CurrySpice

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm looking at applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, (maybe RVC too) next year, but I am lacking in vet experience. I have a fair amount of animal experience, and enough vet experience to know that I would enjoy the work. Their websites say ~2 weeks (80 hours) is the minimum, but does that hold true for US students too?

Quick rundown...

Will be applying as Junior at small LAC
GPA= 3.83 (may go down slightly this semester)
prereqGPA/scienceGPA= 4.00 (includes GenChem1, GenChem2, Bio2, AP Bio, Orgo 1, Calc II)

Animal Experience:
Equine > 5,000 caring for horses, riding, training, instructing, etc.
Mixed (mini donkey, mini horse, potbellied pigs, rabbits, kittens) ~ 250
Small (humane society dogs/cats) ~ 50
Large (beef cattle) ~80

Vet Experience:
Equine (surgery at well-known hospital): 40 hours
Small (split between 2 practices): 80 hours

I need to find a vet to shadow/work at this summer near Philly to get a good letter of rec... but it will probably be small animal (unless anyone has good suggestions?!).

But, assuming I can get that... am I competitive at all????

Jan 14, 2010
Status
I'm looking at applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, (maybe RVC too) next year, but I am lacking in vet experience. I have a fair amount of animal experience, and enough vet experience to know that I would enjoy the work. Their websites say ~2 weeks (80 hours) is the minimum, but does that hold true for US students too?

Quick rundown...

Will be applying as Junior at small LAC
GPA= 3.83 (may go down slightly this semester)
prereqGPA/scienceGPA= 4.00 (includes GenChem1, GenChem2, Bio2, AP Bio, Orgo 1, Calc II)

Animal Experience:
Equine > 5,000 caring for horses, riding, training, instructing, etc.
Mixed (mini donkey, mini horse, potbellied pigs, rabbits, kittens) ~ 250
Small (humane society dogs/cats) ~ 50
Large (beef cattle) ~80

Vet Experience:
Equine (surgery at well-known hospital): 40 hours
Small (split between 2 practices): 80 hours

I need to find a vet to shadow/work at this summer near Philly to get a good letter of rec... but it will probably be small animal (unless anyone has good suggestions?!).

But, assuming I can get that... am I competitive at all????

Yes! You should be!

I got in (didn't apply to RVC, though) and my stats are lower than yours. Keep in mind that Glasgow is the only one without a 4 year equivalent program. I can see you being accepted into the Edinburgh GEP (4 year) program easily with your experiences. you need at least a 3.4, I think, to get into the 4 year program. Edinburgh and Glasgow didn't require any supplemental information, so all I had to do was check the box on VMCAS (I also applied in the states).

Also, Glasgow and RVC require interviews (I think both schools had one site in San Francisco and somewhere on the East Coast, usually New York). You will probably have to travel. Edinburgh doesn't have interviews, but this year did an informational reception in San Francisco and New York. I thought it was great (though, I only had to travel about 20 minutes and it was well worth the $9 I had to spend.) =P

CurrySpice

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks for the encouragement!

Flying to NYC isn't a huge problem. I'm in the midwest, but within an hour of a major airport. I only hope I get far enough in the process to get an interview...

I found a place nearby that will (hopefully!) let me do an equine vet internship next fall, which would be FANTASTIC, and I can get some more experience to talk about in an interview.