UM hold and complete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerintherain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the University of Michigan status page, there seems to be two kinds of message. One is "hold" which I interpret as we have reviewed your file but we would like to see other applicants too.

Another kind of status page says: you are complete, we have all your LORs, and you will probably hear from us in a few months.

Obviously, if you are recently complete, it might take some time to hear from them. But if you have been complete for some time (more than 2 weeks) and have not heard from them, what does that mean? Have they even reviewed your file? Is this a rejection? Was there ever applicants who were in the complete category for a long time and eventually got an interview? Has there been any officially rejections pre-interivews yet?

Members don't see this ad.

On the University of Michigan status page, there seems to be two kinds of message. One is "hold" which I interpret as we have reviewed your file but we would like to see other applicants too.

Another kind of status page says: you are complete, we have all your LORs, and you will probably hear from us in a few months.

Obviously, if you are recently complete, it might take some time to hear from them. But if you have been complete for some time (more than 2 weeks) and have not heard from them, what does that mean? Have they even reviewed your file? Is this a rejection? Was there ever applicants who were in the complete category for a long time and eventually got an interview? Has there been any officially rejections pre-interivews yet?

I've had the "Evaluations/Recommendations - Complete" message since October 5th and previously have been "Complete" since like August. They're real slow for people who they're going to reject. I think they start swinging the axe in March after all interview invites have gone out.

I've had the "Evaluations/Recommendations - Complete" message since October 5th and previously have been "Complete" since like August. They're real slow for people who they're going to reject. I think they start swinging the axe in March after all interview invites have gone out.

honestly they do the same **** for thier undergrad applicants...

I applied twice... once I was deferred til april and rejected, the other time I was deferred til april and got in... and yes I am still bitter.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly they do the same **** for thier undergrad applicants...

I applied twice... once I was deferred til april and rejected, the other time I was deferred til april and got in... and yes I am still bitter.
Deferred pre-interview or post-interview? I am at the "Evaluations/Recommendations - Complete" stage since mid September, and no updates after that. Interview slots are dwindling fast, so would be good to know if there is still an outside chance, or whether this is a pending rejection.

Deferred pre-interview or post-interview? I am at the "Evaluations/Recommendations - Complete" stage since mid September, and no updates after that. Interview slots are dwindling fast, so would be good to know if there is still an outside chance, or whether this is a pending rejection.

ah, I was going off on a tangent about when I appled for undergrad.

but they do technically give defferrals pre and post interview... the pre being a hold.

I'm an august MCAT'er and i recieved this message from UM yesterday.

Preliminary Screening Completed
Your file has had a preliminary review; current status is "hold". No interview decision has been made. Please be patient.Your file has had a preliminary screening by the Admissions Office for the MD program. Determination of the next step of review will take place at a later time and you will be notified if your status changes.

I think it means i'm on hold:confused:

yeah, got that yesterday... nothing like 5 months of waiting to hear from a school only to have them tell you to wait some more... honestly just reject me if you have no intention of interviewing me.

(and the pleasure of seeing USC roll over UCLA this weekend is now even greater).

yeah, got that yesterday... nothing like 5 months of waiting to hear from a school only to have them tell you to wait some more... honestly just reject me if you have no intention of interviewing me.

(and the pleasure of seeing USC roll over UCLA this weekend is now even greater).
Oh stop with your bitterness about U of M and get it over it (I'm sill hoping that U of M magically knows your avatar is for OSU and that's why you're on hold).Anyway holds are horible in that if they just reject you, you can start hating the school, whereas holds, we're hoping that an interview might come and we'll have to answer the "why here" question (I'm having a similar situation with UCSD rather than UM). I guess the one thing about U of M is that they are so transparent and actually let you know you're on hold, rather than just staying silent. Best of luck guys!

I'm an august MCAT'er and i recieved this message from UM yesterday.

Preliminary Screening Completed
Your file has had a preliminary review; current status is "hold". No interview decision has been made. Please be patient.Your file has had a preliminary screening by the Admissions Office for the MD program. Determination of the next step of review will take place at a later time and you will be notified if your status changes.

I think it means i'm on hold:confused:

OK wtf... why do you get the preliminary screen before me? I've been complete since like JULY!!! Mine still says Evaluation/Recommnedations - Complete. That's good to know. :thumbup: I wish they would just reject me now. :laugh:

you guys with 'Evaluations/Recommendations -- Complete": did they ask you to send those? I've had the "Ready for Preliminary Review" since the end of August. I feel like it's not looking good.

Those put on hold or still waiting--are you from MI or are you OOS? That might make a difference at this point? They do have to aim for 50% of their class to be from MI I have heard.

