Ultimate med school must-have

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soprano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -
I'm starting to plan for starting school in August, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the ultimate "med school must-have". I've got a really reliable laptop that I'm going to be bringing to school, but what else do you think I should plan to purchase? Is there a piece of software, a PDA, a book, anything, that you found useful for M1 and beyond? It seems like everyone figures out these really great tools once they start school, I was hoping I could get a jump start.
;)

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard alot of buzz about Iverson's Guide to Getting Into a Residency. Alot of 3rd and 4th year students have told me that they wish they had that book when they were 1st years, so they could plan ahead.

p.s. kinda funny that you're finally done with med school applications (congrats!) and here I am telling you to read a book about applying to residency. It never ends does it!

an MP3 player!

well, if you don't already have one. mine is like my best friend. i have all different music for studying, pre-exam stressing, the bus ride to class, working out, even some jazz for when i want to nap in the med library between classes. i have an iPod mini, but any kind will do! i don't think i could get through the day without using it at least once.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:

drdr2010 said:
an MP3 player!

well, if you don't already have one. mine is like my best friend. i have all different music for studying, pre-exam stressing, the bus ride to class, working out, even some jazz for when i want to nap in the med library between classes. i have an iPod mini, but any kind will do! i don't think i could get through the day without using it at least once.

Haha, agree. It's almost always at my side!

First of all, this is like our class bible for the year: Costanzo

I'd also invest in a good mp3 player like the other post recommends, as well as a cell phone to keep in touch with your non-med friends - trust me, when all you see are classmates all day and night, you'll be glad of your 'real world' friends!

i have an iPod mini, but any kind will do! i don't think i could get through the day without using it at least once.

They look kool. I'd get one too, but BLAH, $99 FOR A BATTERY REPLACEMENT IN 2 YEARS? I mean comon, Creative's Zen battery only costs $45 and u can replace it yourself... But on the flip side, Zen looks hella ugly... I hear that Apple will wipe out the HD when they replace the battery... BLAH! Waiting for the day when compact HD Mp3 players get better....

soprano said:
Hi all -
I'm starting to plan for starting school in August, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the ultimate "med school must-have". I've got a really reliable laptop that I'm going to be bringing to school, but what else do you think I should plan to purchase? Is there a piece of software, a PDA, a book, anything, that you found useful for M1 and beyond? It seems like everyone figures out these really great tools once they start school, I was hoping I could get a jump start.
;)

As someone who just finished med school, I would say that the one thing you need is the mentality to have a good time. Don't stress about every little detail, and enjoy life while you're there, you'll thank yourself for it when you're done. Don't let med school rule your life, be a more "well rounded person." You'll be a better doctor for it too., just my 2cents.

A jumbo pack of highlighters, a case of Coors Light, and a huge bottle of aspirin.

Turn wherever you live into a palace of relaxation: I'm talkin' about a nice robe, a coffee maker or tons of instant coffee, and lots of high quality pillows. Savor every minute you don't have to be on the wards or in the classroom and sleep, sleep sleep! :)

i would have to go with a tivo - hands down.

or maybe a season pass to the local ski resort... even better.

Some random stuff that has made my 1st year easier...

Different color pens for drawing out pathways and stuff.

Steadman's Concise Medical Dictionary on CD... we got this free from the CMA when we got to school and it has really been helpful to have on my computer to look up medical terminology when it comes up.

A Crock-Pot, George Forman grill, microwave, tons of Tupperware... there's not going to be tons of time to cook, and sitting down to a nice home cooked dinner, even if it is reheated, makes the day seem much better.

A Costco membership to stock up on snacks, school supplies, cheap gas, whatever.

A comfortable desk chair.

A cell phone plan with lots of minutes for keeping in touch with people from wherever you are.

And I second the comfy bedding to get a good night's sleep whever you can.

LoneCoyote said:
Some random stuff that has made my 1st year easier...

Different color pens for drawing out pathways and stuff.

Steadman's Concise Medical Dictionary on CD... we got this free from the CMA when we got to school and it has really been helpful to have on my computer to look up medical terminology when it comes up.

A Crock-Pot, George Forman grill, microwave, tons of Tupperware... there's not going to be tons of time to cook, and sitting down to a nice home cooked dinner, even if it is reheated, makes the day seem much better.

A Costco membership to stock up on snacks, school supplies, cheap gas, whatever.

A comfortable desk chair.

A cell phone plan with lots of minutes for keeping in touch with people from wherever you are.

And I second the comfy bedding to get a good night's sleep whever you can.
it's like you're in my apartment!! :laugh:

I would also suggest an mp3 player, and for me, I have to have my dog. My little beagle keeps me sane.

Seconding getting an MP3 player. I've got a Zen Micro and I love it. I keep about 500 mb for Goljan lectures and the rest with full albums of all different types of music.

Also recommending something that you do to relax, video games, movies, music whatever it is bring it with you. I also recommend a good pair of running shoes, there is absolutely nothing better than taking a 45 min jog after a long day of lectures/studying.

NIQ said:
, there is absolutely nothing better than taking a 45 min jog after a long day of lectures/studying.

Well...a jog and then shower sex is better than just a jog.

bmcgilligan said:
Haha right on :D

bmcgilligan said:

hahaha!!1 A gal after my own heart! :thumbup: :laugh:

japhy said:
i would have to go with a tivo - hands down.

or maybe a season pass to the local ski resort... even better.

i hate you. (only 4 ski days this past year)