UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I have both of my letters for "confirming 10 days of vet and animal experience" for my RVC interview. I wrote them and sent them to both of the vets I worked with and whom wrote my reference letters, and they were more than happy to print them on the letterhead and sign them.

This is what RVC said about me using two vets as my confirmation letters: "The reference letters can be from the same people who have written VMCAS letters. You can bring both veterinarian references so we can decide if we would be able to count one of the placements towards the other animal requirement. If not, this will not affect the outcome of your interview but we may ask for more other animal experience in any offer we make you."

Sort of frustrating given I have over 17 years experience working with horses, but I put that on old 2 years ago to pursue vet school/stop being horse poor. So I cannot get a letter from an old coach etc...

I also cannot get a letter from the wildlife rehab place I volunteered at two summers ago because I am away at university and will not be able to drive the 3 hours to pick up an original copy of the signed letter, nor will the extremely busy and overrun rehab centre be able to find the time to write and personally mail the letter to me before I leave november 11th, I wish RVC could have told us to have these ready in the event that we did receive an interview, I would have been so much more prepared....

But maybe it isn't actually all the important and I am stressing about this for no reason!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview for RVC on Nov. 16th in Dallas. I think they forgot to email me before, because I had to contact them.

Reactions: 1 user
@shortnsweet
4th year now! I meant to say, the first year programme has been running for three years and it's going on it's fourth.

I don't know why people equate Glasgow being "easy" with not producing good, practicing vets. I can think of numerous successful alumni and researchers. I guess the youngins just don't know about James Herriot or Bill Jarrett - just to name a few.

It's dumb and I hate it---no part of going to Glasgow was easy. My class lost 18 people going from 4th year to final year. It is by no means an easy road.

I'd like to think i'm proving them wrong considering what I am doing with my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to think i'm proving them wrong considering what I am doing with my life.

Exactly. You're living proof of what a Glasgow vet can do (I may or may not stalk your FB profile for all those cute horse photos).

Yay! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you! I sent them an email asking about my status and they responded with the interview offer....so I really think they forgot about me lol.

I'm confused about the references, do I just bring the same rec letters my vet/professor submitted to VMCAS?

From RVC regarding references:
"Ideally we are looking for references from within the last 18 months to demonstrate you meet our work experience requirements, but you can bring the older ones if this is easier for now. It is mainly to help us decide if we would need you to ask you to complete further work experience should we go on to make you an offer after interview.
The references should accurately state the full amount of time you worked there."

Accepted to Glasgow! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if RVC will ask for transcripts from our fall semesters before sending out offers? I didn't see it as part of their assessment protocol, so perhaps it's just going to be a requirement to keep yourself at a certain GPA?
But if they do want a transcript my school is always a bit behind on those, so I probably have to make additional arrangements if I want to have a chance of sending them anytime before February. :/

Does anyone know if RVC will ask for transcripts from our fall semesters before sending out offers? I didn't see it as part of their assessment protocol, so perhaps it's just going to be a requirement to keep yourself at a certain GPA?
But if they do want a transcript my school is always a bit behind on those, so I probably have to make additional arrangements if I want to have a chance of sending them anytime before February. :/

I'm not sure if they will ask for transcripts, however I know that my friend who went there had to maintain at least a 3.2 or 3.3 (I think it was the latter) during her last semester before heading off to vet school.

I would definitely e-mail them to double-check!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Dublin yet? I think the email said they would start contacting people Nov 4th, but I just thought I would check.

Nope, not yet. Trying not to worry about it too much until after tomorrow haha

I have a feeling we'll start hearing at the beginning of next week, since it sounds like there have been a ton of applicants.

I have a feeling we'll start hearing at the beginning of next week, since it sounds like there have been a ton of applicants.
Where did you find out there have been a ton of applicants? There goes my chances! lol

Anyone here anything yet from UCD? So anxious. I guess if we dont hear about acceptances, we will hear in December (i think) whether or not we are going to be invited for an interview.

Anyone here anything yet from UCD? So anxious. I guess if we dont hear about acceptances, we will hear in December (i think) whether or not we are going to be invited for an interview.

Nope haven't heard anything. Also waiting anxiously :(

Same ..no emails or sisweb updates T_T

@shortnsweet
4th year now! I meant to say, the first year programme has been running for three years and it's going on it's fourth.

I don't know why people equate Glasgow being "easy" with not producing good, practicing vets. I can think of numerous successful alumni and researchers. I guess the youngins just don't know about James Herriot or Bill Jarrett - just to name a few.

