Ultrasound needles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I purchased a vscan air. First patient was for tibial nerve blocks. I could see my anatomy fine. I used a 20g Tuohy but could not see it at all. Got the blocks in using hydrodissection. Looking for recs for cheap but better needles.

Members don't see this ad.

Pajunk sonographic needles are the best, but very very expensive
Clint Pharmaceuticals carries a brand of sonographic needles made in Japan I believe which are cheaper and good. Good enough that I rarely need the Pajunk needles.

I purchased a vscan air. First patient was for tibial nerve blocks. I could see my anatomy fine. I used a 20g Tuohy but could not see it at all. Got the blocks in using hydrodissection. Looking for recs for cheap but better needles.
Do you have a phantom to check this out in? A 20g Tuohy is very hyperechoic so I would want to rule out something weird with the signal processing on the handheld unit. There's a surprising amount of processing that goes into making a nice US image. Looking on the GE Website, I oddly enough don't see any clinical pictures with needles in view although their pics look nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. I had it in nerve mode also. So maybe vasc or msk presets would be better. I haven’t done any us in years but I still think I should have seen the needle. I gave myself a knee injection with it also and could not see the 25g needle. But my knee got numb.

Good point. I had it in nerve mode also. So maybe vasc or msk presets would be better. I haven’t done any us in years but I still think I should have seen the needle. I gave myself a knee injection with it also and could not see the 25g needle. But my knee got numb.
That's weird. It should do fine but I would really play with it before you invest in a fancy needle. It might just have a very narrow slice where it captures as compared to a traditional probe.

I’ve never gotten to play with the hyperechoic needles but I agree with Orin - you should be able to see a 20g pretty easily. There may be something with the settings that’s smoothing it out.

I have used all kinds of echogenic needles. Nothing beats the 20g Tuohy - a real one with a stylet. Lots of people make a "touhy" needle for blocks that don't have the stylet. That makes a big difference. I suspect the hollow channel in the middle makes the needle more echogenic - thus the reason a thinner wall, large hole, another thin wall - is better than just a shape of the tip.

Nothing beats those Pajunk 100s… like doing the injection with a lightsaber bzzoww!

Reactions: 1 user
Hate to be the one to say it but maybe practice a little if it’s been a while since you’ve used much US. The beam is less than 1 mm thick typically. 25g needle is o.5 mm if I remember correctly. 20g is pretty hefty

Reactions: 1 user
Should always be able to see a 20G. Practice and take extra time in the next few to brush up.

I second the 22G 10cm Pajunk, king of all ultrasound needles.

I’ve always used the medline ultrasound 21g blunt tip. Seems to work well.

You should only need sonographic needles for deep structures requiring acute angles of entry. Otherwise they are a poor ROI. If your needle is at all perpendicular to the beam it should be quite visible.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been a big fan of BBraun's stimuplex needles - crisp as all get-out. After playing with them in residency it was very disappointing and difficult to go back to the old-fashioned pointy things.