Ultrasound guided central lines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my cardiac attendings told me he did more CVL than PIV, He was trained in 90's at a place where IV drug abusers crowded. It was probably easier to start a CVL than a 20 G IV.

If an attending posted on here that he/she had performed more than 20,000 central lines in their career I would have no problem believing that statement was truthful. This would be especially so for anyone who has practiced for more than 20 years in a busy, high volume practice.

Another example is Regional Blocks. It is quite possible to do more blocks in a high volume Ortho/hand practice in the first 30 days than you did in your entire Residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing 10K of anything is awesome. Care to share some tips, Blade? Anterior vs middle (apex of SCM) approaches, Needle vs angiocath, transduce or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
so, blade, tell me about the typical week that results in you personally placing 15-20 central lines. and then tell me how you managed to place 15+ lines per day as a matter of routine? were you still delivering anesthetics? doing 4 hearts per day in each of 4 rooms? whatever it is, im sure it will be great and educational.

so, blade, tell me about the typical week that results in you personally placing 15-20 central lines. and then tell me how you managed to place 15+ lines per day as a matter of routine? were you still delivering anesthetics? doing 4 hearts per day in each of 4 rooms? whatever it is, im sure it will be great and educational.

No. I'm finished explaining myself. Some of us actually worked hard in the 1990s- like 12 plus hour days.

Out of plane for me. I have never done a in-plane ultrasound-guided central line placement (nor have I ever seen any of my fellow anesthesiologists do this).

I've always been taught out-of-plane. Some of my attendings like you to follow the needletip (while still out of plane) and some also like you to switch to in-plane to see the wire in the IJ.

I am a CA-1 and have put in maybe 8-10 RIJ central lines over the past 1.5 years. Not enough repetition for me to feel really comfortable yet. The main problem that I seem to be having is threading the guidewire. Usually no problems accessing the IJ (although I did have one accidental carotid puncture which we recognized). When I am threading the guidewire I usually get to a point maybe 8-10 cm into threading it where I meet resistance. Usually I pull back on the guidewire, attempt to turn it and readvance it. Often times the same issue with some resistance that I don't want to push through. Sometimes my attending will glove up and flip the guidewire so that instead of the curved end they will pass the other blunt end. It seems like this helps sometime. Any tips on what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks for the help. It is really bothering me that I am needing to get bailed out on my lines. I am headed to the ICU for a few months coming up and am going to have to put lines in unsupervised at night so I need to get this figured out.

I am a CA-1 and have put in maybe 8-10 RIJ central lines over the past 1.5 years. Not enough repetition for me to feel really comfortable yet. The main problem that I seem to be having is threading the guidewire. Usually no problems accessing the IJ (although I did have one accidental carotid puncture which we recognized). When I am threading the guidewire I usually get to a point maybe 8-10 cm into threading it where I meet resistance. Usually I pull back on the guidewire, attempt to turn it and readvance it. Often times the same issue with some resistance that I don't want to push through. Sometimes my attending will glove up and flip the guidewire so that instead of the curved end they will pass the other blunt end. It seems like this helps sometime. Any tips on what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks for the help. It is really bothering me that I am needing to get bailed out on my lines. I am headed to the ICU for a few months coming up and am going to have to put lines in unsupervised at night so I need to get this figured out.

do not get into the habit of doing that.

first thing i do when i cant thread the wire is remove the wire, hook the syringe back up, re-establish good flow, and then rotate the needle so that the bevel points in a different direction (90-180, whatever). that may redirect the wire away from the vessel wall

i feel that when people place US-guided IJ lines they forget which direction the vessel naturally goes and simply lock their eyes on whatever in on the screen. occasionally the needle is not as parallel to the vessel as it should be, and as a result (especially if its up against the wall), your wire will not thread easily. it is also not as easy to hold the needle perfectly still when reaching for the wire, etc. and if it moves in or out a little, that can be an issue.

one thing that helped me in training (which i still do) is to use the needle with the flexible catheter on it, thread that catheter off the needle, and then thread the wire through that - if it threads easily, it is in the vessel and the wire should go easily. this also allows you to have more control over the vessel, i think, and to hook up the CVP tubing for assessing venous flow, if you are into that.

the best advice is simply to learn the anatomy, realize things arent always where they are supposed to be, and dont be afraid to restick. you will learn eventually what resistance you can push through and what resistance you cant, but ill tell you from firsthand experience, a needle in the middle of a vessel (and parallel to the flow of that vessel) provides very little resistance to a wire, in the absence of clot or other anatomical problem.

Like Idio said. Try to make sure your needle and bevel are in position to let the guide wire go straight south. 8-10 lines is just getting started. It will get much easier with time and repetition.

If you do it in plane you can confirm that your needle tip is in the lumen and it should wire. Often there is not enough neck to go in plane, unless you have a small footprint probe.

Hey anyone doing USG subclavian lines? The vessel is a little deeper than an IJ but definitely visible and distinct from the artery. You can go out of plane, but my n=1 was in plane.

Hey anyone doing USG subclavian lines? The vessel is a little deeper than an IJ but definitely visible and distinct from the artery. You can go out of plane, but my n=1 was in plane.

Yes, although it's the axillary vein that's being cannulated if you're distal to the 1st rib. I've found the depth to be 3-5 cm depending on BMI. What's nice about this is you can see pleura as well as vein & artery. The view can be less clear than IJs due to the depth.

Have done a few and am doing more. I generally only do them if the pt. is coagulopathic and I really want to place a subclavian line. I have also used it if they have unusual anatomy. I have had a few patients that I saw arterial pulsation while prepping the chest or felt distinct pulsation when palpating landmarks for subclavian. Not interested in accessing the subclavian artery if I don't have to. You can take a steeper angle when accessing the vessel than you traditionally would but you can also usually see the pleura so should be less chance of pneumo. It does slow down subclavian placement a little but is worth it if you can prevent a complication. Not something I think is needed on all subclavians, just a good technique to know mainly for coagulopathic patients.

Yeah, technically you are entering the vein when it is the axillary vein. When you bill/chart do you call it Axillary? Maybe I should write "axillary-subclavian line"