UK Pharmacist coming to America to practice - Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringpharmac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll get straight to the point. I'm a pharmacy student here in the UK and after I qualify, I'll be considering my options abroad for various reasons. America has been one of those countries I have considered.

I am aware that I would have to sit the FPGEE (assuming they clear my qualification) as a well as an English test. I think thereafter, I would need to accrue some internship hours, then sit the NAPLEX, then sit the MSJE.

Would this be the correct way of going about it? Also, I was wondering if someone could advise on what kind of salaries pharmacists in the US get. Can these internship hours be with anyone?

Is the market saturated with pharmacists at the moment? Would I face fierce competition for jobs? What are house prices like in the US nowadays?

I'm all very new to the pharmacy market in the US at the moment, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the state you are in. Most state have too many pharmacists. They have opened 40 new schools over the past 7-8 years. Rethink the option of coming here.

I wouldn't bother, things here are very tight particularly for foreign educated pharmacists. You may want to reconsider your future decisions. Unless you can come here and earn that magical Pharm D.