7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
England
Visit site
Status
Hello guys,

This is the first time Ive posted on SDN- so hello! *waves*

Im posting for some advice really. In January 2007 Ill be spending 2 months at the Metropolitan Hospital in NY as part of my elective, spending time in the Emergency Department and with the EMS. Having never travelled to America (I havent even flown before) - Im quite apprehensive about my trip. I understand that the MHC is near or in Harlem, which is quite notorious for being dangerous. Although I may potentially get hospital accommodation Im worried that if I dont Im going to struggle to find somewhere to stay (I know no one over there).

So first off, can anyone tell me a little bit more about the Metropolitan Hospital (is it a good one?), any tips of keeping safe, and any advice on finding decent, reasonably priced accommodation for the 2 months Im there?

Cheers guys

Lisa

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
Firstly, welcome!

Now, as for NYC, Manhattan, &c. New York underwent a renaissance when Mayor Giuliani was in office - even political opponents had to remark favorably how the city was more open. During his predecessor's term, people were "prisoners in their own homes" due to crime throughout the city. Traditionally, "Harlem" started at 125th street and went north, and "Columbiaville" was below 125th, but that has blurred a little. Still, use common sense and you WILL be fine.

Metropolitan has had some shaky times - about 4 years ago, a guy I knew from the NYMC (that sponsors the program) said it was "a mess" - that same year, I had a classmate that did his residency there and it was fine.

As an aside, the film "The Hospital" (with George C. Scott and Malcolm McDowell) was filmed there in 1971.

For residents, they have shoebox sized rooms and subsidized parking for a mere pittance - I don't know if these are available to visiting students.

ggmk

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Flaming_mad said:
Hello guys,

This is the first time Ive posted on SDN- so hello! *waves*

Im posting for some advice really. In January 2007 Ill be spending 2 months at the Metropolitan Hospital in NY as part of my elective, spending time in the Emergency Department and with the EMS. Having never travelled to America (I havent even flown before) - Im quite apprehensive about my trip. I understand that the MHC is near or in Harlem, which is quite notorious for being dangerous. Although I may potentially get hospital accommodation Im worried that if I dont Im going to struggle to find somewhere to stay (I know no one over there).

So first off, can anyone tell me a little bit more about the Metropolitan Hospital (is it a good one?), any tips of keeping safe, and any advice on finding decent, reasonably priced accommodation for the 2 months Im there?

Cheers guys

Lisa
Having been to the UK and travelled throughout Europe, and lived in NYC for a few years myself, I can tell you that living standards in general are lower in NYC. Be ready for public spaces, neighborhoods, infrastructure that might remind you of a 3rd world country, and probably won't fit the image of the financial capital of the USA that you might imagine. Of course NYC has some of the most fancy or expensive places anywhere, but NYC being the epitemy of capitalistic USA, which is the epitemy of capitalism itself, things come in extremes there, even things you don't expect to see in a so-called first world nation. Those are minor things though that you'll get used to quickly, like trash on the street, filthy, worn subway stations, taxis/cars driving lawlessly, uneven, broken sidewalks....etc The USA doesn't exactly take care or invest as much into its middle/lower classes as Europe does, so the public/common things that common people use everyday are often in poor or average maintenace. You might think that the common Brit doesn't get much from the UK govt, but wait till you see things in NYC. It's a matter of different standards.

Finding housing will be frustrating. I know people that think they got a great deal when they're paying $1500usd/month for a studio in the East Village with very basic and outdated fixtures while in western Europe the same space would be considered as some type of slum. I've visted many public/low income housing in Europe and Asia and often they are better in quality than even some of the above average housing in NYC. Just to let you know that if you find something acceptable to you in quality and price, then take it, because what's acceptable to a Brit is already probably some of the better things that NYC has to offer. For something better, and sure there are lots, you'll have to pay a fortune, so don't spend too much time looking for a better deal because there often isn't any.

I think you'll enjoy your experience in NYC if you don't let the difference in quality of life bother you. It's a vibrant, diverse, flavorful city full of some of the most interesting, talented, intelligent people that USA has to offer. I personally look forward to live there again even though I just despise all of the BS that I have to put up with to live there, but it's worth it. It's a love-hate relationship.

About the Ads