Hey Selisona! I just got into Glasgow and I am over the moon about it!!!! However, I was wondering if you know of any American students who've brought their dogs over? I want to bring my dogs along (2 small older ones, and 1 big one) and I'm planning on living alone off campus. Is it hard to find pet friendly housing near school? ALSO, I was wondering if you think Glasgow students have better work life balance compared to other UK schools? thanks so much!!!

To those of you who have been accepted to Glasgow - did you have an interview or were you given an offer without one? If you did - when/where were your interviews?

To those of you who have been accepted to Glasgow - did you have an interview or were you given an offer without one? If you did - when/where were your interviews?
I had an interview last month in California! I believe they will be conducting more interviews later on in New York and they may have not sent out all invites yet, so hang in there!!

I had my interview for Glasgow in California on October 10th, and I found out about acceptance on October 28th! :) I think they let you know within the same week of your interview if you're interviewing in February though (sometimes the day after)!! I think they're having more interviews in January in California in addition to the ones in New York in February this year since they had a record number of applications.

Yeah, I heard they created additional interview spots in New York in February.

Hey Selisona! I just got into Glasgow and I am over the moon about it!!!! However, I was wondering if you know of any American students who've brought their dogs over? I want to bring my dogs along (2 small older ones, and 1 big one) and I'm planning on living alone off campus. Is it hard to find pet friendly housing near school? ALSO, I was wondering if you think Glasgow students have better work life balance compared to other UK schools? thanks so much!!!

The UK is incredibly pet friendly. Make sure you start early with sorting through all the pet passport and vaccine status stuff.

Many people bring their pets and families over, and finding housing is easy. Contacting graduating final years who are letting out their flats is a good way to go because those landlords are pretty used to vets at this point. Or using websites like gumtree. I found it better living with upper years rather than by myself, but maybe that's just me. Anniesland is close to the vet school and Morrisons the grocery store and the West End is near main uni and a lot of great shops on Byres road and the Botanics for dog walking.

Glasgow students know how to work hard, play hard. We study when we need to, but social gatherings are as much of the experience as the classroom and I would encourage anyone to get involved. You stop noticing the age gap, and can enjoy the full vet school abroad experience.
I think Glasgow and Dublin are better known for their shenanigans at AVS conference and being the more social schools, but all the schools have pretty good craic (I give the Dick vets a hard time, but they're good people).

Reactions: 1 users
I got an interview for Dublin!!!!!! My number one choice!! I am SO happy! Has anyone else heard if they have been accepted or invited for an interview?

Congrats that is awesome!!! Nothing for me tho :( hope this doesn't mean bad news

I got an interview from Dublin as well. I'm going to go broke from flying to all these interviews.

Anyone know how much time we have at each of the MMI stations at RVC?

I was just wondering about this.

I know it's 5min per station but I'm not sure if that's including prep time, or how much prep time we get.
Also, do you know if we're allowed to interact with the interviewers at all? I did a mock MMI yesterday and we weren't allowed to interact with them, and they weren't allowed to interact with us, at least for the questions we had. I talked to someone who has been an MMI interviewer before, and he said that we could interact with them if we were teaching them something or if it's clear that the scenario wants you to, but not for any other reason except for to greet them or to thank them for their time at the end.

I got an interview from Dublin as well. I'm going to go broke from flying to all these interviews.
I hear you! I am in NYC now for RVC and now I will have to fly back in January. But totally worth it because Dublin is my number 1 choice!

Congrats that is awesome!!! Nothing for me tho :( hope this doesn't mean bad news
My fingers are crossed for you!!! I am sure they cannot send them all out in one day, you'll get one next week :)

Hi mildredjrt,
I hope your RVC interview went well, and I'm very happy for you that you're having success with your top schools!

Last edited:
Hey, just had my RVC interviews yesterday here in NYC. I'm gonna tell you right now to stop worrying lol. The MMIs they had were much less rigid and structured, and the interviewers are friendly. It's very conversational, and the group exercise was actually fun!
The best advice I can give you is to bring your courteous manners, patience for others and confidence for both the MMIs and the group exercise. Have that, and you will be fine.

The UK is incredibly pet friendly. Make sure you start early with sorting through all the pet passport and vaccine status stuff.

Many people bring their pets and families over, and finding housing is easy. Contacting graduating final years who are letting out their flats is a good way to go because those landlords are pretty used to vets at this point. Or using websites like gumtree. I found it better living with upper years rather than by myself, but maybe that's just me. Anniesland is close to the vet school and Morrisons the grocery store and the West End is near main uni and a lot of great shops on Byres road and the Botanics for dog walking.

