Umass Medical School vs Emory (or even potentially Harvard)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medflight2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why has Emory been compared to literally every medical school in the past month on these forums?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad you had such a great experience at UMass! It really is an excellent school and I hope you keep us in consideration as you make your choice!

It's really hard to say where to go - you are going to get an excellent medical education at any US medical school you attend - it's really a question of what is right for you!

Which program did you like the best? What school do you think had a curriculum that would best fit what you know about your learning style (are you even planning to go to class)? Which school had a 'culture' that felt like you would fit in? Which school has the most opportunities to help you on your way to your goal? Is money an important factor for you?

How confident are you that you want to go into neurosurgery?

The first few questions I suspect will be easier to answer than the last (3rd year can be a magic time where you find that you love something you never would have imagined doing!), unless of course you have a lot of past experience with neurosurgery that has you pretty confident that that's your calling.

What I can say about UMass is this: We have a great community feel, very collaborative learning environment, and a great new facility with lots of up-and-coming research. I agree with you that that #46 research ranking is going to rise very quickly! But I can also say this: We're the med school of the Commonwealth and we're very big on primary care (top 10 for that!). It's not to say that my classmates don't go into specialties (more and more do every year), but rather that more of your colleagues here would be interested in primary care than at other schools.

So what does that mean exactly? I don't really know. I suspect that it would be quite easy to get involved with research here, which it sounds like you are interested in, and I can tell you that the faculty here are very welcoming and supportive of students in general, which would make for excellent mentoring!

On the other hand, even as someone who LOVES UMass, I might suspect that Harvard might be the better option for neurosurgery (again if that's what you are confident that you want). I think that having the Harvard name, and maybe more importantly, having experience with and letters of rec from Harvard neurosurgery faculty, could be helpful in trying to match in such a competitive field. Like you said, if you have the drive and the passion, you're going to make it happen wherever you go, but you might have the slightest edge coming from Harvard versus UMass. And if you do end up in Neurosurgery, you are not going to have any trouble paying off the extra 100K in loans, you know? (Sorry, don't know much about Emory's programs, didn't apply there!)

So you've got to weigh your options out! That's just my advice (only an MS II, so grain of salt!). I turned town WashU for UMass and I'm super happy where I am now with no regrets. It was the right choice for me!

But the nice thing is that this is the best kind of hard decision to have to make! Best of luck to you!

Not sure how $40k cost per year translates into debt-free.

At this point, too early to say until the financial situation is known.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at the UMass match list it seems that Massachusetts General Hospital loves them

Wait until you A) hear back from Harvard before counting your chickens, and B) get your financial aid packages from both (or all three) schools. Then pick whichever one has the overall cheapest COA, including tuition + living expenses, and taking into account your financial aid packages. With few exceptions, all other considerations should be a distant second to COA when selecting your med school.

Reactions: 1 user
This is purely anecdotal but a few years ago I spoke to a dermatologist who went to Harvard and said that she wished she went to UMass. Most of her colleagues went there and they're debt free, while she's still paying off some. The UMass grads and Harvard grad have the same job, same pay.

Reactions: 2 users
This is purely anecdotal but a few years ago I spoke to a dermatologist who went to Harvard and said that she wished she went to UMass. Most of her colleagues went there and they're debt free, while she's still paying off some. The UMass grads and Harvard grad have the same job, same pay.
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.
I will also add that she worked in a fairly rural setting in a small town practice... So I suppose you should also consider what type of practice you want. I would say being from Harvard or Emory would hold clout if you wanted to be in a city hospital or tied to an academic center.

Looks like I have all options open now! I am really looking forward to second looks at all three school, but I am still leaning towards UMASS.

For what it's worth, I know two MDs that graduated from HMS last year that both said they would not go back to HMS if they could do it over - in fact, that is the reason I didn't apply to Harvard. It all depends on the individual and what your goals are. If you are interested in biomedical industry, academia, etc HMS will certainly work to your advantage. Good luck and congratulations on your wonderful options!

Let me ask you: how important is it for you to be near home? If you are one who will really appreciate parental support while you are busy in med school, that might be another factor pointing you towards UMass that has not been mentioned here yet. On the flip side, if you believe that you will thrive more from being in a new environment, then that would be a point for Emory.

If you get into Harvard, you go to Harvard. Period.