UK/UofL stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would see if any of you guys are Kentucky residents and find out where you are applying. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there are several people on here from Ky, including me. I applied last year, and I'm going to UK - along with KyGrlDr2B, NastyC5, and Mongoose. Firebird is from Ky, but I don't know for sure how long it'll be before he applies.

Just ask any of us about anything you want. :)

Where else did you guys from KY apply? I am applying to all the KY schools but don't know where else to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamier2,
Did you get my PM?
Thanks,
Cutes

I only sent in secondaries to UK and UofL, and got into both. I also applied to Vandy, Wake Forest, Nebraska, Creighton, and two others that I've forgotten. I wasn't interested in going to private school, so I didn't follow the others up once I got in at UK. :)

For what it's worth, I would pick your out of state schools based on your school needs/likes/etc., and not on what other people from Kentucky did.

Jamier2,
Did you apply to the PCSOM (osteopathic school in Pikeville--where I go to undergrad)?

I'm from Ky. I'm currently a junior at UK.

Do you guys think it's safe to consider UK and UofL "safety schools"? How competitive is it for in-state students to get in? I think UK accepts about 25% and UofL accepts about 30%. The mean GPA at both is about 3.7. Do you think it is a fair generalization that in-state applicants with above average stats are going to be accepted without a problem?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cutes:
•Jamier2,
Did you get my PM?
Thanks,
Cutes•••••Yes, I responded.

No, I didn't apply to Osteopathic schools. :)

A friend of mine did, and she got in there, but she's deferring.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by owen_osh:
•Do you guys think it's safe to consider UK and UofL "safety schools"? Do you think it is a fair generalization that in-state applicants with above average stats are going to be accepted without a problem?•••••I think most who have near the school averages should be successful, but numbers aren't everything. I know of one person who applied two years in a row, but his personality kept him out.

But, in all reality, I wouldn't consider it nearly as competitive at either UK or UofL, compared to other states like Florida or California particularly.

I just ran across this...I agree with Jamie in that Uk and U of L aren't too competitive. I think with these schools, if you get your application materials in early and are average or above you have a good chance. Later in the cycle, I'm sure it's more competitive, as it is with any school doing rolling admissions.

NastyC5 does know someone who was waitlisted at UK in October and he can't figure out why--apparently his personality, grades, and MCAT were good. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. Good luck!

Yo!

Count me in. I'll be applying to both UofL and UK. I am currently a KY resident and wouldn't mind going to either school.

To answer your question from before I'll also be applying to MCW, GWU, MCP-H and a few others. I've looked at the MSAR and am choosing only private schools for all my out of state apps. Any other questions, PM me.

Who else out there is applying from KY?

I really don't think that UK is that much about the numbers, I used to, but not anymore. I know a guy who had a 4.0undergrad GPA, a decent MCAT, and tons of EC's, but he had the personality of a cardboard box--he got waitlisted while his best friend got in with a lower GPA and MCAT. What do you guys think about this?

How are UK and UL with out of state applicants. I'm from accross the river, cincinnati, and thinking of applying to your schools... depending on the competetiveness for out of state apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by c_redleg:
•How are UK and UL with out of state applicants. I'm from accross the river, cincinnati, and thinking of applying to your schools... depending on the competetiveness for out of state apps.•••••I don't think that it is impossible to get in to UK or UofL from out-of-state, that is if you have the right numbers, I know the avg. MCAT for out of state is like a 10 in each part. Also, I know that there is a percentage reserved for in-state applicants and also alumnus children who are applying--so I don't know how many seats that leaves. If you have reasonably high numbers and really want to come to Kentucky, go for it!!! Good luck!!

Hey cutes, I am still using my husband's login name because I am waiting for login approval. Anyway I was wondering if anyone from KY has applied to Wright State University and got an interview.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by c_redleg:
•How are UK and UL with out of state applicants. I'm from accross the river, cincinnati, and thinking of applying to your schools... depending on the competetiveness for out of state apps.•••••I'm not sure if Louisville has a cut-off, but UK does. Out of staters must have all 10's on MCAT and a 3.75 to be given a secondary. They take about 8-10 out of state a year. Hope this helps.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jamier2:
•Well, there are several people on here from Ky, including me. I applied last year, and I'm going to UK - along with KyGrlDr2B, NastyC5, and Mongoose. Firebird is from Ky, but I don't know for sure how long it'll be before he applies.

Just ask any of us about anything you want. :) •••••Hey,
I was just wondering if you guys that are in at UK would mind telling me about your MCAT and GPA. I completely understand if you don't want to, just interested about my chances of getting in. Thanks for any help you are willing to give.

I feel obligated to reply here, but I don't really know of anything to say because I am not even to the point of taking the MCAT yet. I'll be applying next June, so I probably need to take the August MCAT.

Anyway, just to take up some space, the schools I will probably apply to will be UK, UofL, and Marshall. Those are my top three choices. I will perhaps consider PCSOM, Cincinnati, and maybe a few others that are further away like Shreveport or something.

Anyone else from KY?

Does anyone know the stats for UK and UofL for an in-state applicant? Thanks.

Would any Kentuckians prefer to go to a more prestigious school outside Ky?