I'm in state, but not at UofM.

oh, and humble, there's more than just bitterness there... I grew up in a family with MSU season tickets... I've just never really had any desire to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys with 'Evaluations/Recommendations -- Complete": did they ask you to send those? I've had the "Ready for Preliminary Review" since the end of August. I feel like it's not looking good.

i'm in the same boat. i've been "Ready for Preliminary Review" since early August. i keep wondering if i was supposed to send letters since the circles are unchecked. but they've never asked me for any letters, to my knowledge. what to do?!

or maybe i'm just in denial of the inevitable.

i'm in the same boat. i've been "Ready for Preliminary Review" since early August. i keep wondering if i was supposed to send letters since the circles are unchecked. but they've never asked me for any letters, to my knowledge. what to do?!

or maybe i'm just in denial of the inevitable.

me too!
if someone could fill us in on this, that would be really awesome.
i keep telling myself i'm just going to call and check, but then i read the message that says it may take "several months" and tell myself to be patient.

you know, i may not be the #1 candidate, but don't they even want to read my letters???

oh yeah, and i'm oos.

sigh.

They asked me to send recommendations, but I've been on that page since late August. I don't know if it's better that it says I'm currently under review or to be on hold. I'm tempted to call and ask what the deal is, but I don't want to be annoying. It's so frustrating since Michigan is my dream med school.

They asked me to send recommendations, but I've been on that page since late August. I don't know if it's better that it says I'm currently under review or to be on hold. I'm tempted to call and ask what the deal is, but I don't want to be annoying. It's so frustrating since Michigan is my dream med school.

i hear you. i would be super psyched about an interview at michigan. just to be completely compulsive and clear, did they email you to ask for the LORs, or did you assume that the above status message meant to send them in?

thanks ;)

i hear you. i would be super psyched about an interview at michigan. just to be completely compulsive and clear, did they email you to ask for the LORs, or did you assume that the above status message meant to send them in?

thanks ;)

They emailed me asking for LORs. Once they got it, my status changed to evaluations received - complete.

Sweet! I was OFFICIALLY moved to hold today. Yay for long, drawn-out rejections!

Sweet! I was OFFICIALLY moved to hold today. Yay for long, drawn-out rejections!

Same here, moved to hold today. This really sucks because UMich is my top choice.

I think it is for all in-state people...

oh well. at least I can stop obsessively checking that status page for a while.

Why didn't I get my status changed to "HOLD"

It looks like they may be pulling apps by going down the line from higher to lower GPAs...

It looks like they may be pulling apps by going down the line from higher to lower GPAs...

That's false... I have a 4.0 GPA and I did not receive the hold message yet.

yea i'm instate and was put on hold. I dont think my chances are to hot at this point especially since so many of us have been awarded the 'hold' status and there interview spots are winding down. Oh well i'm an MSU'er anyways and hopefully the OSU interview will go well.

yea i'm instate and was put on hold. I dont think my chances are to hot at this point especially since so many of us have been awarded the 'hold' status and there interview spots are winding down. Oh well i'm an MSU'er anyways and hopefully the OSU interview will go well.

yeah, if I got in, I think the cognitive dissonance of whether or not to support UM would be a bit too much to handle...

put on hold today. OOS. I wonder why they wouldn't just reject me. Though, I would love to go check out Michigan

Hold by status page.

I have doubts that being instate helps when applying to Umich.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

so are we pretty much rejected?

That's my guess, seeing as how many acceptances and interviews have already been given out. Good luck with your other schools, everyone!

Are these pre or post interview holds? I have a lot of "higly desirable" friends and I' love to know if people are getting news.

Pretty sure we are talking about pre-interview holds. Much of the discussion was about LoRs and dwindling interview offers. Good luck to your friends.

So after nearly 5 months of waiting (complete in August), I got an interview invite from Michigan today. One of the last *15* interviews, according to their tracker.

For some reason, I find this ridiculously funny. I am literally their last choice to interview. Oh well, still excited about it ;)

Anyone else get the end-of-the-line good news?

Were you previously put on hold first?

That's probably not good news for those of us that have been put on hold :(

That's probably not good news for those of us that have been put on hold :(

I don't know about you folks but I sense a bunch of Umich, 'thanks but no thanks' letters coming out soon. Particularly tough to take for the IS crowd that has done well, pays taxes and such...

I don't know about you folks but I sense a bunch of Umich, 'thanks but no thanks' letters coming out soon. Particularly tough to take for the IS crowd that has done well, pays taxes and such...

Yeah, I think you're right. I had already written UMich off and so was completely surprised to see the email today.

Here's to hoping that everyone has an option that works out by the end of the cycle...