1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UK medical schools

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by drlo59, Dec 2, 2002.

1. drlo59

drlo59 Member
    10+ Year Member

I am currently a senior in High School and was thinking about possibly going to the UK for med school (I am QUITE sure I want to go to med school). The main reason I am asking this now is that I have absolutely no clue what the system is like. Do you go to med school after undergrad? If I get a US MD is it easy to get a UK lisence?
    Like I said before, I have absolutely no clue what this would entail, which is why I am asking this now to make sure I don't miss anything important.
    Any info or links would be appreciated.
    Thanks!:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Meese

Meese MS I
    7+ Year Member

Hey --- in the UK, students can enter med school straght out of secondary school. These programs are usually 5 years long, though some may be 6 years if they are intercalated (you do one extra year and earn a bachelor of science degree on top of the med degree). Also, there are more and more graduate-entry programs popping up as I understand, which you can apply to once you have completed an undergrad degree. These are usually 4 years long.

If you are interested, you need to apply through UCAS (UK's university and college admission service), though the deadline for next year's batch was October 15th.....you can still check out their website tho, to get a feel for what's involved -- www.ucas.ac.uk.

since you sound sure you want to do meds, and are probably interested in starting directly rather than doing undergrad, you might want to check out the options available in Ireland... www.atlanticbridge.com. These programs can also be entered straight out of high school, though they are generally 6 years in length. If you drop the Atlantic Bridge Program an email, I'm sure Louis will be quick to answer any questions you might have.

As far as getting licensed in the UK after American med school, I am certainly not an expert. There was a thread a while back called something like "Reading medicine in the UK" which had a link to a British forum much like SDN. If you check back a month or two, you should be able to get there --- I'm sure there will be UK students who can offer some insight into this for you.

Best of luck,

Marisa

4. Sita

Sita Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I think this may be the forum you mean;

http://microbios2.mds.qmw.ac.uk/association/stud-assoc/forum_admissions.html

5. Meese

Meese MS I
    7+ Year Member

Yep, that's the one. Thanks Sita!

6. drlo59

drlo59 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks!:D