UK stats (from usnews.com/grad, hope you can decifer it):
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 1,045 279 130 96
In state: 434 244 114 88
Out of state: 611 35 16 8
Women: 474 120 78 57
Minorities: 59 8 4 4
International: 9 1 1 1

Acceptance rate: 12.4%

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.66

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 9.5
Verbal reasoning: 9.2
Physical sciences: 9.5
Biological: 9.7
Writing: O

Undergraduate Majors
Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.): 56%
Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc.): 24%
Non-sciences (sociology, economics, English, etc.): 13%
Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.): 2%
Mixed disciplines and other: 5%

U of L stats:
Total: 1,345 277 184 141
In state: 448 223 149 124
Out of state: 897 54 35 17
Women: 603 137 124 77
Minorities: 263 44 34 23
International: 0 0 0 0

Acceptance rate: 13.7%

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.58

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 8.9
Verbal reasoning: 9.1
Physical sciences: 8.6
Biological: 9
Writing: O

Undergraduate Majors
Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.): 61%
Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc.): 11%
Non-sciences (sociology, economics, English, etc.): 16%
Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.): 3%
Mixed disciplines and other: 9%

Pikeville stats:
Total: 693 121 88 64
In state: 72 60 46 39
Out of state: 621 61 42 25
Women: 274 48 38 28
Minorities: 24 10 6 2
International: 36 2 0 0

Acceptance rate: 12.7%

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.29

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 7.5
Verbal reasoning: 8
Physical sciences: 6.9
Biological: 7.7
Writing: N/A

Undergraduate Majors
Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.): 50%
Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc.): 25%
Non-sciences (sociology, economics, English, etc.): 16%
Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.): 6%
Mixed disciplines and other: 3%

I just noticed something strange: UK and U of L are both over half female. Why?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by owen_osh:
•I just noticed something strange: UK and U of L are both over half female. Why?•••••I think the trend is toward more females applying now than ever to make up for small amount in the past. If there are more women than men, then it is reasonable that there will be more women than men. I think the numbers will average out to a point pretty soon, though.

Cutes, I sent you a PM.

Does anyone know if Univ. Ky. alternate list has started to move? Looks like they only take a few from the list if the above stats prove right.

LLOYD-What are my chances?
MARY-Not good.
LLOYD-You mean not good, like one out of a
hundred?
MARY-I'd say more like one out of a
million.
LLOYD-Sooooo, you're telling me there's a
chance?

--Dumb and Dumber

so 149 ky residents are accepted at u of l and 124 martriculate... and 114 ky residents are accepted at uk and 88 matriculate... where's the overlap between schools? are a lot of ky residents accepted at both schools and go to the other one?

so lookin at the stats, if u get an interview at both schools, there's a high likelyhood (95%) that you'll end up going to either one. is that right guys?

Originally posted by virilep
so lookin at the stats, if u get an interview at both schools, there's a high likelyhood (95%) that you'll end up going to either one. is that right guys?

Something is wrong with those numbers. I think (but this is from memory) that each school interviews 400-500. So, call it 900 total for both schools. Uk accepts ~94, UofL ~135... so ~230/900 accepted, or about 26%. If we assume that many of the same people interview at both schools, then maybe the total acceptance rate approaches 40-50% of interviewees.

Hey guys. I'm from kentucky and would have normally applied this coming cycle. I ended up applying to the Medical College of Ohio through their MEDStart program (you apply as a junior without MCAT) and got accepted, so I'm doing that instead. I would have applied to both UK and UofL, but I'm not sure which one I would have preferred. Someone was wanting advice on what other schools to apply to out of state. I would recommend MCO. When I was interviewing there they gave us info about their classes. They accept 20% of the class from out of state, which works out to about 30 students since the class is ~150. That's a lot better than most schools. I'm not sure if all ohio schools use this same percentage, but MCO does for sure. Plus maybe they view Kentuckians more favorably than other out-of-staters since it is a bordering state.

Also, I know that the only out-of-staters considered by UT Memphis (and I assume ETSU as well) due to legislation are the eight states bordering TN. So if you apply there you will only be competing with out of state applicants from 8 states instead of 50.

And lastly, it seems like I read on here somewhere that Cincy considers certain counties in KY as in-state for admission purposes and tuition purposes. This could just be an SDN rumor, but I know it's true for certain undergrads so it would make sense for med schools to do the same.

Cincy has some reciprocity agreement with the far norther KY counties... but, it does not extend as far as Louisville or Lexington. However, Cincy is still a good option for out of staters because we can get instate tuition after 1 year, and the tuition is only ~10K more than it is at UK/UL for instaters.

owen_osh said:
I just noticed something strange: UK and U of L are both over half female. Why?

I can't resist... XY * XX... 1/2 XX + 1/2 XY. :)

virilep said:

No, you're still not that likely to get accepted, especially if you interview late in the cycle.

hi guys and gals,

Just thought i'd say hello, I'm new to the boards. I'm a KY resident and will be going through the application process this year. Got my bachelor's in Computer Science, worked in software engineering field for about a year, then quit to go back to school and get the med school reqs. Took the MCAT this past Saturday (the 17th). First time I've taken the real one, I'm overly anxious to get results back hehe. I'm certain I'll be applying to UK and UofL, but not sure where else atm. Definitely have my heart set on UK :thumbup:

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all!

GO BIG BLUE!