UK (NI) Consultant to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kermicrzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just had a question pertaining to a close friend of mine. She is in the last 12 months of work before becoming an anaesthesiology consultant in Belfast. Anyway she would like to move to the US (most likely California) with her husband and was wondering what tests would she have to take to wok there as an IMG.

Just thought it would be worth an ask, thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I just had a question pertaining to a close friend of mine. She is in the last 12 months of work before becoming an anaesthesiology consultant in Belfast. Anyway she would like to move to the US (most likely California) with her husband and was wondering what tests would she have to take to wok there as an IMG.

ECFMG certification is what is required. Overall, it takes around 18-24 months from start to end if youa re motiivated. So, if she starts now, she could be planning a start date as soon as July 2013.

Hi everyone,

She would have to do the USMLE and complete a US residency. Just because she would be a consultant it doesn't mean she could apply for an attending position. Some places might allow her to skip some years, I have heard of that happening but she certainly shouldn't go there expecting that. US training is very short compared to ours but it will still mean going backwards.

Cheers, thanks for your help on this!