UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from any other UK school besides Glasgow?

I haven't heard anything, RVC told me later this week they were going to start sending out interview invites for US interview locations

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear from RVC yet?
I haven't heard anything yet... Although it is getting close to the four week mark since they sent the original email about interview dates and such, so it should be soon! Did someone from RVC tell you separately that the interview invites were going to be sent out this week? If that is the case, I wonder if we will hear something tomorrow then...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything yet... Although it is getting close to the four week mark since they sent the original email about interview dates and such, so it should be soon! Did someone from RVC tell you separately that the interview invites were going to be sent out this week? If that is the case, I wonder if we will hear something tomorrow then...

Yeah I emailed them and specifically asked when we should expect to start hearing. They told me they would begin emailing later this week, so that doesn't necessarily mean everyone will hear before the weekend I guess. The waiting game is painful. I am not expecting to get an interview offer, my GPA is way too low, but we shall see!

Starting to get really discouraged.... was rejected from Glasgow. They said they had a record number of applications this year. Worried that since I didn't even get a chance to interview there, that my chances for any other UK school or Dublin are shot. My cum GPA is awful 2.97 (includes my undergrad where I lost all motivation and gave up on vet school) but my most recent semester since returning was 3.7 and the semester I am currently in won't be below a 3.9 if my grades continue as they are. However, the schools won't see this because my fall semester grades are not released until January. Since I am a returning grad, the more credits I take, the harder it is to make a positive dent in my cum GPA so it most likely won't budge much no matter what I do. So sad... I thought I maybe had a chance.
Keep the faith!
Don't give up!
I certainly hope it works out in your favour this time, but if not, stay confident and maintain that quite stellar 3.7-3.9 GPA, and apply again. :)

Yeah, don't give up hope, and try to fill up your resume with tons of work. My GPA isn't great but I have 16,000 hours of working in wildlife medicine, research, small animals and exotics, and I have great rec letters from the vets and researchers I've worked with. My experience is the only thing that is really keeping my application afloat since my GPA is mediocre at best.

Yeah, don't give up hope, and try to fill up your resume with tons of work. My GPA isn't great but I have 16,000 hours of working in wildlife medicine, research, small animals and exotics, and I have great rec letters from the vets and researchers I've worked with. My experience is the only thing that is really keeping my application afloat since my GPA is mediocre at best.

Thanks ricochet and ILDSU! I am trying to stay optimistic, but it just seems like schools won't even look at the experience hours and references if your GPA is low, that is why I am getting discouraged. Glasgow told me that I was not considered because of my low GPA. Apparently my thousands of hours, great references (my references showed me their letters) and amazing personal statement (according to the 10 people that read it) was not enough.

And am I wrong in thinking that Glasgow was one of the easier ones to get into in the UK since they only offer a 5 year? That was my impression, but I may be completely off!!

I don't think Glasgow is easy to get into. I mean, all vet schools are difficult. You might have a chance with Dublin since they seem to focus more on experience than GPA. You can't get down on yourself. Vet school is competitive and harder to get into than med school since there are less vet schools. If you don't get in this round, there is always next year which comes around a lot faster than you think.

You can also look at doing a 1-year masters if you want. I know Glasgow offers some relating to animal ethics and veterinary, and it's also online. You should check those out.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/

I don't think Glasgow is easy to get into. I mean, all vet schools are difficult. You might have a chance with Dublin since they seem to focus more on experience than GPA. You can't get down on yourself. Vet school is competitive and harder to get into than med school since there are less vet schools. If you don't get in this round, there is always next year which comes around a lot faster than you think.

You can also look at doing a 1-year masters if you want. I know Glasgow offers some relating to animal ethics and veterinary, and it's also online. You should check those out.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/

Sorry I guess I worded that wrong, I definitely didn't mean it was "easy" by any means, just more apt to look at the big picture instead of just GPA I guess is what I meant :) If I have learned one thing it is that this is a dream you can want so bad it hurts, and work your butt off, and still get rejected. Accepting that I will maybe have to apply again is something I am warming up to, time certainly does go by faster than we think it will...except when we are waiting to hear from schools! haha

I will check out that link, thanks!!

Starting to get really discouraged.... was rejected from Glasgow. They said they had a record number of applications this year. Worried that since I didn't even get a chance to interview there, that my chances for any other UK school or Dublin are shot. My cum GPA is awful 2.97 (includes my undergrad where I lost all motivation and gave up on vet school) but my most recent semester since returning was 3.7 and the semester I am currently in won't be below a 3.9 if my grades continue as they are. However, the schools won't see this because my fall semester grades are not released until January. Since I am a returning grad, the more credits I take, the harder it is to make a positive dent in my cum GPA so it most likely won't budge much no matter what I do. So sad... I thought I maybe had a chance.
I wouldn't lose hope yet! I just received an email from UCD so we have plenty on time before we should start worrying. It said, "We hope to complete the initial evaluation of applicants by November 4th and will be in further contact with you after that date. Please note that some applicants may be called for interview after this evaluation and interviews will take place in New York (and possibly San Francisco) on the week beginning January 23rd 2017." I think you may have a good shot at an interview with them and if you do well this semester I sure you'll have enough time to send them your current grades. I'm hoping it goes well for you!

