UMaryland at 80k debt or Pitt at 140K debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brennydoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to get opinions.......disregard any other posts on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

go with UM. Great school and you're saving lots of $$

Members don't see this ad :)
Go where ever you'll be happiest (considering quality of education, curriculum, location, student body, everything). You will save a lot of money by going to Maryland, but 140K at Pittsburgh is pretty reasonable. I was debating two schools, top choice was 290K, 2nd choice was 150K. I decided to go with my second choice because 290K was just ridiculous. If I was debating 140K vs. 80K, I definitely would have taken the more expensive top choice though. I say go with your gut.

pittsburgh. they have a really great program.

If Pitt is not that overwhelmingly the top choice for you, go for the cheaper one. If Pitt is your #1 choice with a 10, is Maryland 9, 8, or 7 to you?

I really like the Pitt atmosphere and location. The only thing against Maryland is the fact that I'd rather not be in Baltimore for 4 years. So Pitt would be a 10 and Maryland would be an 8. Also if I stay in Maryland I would only have living expenses and I could probably work 5 -10 hours a week at the school behind a desk.

I really like the Pitt atmosphere and location. The only thing against Maryland is the fact that I'd rather not be in Baltimore for 4 years. So Pitt would be a 10 and Maryland would be an 8. Also if I stay in Maryland I would only have living expenses and I could probably work 5 -10 hours a week at the school behind a desk.

I am not a fan of Baltimore, however I will be attending Maryland in the fall. There are some great areas in Baltimore and it is in close proximity to Washington DC and Philly. Besides you are only there for 4 years.

i agree pittsburgh is the better city. here are some differences between the two locations:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pittsburgh-Pennsylvania.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Baltimore-Maryland.html

having lived in baltimore during college and the 2 years after I graduated I would choose Pittsburgh (or almost any other city) over Baltimore to spend the next 4 years. The area around the hospital is especially difficult to deal with.

Pitt looks like it's twice as much. Do they also make you wear bees? there was a really enlightening thread about that a few days back.

I just want to get opinions.......disregard any other posts on this topic?

go where you feel the most happy.. consider location, students, curriculum, prestige, proximity to home, etc.. cost should be a very low priority in choosing a medical school. Unless the difference is like 300K vs 60K. 80K difference isn't enough to strongly consider one school over another.