UM (Miami) vs FAU (Boca)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was wondering if you could enlighten me with some advice and help me choose between these 2 medical schools because I am honestly torn and keep going back and forth between UM and FAU.
I came to FAU expecting absolutely nothing but I was completely blown away. UM has always been my top choice but FAU kind of hit me out of nowhere and it felt like it was (almost) everything I could have ever wanted. Also, just a little background info, FAU used to be a regional campus of UM. However, they noticed that the students at FAU were happier and doing better on Step 1 than UM students, so they eventually broke away from UM and established their own medical school.
EDIT: if you vote, please comment! thank you :)

FAU (Florida Atlantic University)

Pros

• Small class size ~65 people (very personalized environment, professors get to know you)
  • P/F system and NBME exams after 1st semester
  • Great research opportunities (Scripps, FAU research park, Cleveland clinic, out of state/out of country opportunities as well)
  • Nice clinical skills simulation center (start from the 1st semester)
  • Flexible MS1/MS2 schedule = more time to study for STEP 1 & better work-life balance (very important for me)
  • Never more than 2 hours of straight lecture (incorporate PBL's in a fun way with a group)
  • Impressive residency matches (matched into all specialties except for integrated plastics)
  • Everyone was SO nice & I really felt the "human touch" (honestly the students seemed GENUINELY happy)
  • New facilities (so everything looks really nice)
Cons
  • Not much name recognition (outside of FL)
  • Less established (used to be UM"s regional campus though)
  • Does not have its own teaching hospital
  • Rotations in 3rd & 4th year are weaker than UM
  • Limited "at-home" residency programs
  • Less exposure to a diverse population
UM (University of Miami)

Pros

• Very strong match list (top specialties and top programs)
  • Diverse patient population
  • 60+ "at-home" residency programs (establish connections with residency directors while in medical school)
  • Good name recognition (when everyone thinks of FL, I'm pretty sure the first city that pops into their head is Miami lol)
  • Good research opportunities (do not know too much about this though, just what I've heard)
  • Affiliated with Jackson Memorial Hospital (2nd largest hospital in the US and you get paired with a 1st year resident for Doctoring from the 1st semester)
  • Strong clinical rotations in 3rd & 4th year
  • Unranked P/F (just changed to this system this year, used to have grades)
Cons
  • Less flexible schedule (makes me feel like I would have a lot less time to study for STEP 1 & that stresses me out)
  • Older facilities (looked kind of run down)
  • Some of the students seemed a bit snobby and definitely less friendly than the ones at FAU (maybe it was just the ones I saw)
  • More competitive atmosphere and people seem less willing to help underclassmen
  • Do not use NBME exams (but I am pretty sure they are changing the curriculum this year to incorporate this, also not sure how well they integrate step prep into curriculum)
  • Large class size ~200 people (not much of a personalized environment, professors can't really get to know you well, do not know your classmates as well either)
  • PBL? I heard they were incorporating this into their curriculum this year but otherwise I think it is just straight lecture for 4 hours which I do not like
FYI, I want to match into a competitive specialty.
Academically, I feel like I may potentially do better at FAU because of the more personalized and collaborative environment as well as the relatively flexible schedule. UM still has not given any info on their new MS1/MS2 schedule for the entering class of 2019 so that makes the decision even more complicated (if anyone has this info please PM me). On the other hand, UM has some incredible residency programs and if I get to know the program directors during medical school and establish some kind of rep, I feel like that could really help later on. Also, UM seems to have a lot more diversity/opportunities. I really love FAU but I do not want to feel like I'm "missing out" if I choose FAU over UM.
Both medical schools are an hour away from my family so the distance is essentially the same. Also, both Boca and Brickell seem like great places to live, although I am sure that there is a bit more excitement in downtown Miami. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend second look for UM and I feel like that could have probably helped me make up my mind.

***EDIT: I chose FAU and I am VERY happy with my decision!***

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I've heard very good things about FAU from a few current students (in private non-school-related context) so I'm not surprised to see you viewed things the same way. Based on that alone and what you see above, I can see your gut is telling you to go FAU. I would measure up residency expectations by emailing admissions or someone who is knowledgeable on the subject if that's your main concern. Miami's name might help more in an OOS match context but I don't think it's going to be a big deal breaker over your relative sanity during school.

I think you should go FAU.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really do like it! So many amazing pros. If I did not like it then I wouldn't have such a hard time choosing haha
Id go to Miami tbh. The area is great and the school is more prestigious than the other.

Seems like from your list you're leaning more towards FAU. I've heard good things about them as well and don't believe you'd be missing out. There are definitely strong pros you listed like having a small class size and a genuinely happy student body. Plus costs are probably lower if you're in state. Good luck!

I was actually accepted to both schools but decided to go elsewhere but I think I can provide some info since I went to FAU for undergrad and went to UM's second look. At FAU they really are like a family, I got that sense from both the interview and from taking some classes in the med school. They are apparently really open to feedback and will change things if the students really do not like it. Its a good thing but I have also heard some med students complain because it seems they ask for feedback after every lecture. As a newer school I guess it makes sense but idk. At UM's second look, they told us that they would be using actual step questions or step inspired questions for their exams but dont quote me on that. As for the large class size, like 50 of those are md/phd and another 30-50 are md/mph. Even though they are starting a new intergrated curriculum with the md/mph students for the first 6 months, they will be seperated after that and I think will take courses on the PB campus. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, thats all I can think of for now. It sounds like you want to go to FAU though but are trying to justify maybe turning down a bigger name school with maybe more research opportunities. IMO, go where makes you happy and you can really see yourself thriving because mental health is gonna be a big part of how well you do too.

