UK Medical Schools for NA students.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aks47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I will be graduating from a Canadian university with a 3yr BSc. Since I don't know much about UK med schools, I was wondering if people could direct me to go to get information. All I know is that St. Chris Med School in Luton, England is NOT recognized and is undergoing a major review by the NHS.

Which other med schools are there in the UK that accept NA undergrads...what's the repuation like? Do we apply directly to the school, or is there an application service?

Thanks in advance.
-- Aks47

Members don't see this ad.

you apply through the application service - UCAS. www.ucas.com - on t he site you can do a course search for 'medicine' and anything listed on UCAS is quite legitimate.

try here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1628873,00.html

for subject-based university rankings. For medicine though it's quite subjective and they assess based on some things which may not affect your experience at all. The best med schools (broadly speaking) are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol and Newcastle. I have no idea what the league tables say but I reckon that's quite a fair assessment. Oxbridge and London are particularly popular - and places like Nott, Bristol and Newcastle are more modern, PBL based courses.

Most med schools offer a standard 5 yr(or 6) course open to all school leavers and graduates. Some also offer a graduate-entry 4 year course, but these are VERY hard to get into because they are so popular and still relatively new so few schools offer them.

You may like to visit www.medschoolguide.co.uk which has an international students forum and a forum for each school too. www.admissionsforum.co.uk is also good, and yuo can try www.thestudentroom.co.uk as well - it has a medicine section.

As a NA applicant you will need to contact each school you're interested in applying to and find out what they require of you in terms of High school grades, GPA at university etc. There are not huge numbers of NA applicants (although there are definitely some) so I think a lot of the schools don't publish their grade requirements on their websites for foreign applicants.

Good luck! if you have any more queries about UK med schools in particular / the UK in general, then I'd be happy to try and help.

I've heard Nottingham is fairly open to North American students.

Just anecdotally though, you'd want to check.

Members don't see this ad :)
jane2 said:
Good luck! if you have any more queries about UK med schools in particular / the UK in general, then I'd be happy to try and help.

You're awesome, Jane. Thanks for the tips and direction! These boards were sorely needing more UK residents to help explain things and to speak up.

eastofnorth said:
You're awesome, Jane. Thanks for the tips and direction! These boards were sorely needing more UK residents to help explain things and to speak up.

If anyone else needs help, I'm also studying in the UK (at Glasgow).