Glasgow students know how to work hard, play hard. We study when we need to, but social gatherings are as much of the experience as the classroom and I would encourage anyone to get involved. You stop noticing the age gap, and can enjoy the full vet school abroad experience.
I think Glasgow and Dublin are better known for their shenanigans at AVS conference and being the more social schools, but all the schools have pretty good craic (I give the Dick vets a hard time, but they're good people).

Thank you for all the great advice!!! And yes, I loved that even the glasgow reps at the interview said the students work hard, play hard- it's a great philosophy to live by and to not get burned out during vet school!!

Hey, just had my RVC interviews yesterday here in NYC. I'm gonna tell you right now to stop worrying lol. The MMIs they had were much less rigid and structured, and the interviewers are friendly. It's very conversational, and the group exercise was actually fun!
The best advice I can give you is to bring your courteous manners, patience for others and confidence for both the MMIs and the group exercise. Have that, and you will be fine.
Thanks for the info!! My interview is tomorrow and I'm super nervous. Do you think studying veterinary ethics would help, or is the MMI really just something you can't prepare for?

Was just offered a spot in the 4 year at UCD ^_^ ...is this real life? LOL

It feels unreal, right?!
Congrats!! That's super exciting!

I hope I get to feel that soon, they just emailed me asking if I plan on taking cell biology which is extremely frustrating because I took a cell biology that my provincial vet school wants but apparently it does not meet the requirements for UCD. Problem here is that I cannot go and take another cell biology that is of equal or lesser difficulty because then my provincial vet school will not consider that semester... so I am kind of stuck right now :( I really hoped that cell bio would count. I really wanted a shot at the four year. Every time something feels like its finally working out, something has to happen to knock me down again. I am hoping they may accept a letter from my academic counsellor stating that the courses I have taken (Developmental Biology- a third year cell bio course, and Molecular and Cellular Biology- a first year course) would be sufficient.

I finished my RVC interview! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The interviewers were very nice! My first station was awful, but after that I thought the rest of the stations were fine!

I hope I get to feel that soon, they just emailed me asking if I plan on taking cell biology which is extremely frustrating because I took a cell biology that my provincial vet school wants but apparently it does not meet the requirements for UCD. Problem here is that I cannot go and take another cell biology that is of equal or lesser difficulty because then my provincial vet school will not consider that semester... so I am kind of stuck right now :( I really hoped that cell bio would count. I really wanted a shot at the four year. Every time something feels like its finally working out, something has to happen to knock me down again. I am hoping they may accept a letter from my academic counsellor stating that the courses I have taken (Developmental Biology- a third year cell bio course, and Molecular and Cellular Biology- a first year course) would be sufficient.

I'm really hoping I'll see you there next year! I'm sure it will work out for you.
I think its worth a shot sending the letter from your adviser. Have you looked into taking it over the winter at another college as a non matriculated student? I did that with a few requirements over the winter/summer semesters and didn't send them back to my school.

I'm really hoping I'll see you there next year! I'm sure it will work out for you.
I think its worth a shot sending the letter from your adviser. Have you looked into taking it over the winter at another college as a non matriculated student? I did that with a few requirements over the winter/summer semesters and didn't send them back to my school.

Yeah for sure! I am already planning on taking Microbiology over the winter, after finishing my full-time fall semester. So the ones you took through other universities you did not have to send back to your main school? I thought we had to? That makes things easier. However in the 8 months before vet school starts I am working 40+ hours a week and already taking an online course, Im not sure I could handle two but if it comes to that I will have to do it. If I can get into UCD for the four year it is my best option because it is the most financially feasible!! So many decisions.

I finished my RVC interview! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The interviewers were very nice! My first station was awful, but after that I thought the rest of the stations were fine!
Glad it went well! I found one of that stations tricky too, but the rest was pretty casual!!

Does anyone know if RVC accepts unofficial transcripts for the interview?

Yeah for sure! I am already planning on taking Microbiology over the winter, after finishing my full-time fall semester. So the ones you took through other universities you did not have to send back to your main school? I thought we had to? That makes things easier. However in the 8 months before vet school starts I am working 40+ hours a week and already taking an online course, Im not sure I could handle two but if it comes to that I will have to do it. If I can get
into UCD for the four year it is my best option because it is the most financially feasible!! So many decisions.
I would double check with your school but mine doesn't. I think two classes while working is a lot to take on but it'll definitely be worth it!

I felt like there was so much more I wanted to tell the RVC people, lol not enough time! I did get to talk to one of them a lot of Brexit and Theresa May.