UKy Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervousNJpremed

OMS1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--

Psyched because I just scored my first interview (so late, I know! :( ) for Univ. of Kentucky. It's in a few weeks, their class is already full, but they are expecting some spots to open up. My dreams of becoming a doctor were feeling crushed until I got this interview offer, so I want to make sure I do well. :)

I'm an out of state student with a 3.5 overall GPA, 3.2 science GPA, 30Q MCAT (12VR, 10 BS, 8 PS), and ties to the state. I have a really well-rounded application otherwise (community service fraternity, lots of leadership positions, honor societies, deans list, volunteering, shadowing, research, 2 jobs during school, scholarships and more).

I was hoping someone who's been interviewed by UK might be able to clue me in on the format. Is it a blind interview? Is it panel? What kind of questions did they ask? What do you think my chances are like as an out of state applicant with the above credentials, especially this late in the game?

Thanks -- I appreciate any help.

NervousNJPremed

Members don't see this ad.

They have your whole app, numbers and all. You'll have two interviews and they are laid back. As for your numbers, its a toss up as they just launched a plan to be a top 20 state school which means raising stats.

Focus on your ties to KY. They are really looking for people who want to potentially stay in the state.

They are looking for students who will do general practice in rural KY. Whether or not this interests you, play this card for all it is worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also suggest looking up the Interview Feedback links through the front page of SDN. I posted my interview stuff from this year and there are a bunch from previous years. They give you a good idea of what kind of questions will be asked and what the format is like. It's a laid back atmosphere, so I don't think you should worry about being put on the spot.

Granted, I was rejected, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Thanks everyone! Your advice has been really helpful. UKy is my top choice (and only interview offer:scared:), so I really hope I get in, even though I'm just being considered for the alternate list at the moment.

Its a great place. Very laid back interview. The class is full so its for a waitlist spot. Good luck!

Its a great place. Very laid back interview. The class is full so its for a waitlist spot. Good luck!

Laid back, yeah right. If your idea of laid back is a barage of ethical questioning which involves everything from malpractice to affirmative action, then I guess thats it. And when you think you finally peg a good answer, the scenario changes to make it even more convoluted and F***** up. I also was accused of torturing animals.

yikes!

my first interview there was WONDERFUL. really nice and laid back, super conversational. My second interview was trying to be a stress interview, but didn't work too well. He never smiled, never made eye contact, went down a list and didn't reply to anything I said. It wasn't terrible, he didn't grill me like Doc's experience. But, it was very different from the first. He had my file open in front of me and was flipping through it, barking questions. I think if your head is level and you don't get whoever Doc got, you'll be good. However...one girl in my group came back from her second interview ghostly white and visibly shaking. She didn't want to talk about it, but apparently he basically told her she was unprepared for the interview and therefore med school. So I think there's one super scary dude there. I think he was in Neurology.

They do match you really really well based on your activities though. My first interviewer was just like me, only 20 years later, it seemed. The second ran a center similar to one I described in the "most meaningful experience" essay, so I suppose we had stuff in common--we just never got to talk about it.

But at the end of both interviews, when you get to ask the questions, they became like real conversations, and turned out really well. I loved my time at UK, and now I'm just waiting to hear about the waitlist (boo!).

Definitely sit in on classes the day before your interview if you can. It was a great experience (only 8 to 12!) and I got to pick a lot of students' brains. You get the positive AND the negative that way.

and GOOD LUCK!! :luck::luck::luck:

yikes!

my first interview there was WONDERFUL. really nice and laid back, super conversational. My second interview was trying to be a stress interview, but didn't work too well. He never smiled, never made eye contact, went down a list and didn't reply to anything I said. It wasn't terrible, he didn't grill me like Doc's experience. But, it was very different from the first. He had my file open in front of me and was flipping through it, barking questions. I think if your head is level and you don't get whoever Doc got, you'll be good. However...one girl in my group came back from her second interview ghostly white and visibly shaking. She didn't want to talk about it, but apparently he basically told her she was unprepared for the interview and therefore med school. So I think there's one super scary dude there. I think he was in Neurology.

They do match you really really well based on your activities though. My first interviewer was just like me, only 20 years later, it seemed. The second ran a center similar to one I described in the "most meaningful experience" essay, so I suppose we had stuff in common--we just never got to talk about it.

But at the end of both interviews, when you get to ask the questions, they became like real conversations, and turned out really well. I loved my time at UK, and now I'm just waiting to hear about the waitlist (boo!).

Definitely sit in on classes the day before your interview if you can. It was a great experience (only 8 to 12!) and I got to pick a lot of students' brains. You get the positive AND the negative that way.

and GOOD LUCK!! :luck::luck::luck:

If you are sitting in a Rocking Chair, consider it the rocking chair of doom, and prepare yourself by quickly praying to what ever God you worship.

Yeah man, Rocking chair. guess he wanted to make me feel uncomfortable from the start.

That's nuts!! HAha Seriously, some of the stuff AdComs come up with... I would've had a mental 2-second freakout, said "A rocking chair? Awesome!" and tried to chill out. hahah