UK Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dbate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question regarding medical schools in the United Kingdom. I was contemplating the option of attending medical school in another country for a variety of reasons, but I know that graduates of non-US schools are generally frowned upon, in comparison to their American counterparts. Does the derision often shown toward Caribbean medical schools apply to schools in the UK? And, assuming I actually attended medical school in the UK, would it be harder to match into a residency position in the United States? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey-
I'm doing a gap year in the UK right now, and so from talking to some people my age I've learned that the system is quite different.

It seems like people study "priclinical" sciences with the intention of becoming a doctor for the three years that the US would consider "undergrad" (Ugrad usually lasts only 3 years here). Then, after maybe a year off, they do "clinical" studies for another three years. Then they are a doctor. I met a doctor who was 23. My age. It was weird.

But yea, it seems like what are 4 years of med school are stretched to 6 here, with the expense of having no undergrad. Or you could consider it like have the 8 years of med school + Undergrad to be 6 years of a combined program.

Non-US schools aren't necessarily frowned upon.. as FMGs match into a significant portion of residency positions. Its that IMGs (US residents who had undergraduate medical training abroad) tend to have a harder time.

The other thing to keep in mind is that in the UK, the system is VERY different and also subsidized. Students enter medical programs coming out of what is their equivalent of high school, and schools have strict admissions criteria concerning this. Education is publicly funded in the UK and heavily subsidized (about 80% of your tuition is covered by tax payer funds at most programs). You would only qualify as a UK citizen, and most schools because of this only take citizens of the UK. The few that don't.. I don't know how one could afford tuition there that was not subsidized and also with the exchange rate to keep in mind.