I wouldn't lose hope yet! I just received an email from UCD so we have plenty on time before we should start worrying. It said, "We hope to complete the initial evaluation of applicants by November 4th and will be in further contact with you after that date. Please note that some applicants may be called for interview after this evaluation and interviews will take place in New York (and possibly San Francisco) on the week beginning January 23rd 2017." I think you may have a good shot at an interview with them and if you do well this semester I sure you'll have enough time to send them your current grades. I'm hoping it goes well for you!

I got that email as well! I am really hoping UCD offers me an interview, as this would enable me to bring my final transcripts with me. UCD has also been incredible at answering questions, so nice and friendly. Here's hoping we both hear from UCD! Is it one of your top choices?

I got that email as well! I am really hoping UCD offers me an interview, as this would enable me to bring my final transcripts with me. UCD has also been incredible at answering questions, so nice and friendly. Here's hoping we both hear from UCD! Is it one of your top choices?
Yea its actually my top choice out of all the schools I applied to (International and US). I spent a semester there in 2015 and I fell in love with everything about it. The professors and students were so welcoming and the campus just felt comfortable. I'm also strongly considering St. George's in the Caribbean because of the amount of hands on experience you get there. I had my interview with SGU 2 weeks ago so hopefully I know in a couple of weeks if I actually got in! How about you?

Yea its actually my top choice out of all the schools I applied to (International and US). I spent a semester there in 2015 and I fell in love with everything about it. The professors and students were so welcoming and the campus just felt comfortable. I'm also strongly considering St. George's in the Caribbean because of the amount of hands on experience you get there. I had my interview with SGU 2 weeks ago so hopefully I know in a couple of weeks if I actually got in! How about you?

Thats great to hear! UCD went to the top of my list for international schools when they came to my university a few weeks ago to do a presentation. The city sounds amazing, and the layout of the program all sound SO appealing! :) I am in Ontario so my top choice is really OVC, but it is very hard to get in, the average for last two semesters of undergrad was a 3.9 last year...at least they don't look at cumGPA.

I also applied to Ross but I am not sure how I feel about it yet, mostly because of the cost. As for UK schools I applied to RVC and Edinburgh, but I don't see myself getting an interview there as my GPA just isn't competitive enough.

So yeah, fingers crossed for Dublin!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be ok, Mildredjrt.

Dublin is AVMA accredited but not RCVS accredited? I do want to be be able to practice in both America and the UK, so that might be a con for Dublin. Glasgow is my top, and I'm nervous for the interview.

Thanks ricochet and ILDSU! I am trying to stay optimistic, but it just seems like schools won't even look at the experience hours and references if your GPA is low, that is why I am getting discouraged. Glasgow told me that I was not considered because of my low GPA. Apparently my thousands of hours, great references (my references showed me their letters) and amazing personal statement (according to the 10 people that read it) was not enough.

And am I wrong in thinking that Glasgow was one of the easier ones to get into in the UK since they only offer a 5 year? That was my impression, but I may be completely off!!
Interviewed and was waitlisted at Glasgow last year.

I don't think that it's any easier to get into than the other UK vet schools; probably about the same. Vet school is pretty competitive everywhere... that being said, I'm a bit shocked that you were outright rejected for a low GPA. I know that the UK schools have the "unwritten" minimum of 3.4, but I got along pretty far with a 3.2, and I know of at least a couple people who were interviewed with lower than that, for what it's worth. :shrug: Is your GPA sub-3.0?

Just keep on trucking and don't lose hope yet! We are still very early into the cycle! :)

Interviewed and was waitlisted at Glasgow last year.

I don't think that it's any easier to get into than the other UK vet schools; probably about the same. Vet school is pretty competitive everywhere... that being said, I'm a bit shocked that you were outright rejected for a low GPA. I know that the UK schools have the "unwritten" minimum of 3.4, but I got along pretty far with a 3.2, and I know of at least a couple people who were interviewed with lower than that, for what it's worth. :shrug: Is your GPA sub-3.0?

Just keep on trucking and don't lose hope yet! We are still very early into the cycle! :)

Thanks! Appreciate the support, I do have to remind myself it is still so early haha :p Did you happen to also apply to UCD in your application year?