Reactions: 1 users
Went to UM for undegrad, and accepted to both MDs earlier this cycle but will be matriculating elsewhere. Miller was the only school that I was willing to stay in Florida for. A lot of that was based off the nostalgia from undergrad and the Gables area being a second home for me. Miller is a great program with an established reputation. Plus, I think Brickell is more exciting and fun for young professional and others in their 20s than Boca. I could definitely see how the larger class size might be a deterrent though but felt they were actually really close; I think with the new P/F curriculum, it might lessen the competitive vibe. The Miller Hospital system is pretty large, so I think there should be enough resources/mentorship for everyone to access. I do agree that there was definitely a more tight-knit feeling at FAU, but very much was not a fan of having to commute to different hospitals come rotation time. That being said, It looks like you want to go to FAU though so I voted for that, so I say follow your heart.

Went to UM for undegrad, and accepted to both MDs earlier this cycle but will be matriculating elsewhere. Miller was the only school that I was willing to stay in Florida for. A lot of that was based off the nostalgia from undergrad and the Gables area being a second home for me. Miller is a great program with an established reputation. Plus, I think Brickell is more exciting and fun for young professional and others in their 20s than Boca. I could definitely see how the larger class size might be a deterrent though but felt they were actually really close; I think with the new P/F curriculum, it might lessen the competitive vibe. The Miller Hospital system is pretty large, so I think there should be enough resources/mentorship for everyone to access. I do agree that there was definitely a more tight-knit feeling at FAU, but very much was not a fan of having to commute to different hospitals come rotation time. That being said, It looks like you want to go to FAU though so I voted for that, so I say follow your heart.
Thank you for the reply!

Hey guys! I was wondering if you could enlighten me with some advice and help me choose between these 2 medical schools because I am honestly torn and keep going back and forth between UM and FAU.
I came to FAU expecting absolutely nothing but I was completely blown away. UM has always been my top choice but FAU kind of hit me out of nowhere and it felt like it was (almost) everything I could have ever wanted. Also, just a little background info, FAU used to be a regional campus of UM. However, they noticed that the students at FAU were happier and doing better on Step 1 than UM students, so they eventually broke away from UM and established their own medical school.
EDIT: if you vote, please comment! thank you :)

FAU (Florida Atlantic University)

Pros

• Small class size ~65 people (very personalized environment, professors get to know you)
  • P/F system and NBME exams after 1st semester
  • Great research opportunities (Scripps, FAU research park, Cleveland clinic, out of state/out of country opportunities as well)
  • Nice clinical skills simulation center (start from the 1st semester)
  • Flexible MS1/MS2 schedule = more time to study for STEP 1 & better work-life balance (very important for me)
  • Never more than 2 hours of straight lecture (incorporate PBL's in a fun way with a group)
  • Impressive residency matches (matched into all specialties except for integrated plastics)
  • Everyone was SO nice & I really felt the "human touch" (honestly the students seemed GENUINELY happy)
  • New facilities (so everything looks really nice)
Cons
  • Not much name recognition (outside of FL)
  • Less established (used to be UM"s regional campus though)
  • Does not have its own teaching hospital
  • Rotations in 3rd & 4th year are weaker than UM
  • Limited "at-home" residency programs
  • Less exposure to a diverse population
UM (University of Miami)

Pros

• Very strong match list (top specialties and top programs)
  • Diverse patient population
  • 60+ "at-home" residency programs (establish connections with residency directors while in medical school)
  • Good name recognition (when everyone thinks of FL, I'm pretty sure the first city that pops into their head is Miami lol)
  • Good research opportunities (do not know too much about this though, just what I've heard)
  • Affiliated with Jackson Memorial Hospital (2nd largest hospital in the US and you get paired with a 1st year resident for Doctoring from the 1st semester)
  • Strong clinical rotations in 3rd & 4th year
  • Unranked P/F (just changed to this system this year, used to have grades)
Cons
  • Less flexible schedule (makes me feel like I would have a lot less time to study for STEP 1 & that stresses me out)
  • Older facilities (looked kind of run down)
  • Some of the students seemed a bit snobby and definitely less friendly than the ones at FAU (maybe it was just the ones I saw)
  • More competitive atmosphere and people seem less willing to help underclassmen
  • Do not use NBME exams (but I am pretty sure they are changing the curriculum this year to incorporate this, also not sure how well they integrate step prep into curriculum)
  • Large class size ~200 people (not much of a personalized environment, professors can't really get to know you well, do not know your classmates as well either)
  • PBL? I heard they were incorporating this into their curriculum this year but otherwise I think it is just straight lecture for 4 hours which I do not like
FYI, I want to match into a competitive specialty.
Academically, I feel like I may potentially do better at FAU because of the more personalized and collaborative environment as well as the relatively flexible schedule. UM still has not given any info on their new MS1/MS2 schedule for the entering class of 2019 so that makes the decision even more complicated (if anyone has this info please PM me). On the other hand, UM has some incredible residency programs and if I get to know the program directors during medical school and establish some kind of rep, I feel like that could really help later on. Also, UM seems to have a lot more diversity/opportunities. I really love FAU but I do not want to feel like I'm "missing out" if I choose FAU over UM.
Both medical schools are an hour away from my family so the distance is essentially the same. Also, both Boca and Brickell seem like great places to live, although I am sure that there is a bit more excitement in downtown Miami. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend second look for UM and I feel like that could have probably helped me make up my mind.
I’m curious what you decided and why?