage to match to internships in the US. I met a final year student last year who matched to Illinois. The medical director in our hospital is American and did his schooling and specialty training in the US. He said we have to put an explanation letter with our applications (I'm unsure right now if it's something we have to write or if it's something RVC provides) to explain our grading system. Of course our grades look like crap to American eyes, but I think the explanation letter helps. RVC also has a pretty good reputation, even in the USA, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. It's not really something I can control, so I'm not worrying about it. I just do as well as I can and hopefully I'll get some good LORs to back it up.

One thing that sucks about going straight from RVC to an internship in the US is that our school year runs a lot longer than US schools. We have finals in 5th year in early June and results are usually posted mid-June. The graduation ceremony is usually the 1st week of July. Most internships in the US seem to start around mid-June, so you'll likely have to skip the graduation ceremony. It's a bit sad, but there's nothing you can do to change that either.

Thank you - what kind of annoying things? And if you don’t mind me asking what made you unhappy for the most part? Was it the difficulty adjusting to a new country or specifics about the program / life there in general? I’ve visited the U.K. many times and have family there so I’m used to the culture but I think studying there will be very different. I’m trying to not let the excitement of potentially living in London blind me from making the best choice for myself.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Sorry about the delay in a reply, we are in the middle of a obnoxious neuro module and I haven't had much free time at all! I think Staffie said a lot of things I think after being here 5 months. I have a couple of things I can add about first year stuff.

Firstly, I totally agree with the money issue. If you have an instate, go there. I did not and the other schools I was accepted to were equal or more in cost even with international fees. I have a flatmate who picked RVC over her IS and said if she could go back she would pick her IS. If you are like me and RVC is equal/less expensive than your other options then I would consider it (keep in mind you will need to fund your visa and NHS surcharge before you get your financial aid).

I think the atmosphere in the beginning is shocking coming from an American university. The UK students are 18 years old and the amount of partying the school puts on for the freshers is insane to me coming from the US. It made me feel a little like I was going backwards while all my friends in the US were learning and moving forward, RVC is a 7-day, non-stop party. It has calmed down a lot, but the first few months here... think back to freshman year at college if the school supplied alcohol and the drinking age was 18.

A lot of my annoyance in the beginning came from the total lack of organization in the first few weeks. For such a well-respected and old program they are really bad at communication. I am not sure if it is just this year, or if this is an ongoing issue, but our entire class had to pry information out of RVC in the first few weeks. They really like to focus on the 'now' and the rest 'they will tell you as you need it' which is extremely frustrating. I have a feeling that is mostly an issue this year because they have had a large turnover of staff this year, but it is so difficult when you are trying to find information and you can't.

Once you get into the swing of things in mid-October, it starts to come together. Keep in mind that they assume you will do a LOT of out of class learning. For example, there is no anatomy class, it is all from the dissection manual, textbooks, and dissections. The first few dissections everyone was completely lost. They are working on getting some videos for next years class though. The nice thing is that they really seem to listen to students and change things accordingly.

Since there are no regular classes like Staffie said, you can have weeks with 5-6 lectures/labs every day, then a week with 3 days of 1 lecture. It is a bit hot and cold, but it is just the way the UK does lectures so you get used to it. But since you don't always have the same schedule, it is possible to do fun things on the weekends or take an extended weekend to travel. All lectures are recorded, so you can miss some and still be able to catch up. It is also great for when you miss a concept in lecture. I heard not all schools have recorded lectures so its a nice luxury.

I haven't had a end-of-year exam yet, but I am already dreading them. I have 2 weeks in our 6 week Easter break devoted only to studying (after 4 weeks of AHEMS placements). It really is a lot of self-motivated studying all the time. I can't say I'm doing it right, but you really have to push yourself and make your own study schedule because even 1 term's information is too much to re-learn before the exam if you forgot it all, never mind a whole year.

I may have just thrown a bunch of things I don't like on you, but it all is something you adjust to. I like not having an exam over my head all the time. I think I remember more by making my own schedule. I also love being in London, there is just so much to see and do. And I also like how, in the 4 year program, there is only 1 pre-clinical year. Second year when I start EMS in the spring, I will be able to work in a clinic and even do some surgery. First year just really stinks because it is two years in one, but I think hope @Staffie can confirm, it gets better after 1st year.

As for internships, when I was weighing my options for schools, I asked an internist (who also hires interns at her hospital) what school she would pick and she said RVC. I have seen many interns from UK schools in my time as a tech (you aren't a DVM so it's easy to spot) so I don't think it will be a major issue. I know I felt better when someone who actually picks interns said RVC was good, especially since everyone outside of vet med asked me if I was going to the UK because I couldn't get into a US school.