Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I am an English National studying a 5 year MBBS at the Hull York Medical School. When I graduate I want to move straight to Germany to begin my medical career there. I will probably live there indefinitely.

As I understand it the German system equivalent to our F1 year is the 1.5 year Arzt im Praktikum. Would I be eligible for this on the strength of my MBBS alone?

Normally in the UK you must complete the F1 year to convert your provisional GMC registration into full GMC registration. Would this make a difference with respect to applying for the Arzt im Praktikum? What would be the implications of not doing this first year in the UK and going straight to Germany. Would it just make it more difficult for me to return to England and practice here?

I hope someone out there can give me some advice or suggest where I might find it.

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Oct 31, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi,

I hope someone out there can give me some advice or suggest where I might find it.

Thanks for your help,

Richard
I know when I looked at Germany, I found that I thought you needed to go through the Bundesaerztekammer to contact the individual state boards and ask them what you need to do to apply for the Praktikum.

Pick a state, and go from there? You could try asking on Medizin-Forum.de for more info. As for practicing in the UK after training in DE, any speciality training in an EU country is approvable as equivalent in the UK or other EU countries. If you split half way through, might be a different matter but I doubt it. In Ireland, our new system allows AFAIK any grads from any EU country to apply for internship posts (F1 level, just one year only) to keep in line with the recommendations/law.