I spoke with admissions at Glasgow and they said they had a record number of applications this year, so I guess they could only interview so many people... Oh well, wasn't meant to be. I am a non-traditional student, in my original undergrad my GPA was bad, like 2.8. I did not apply myself, and felt too stupid to pursue vet med. I returned to university a year later after working at some clinics where I realized I couldn't see myself doing anything else. I needed to boost my GPA and gain some missing pre-requisites and voila my most recent semester was a 3.7. Which in the end only boosted my GPA to a 2.97...wooo. I am also still in school for the fall semester finishing up credits and have yet to let my GPA fall under 4.0, but most schools won't see these grades unless I get an interview in which case I can bring the transcripts...so frustrating! I just hope the other UK/Irish schools take into consideration my drastic upward trend in grades since returning to school. Kicking myself for not being more driven and goal oriented in my undergrad.... :(

I don't think you should keep kicking yourself for what's in the past. Try to focus on what you can do in the future to improve your application. If I don't get in, I already have 4 grad programs I've also applied for. If your undergrad GPA suffered, you can make up for it in grad school, and once you have a master's degree vet school won't care about your undergrad. Vet schools will always be around, even if you have to take a one year or two year detour....you'll make it there eventually.

SandstormDVM, did Glasgow say why they waitlisted you?

I don't think you should keep kicking yourself for what's in the past. Try to focus on what you can do in the future to improve your application. If I don't get in, I already have 4 grad programs I've also applied for. If your undergrad GPA suffered, you can make up for it in grad school, and once you have a master's degree vet school won't care about your undergrad. Vet schools will always be around, even if you have to take a one year or two year detour....you'll make it there eventually.

SandstormDVM, did Glasgow say why they waitlisted you?

I keep thinking about grad school, but to be quite honest I don't have a particular area of interest that I would want to research. Is this something to think about, or do you figure that out once you start the program? I would be okay with doing a year long masters, but I would want to be very passionate about the research I was going to pursue.

There are plenty of grad programs that might be interesting for a pre-vet. I'm not sure which university you attend, but I would spend time looking at what kind of master programs they offer. The ones I want deal with avian studies and they work with the vet school at UC Davis. You would need to look up a professor and see what their research is. Right now I work at a weakly electric fish research lab and we look at signaling behavior as well as parasitology and toxicology.

Also, it would be good for schools to see that you are invested in research and science and you don't only care about becoming another small animal vet upon graduating vet school. Not that there is anything wrong with being a small animal vet, but research is what brings prestige and money to a university.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh, well thats not a great sign for any of us that have not heard yet.... :(

I wouldn't worry just yet! I submitted my applications really early in the summer [like in July], so maybe they are just sending out responses in order of when they finish looking through applications.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't worry just yet! I submitted my applications really early in the summer [like in July], so maybe they are just sending out responses in order of when they finish looking through applications.
Thats true, heres hoping!

Anyone else hear yet from RVC? Maybe tomorrow we will based on last years timing, but it also seems like last year people got them all over a course of 2 days.

Just got my email for RVC interview in Dallas :) :) :)

Ah okay. I'm in CA, so hoping they send those out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ah okay. I'm in CA, so hoping they send those out soon!

I live in California too!

And I reaaallllyyyyyy hope we wake up to e-mails tomorrow! This week has been hell just waiting for RVC haha

Well, I guess RVC doesn't want me either... :(

Nooooooo, you haven't even heard back from them yet! Sending you cheerful thoughts* :)

*that have nothing to do with VMCAS nor any other vet apps that weren't submitted through VMCAS nor anything veterinary related for that matter.. Hm maybe thoughts of cute cacti and Butterbeer

Nooooooo, you haven't even heard back from them yet! Sending you cheerful thoughts* :)

*that have nothing to do with VMCAS nor any other vet apps that weren't submitted through VMCAS nor anything veterinary related for that matter.. Hm maybe thoughts of cute cacti and Butterbeer

You are the best, just picturing butterbeer and cute cacti made me smile! But still, I won't be surprised if I don't hear, I didn't think my stats would be good enough for RVC, I applied as a long shot. Oh well, I still have three more options whom I haven't heard from yet (Dublin, Edinburgh, Ross).

Best of luck to you all!

AHHHHH RVC INTERVIEW FOR 11/19

Thank yous! Hoping you guys hear back soon

I wish Edinburgh and Dublin would email us already too. And that the Glasgow interviews were sooner so we could get it over with lol. I can only go over interview questions so many times in the shower before I start losing my mind....

I wish Edinburgh and Dublin would email us already too. And that the Glasgow interviews were sooner so we could get it over with lol. I can only go over interview questions so many times in the shower before I start losing my mind....
LOL thank god I am not the only one that does that in the shower !! However I still have yet to receive an interview invite so all of my shower brainstorming could be for nothing.

LOL thank god I am not the only one that does that in the shower !! However I still have yet to receive an interview invite so all of my shower brainstorming could be for nothing.

It's never for nothing. Does Ross do interviews or do they just offer spots?