UK Medical Schools: Cambridge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi,

i'm currently studying medicine at cambridge.
first of all, no joke the course is incredibly difficult with a vas t amount of material to cover in a short amounot time. i guess that can be said of most medical programs.
the course at cambridge lasts for 5years and one term. you spend 2 years pre-clinical, 1st year studying anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, medical genetics and population sciences. then in the 2nd year anatomy, neurobiology&endocrinology,pathology,pharmacology and psychology....absolutely choka-bloc!
then the 3rd year is left for the individual to pursue their own interest in a single major research subject i.e one of the preclinical options such as biochemistry writing a dissertation at the end of it all.
i have not a lot of knowledge of the 4th and 5th years......clinical school but i assume
it's consists of the normal specialty rotations, each rotation lasting about 3-6months. it's based at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.
The Quality Assessment(QAA) has just given almost all the clinical departments 24 out of 24....
So that explains the reason for their no.1 status as a research institute, no bragging here!
The preclinical consists of 9 8-week terms...which is very short comparative to other uk med schools...which allows me to reiterate the fact that the course is none other than intense....
Requirement for admission is AAA at A-levels, check the website for info for international applicants www.cam.ac.uk
there are approximately about 10-15% international students each year, that's about 30-50 out of the 280-300 students accepted....
anyhow, signing out now.....

jessica

I applied to Jesus College, Cambridge (for those who don't know, Cambridge uni runs by a collegiate system) and my one most important tip is - interview well! I had three interviews there and every single one was difficult, so if you do get an interview, know about medical stuff in the news, read the student BMJ (or equivalent) and know whatever you're working on at the mo in detail - they will ask! I didn't get in (although I did get pooled) but if you want to know more about the interview type experience at Jesus (and each college is different) send me an e-mail and I'll reply (eventually)

ATB, Fiona

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

to fiona...
i'm sorry that u didn't get into cambridge,
i replied because i'm actually at jesus college! so what places have u got offers from?

jessica

Coincidence! I got offers everywhere else I applied - Birmingham, Leeds and St George's. Sent off my decision slip to UCAS a week ago - Birmingham are my first choice (with an untagged AAB) and St George's are my insurance with ABB. I did actually really want to go to Jesus - but I get the distinct feeling that one of the interviewers -Stephen Hladky I think - didn't like me... Oh well, I'm not so bothered now. Birmingham is now the best (!) What are you doing for your third year?

it's not surprising, everyone had a bad interview with dr hladky, plus he's the supervisor in physiology and a bad one too!
birmingham's really good, they were my insurance....
i haven't decided what to do for my third year just yet, probably biochemistry or pathology!

You seem to know a lot about the Oxford course - saw you on the QMW site! Anyway, I get the feeling Dr (or was it prof?) Hladky is one of those guys who is really enthusiastic about their subject but just can't convey it to anyone else! Where else did you get offers? I went up to Brum last week to take a decko at the accommodation - they've got some really nice stuff up there.

I guess you've got exams coming up soon - I know I have! Wish me luck in my final batch of A level modules and I'll wish you luck in your exams
wink.gif
Now I'm going to go and learn Friedel Crafts and Hoffmann Degredation really well...

My dear god, it looks like some one had a very similar experience as I did a few years back! I also applied to Jesus College Cam. ...and yes Dr Hladky also gave me a hard time.....a really silly question on carbohydrate metabolism if I remember rightly (...and yes I also got pooled then had an interview at Pembroke but didn't bother!) Any how I am now at St. Georges Med. Sch. which is most definitely the best med school in Lon.

Brumy LAnd isn't to bad either....but guess most people fall for Cam. and jesus..because the tennis courts are on site!! ha ha ha

Yeah, St Geroge's isn't bad... It's definitely the best London med school! (Pity about the accommodation though - is it possible to get two people past each other in the corridors?!)