UMaryland - Deferral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidSplash

#LimbSalvage
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been a longtime reader of the postings, but have always managed to find any information I needed without posting myself...

Does anyone have any information on deferring a year after acceptance to UMAB (Maryland)? I haven't been accepted or rejected yet... still waiting (just interviewed last week). Just wondering if anyone knew if they have a conservative, moderate, or liberal deferral policy. I would be deferring for family reasons (my 15 year old sister may come and live with my husband and I for a year) and financial (1 more year working and we will be completely debt free, before incurring more for tuition of course :D).

I have read the law school has a conservative policy, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the medical school.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

LucidSplash said:
Hello all,

I have been a longtime reader of the postings, but have always managed to find any information I needed without posting myself...

Does anyone have any information on deferring a year after acceptance to UMAB (Maryland)? I haven't been accepted or rejected yet... still waiting (just interviewed last week). Just wondering if anyone knew if they have a conservative, moderate, or liberal deferral policy. I would be deferring for family reasons (my 15 year old sister may come and live with my husband and I for a year) and financial (1 more year working and we will be completely debt free, before incurring more for tuition of course :D).

I have read the law school has a conservative policy, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the medical school.

Thanks.

I wouldn't defer due to financial reasons. Unless you can make 6 figures by working this year, of course. Think long term about what you will make next year versus what you would make as one extra year as an attending . . . I know you have family reasons too, but I've heard people make only the financial arguement and it does not make sense to me.