UMD hold club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragzpie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the infamous UMD hold letter. This sucks. I know it's because one of my interviews didn't go well. I've had eight interviews so far and never have I had an interview go so poorly. It's upsetting that one person's impression of me after a 30 minute conversation can so significantly impact my life.

Members don't see this ad.

if it makes you feel any better, I don't believe there is any rhyme or reason to UMD admissions ... applied last year (state resident) and didn't get in ... applied this year (non-state resident) and got in ... on interview day, my first interviewer was on a flight to Philadelphia, and had no clue that I was coming ... the second did not seem to understand why I was in his office or what to do with me and told me that he was told (most likely in interviewer orientation) that the interview really didn't make a difference anyway ... simply bad vibes all around ...

Sorry to hear that, Mythili...

If it makes you feel better, I actually got TWO hold letters from UMD (one for the MD/PhD program and one for the MD program) and each one felt like a slap in the face. Probably because I liked the programs so much...

Anyway, good luck getting off that list!

CC

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much...I really appreciate your support...Coldchemist, I totally know what you mean about it being a slap in the face. Bocai, congrats on getting in!! It's funny how so many state schools have started to prefer out-of-state residents.

I wish you both the best of luck...Thanks again!

I'm really annoyed to. My parents have been paying taxes in MD for over 50 years, and I've been paying taxes for about 3 years. So it really makes me mad that my state school keeps me on hold, while another state school (VCU) didn't even hesitate to accept me. I feel that you have to be a super star candidate to get accepted to MD in-state.

Argh!:scared:

Maryland usually goes pretty far down it's waiting list. Hang in there. Also, be sure to send a letter of intent. Good luck.

ckent, MSIV
U Maryland

sorry to hear about that. Sounds like a lot of us got the hold letter from maryland, sucky. Hopefully we still have a good chance of getting in though. I wrote a letter of interest hopefully that is ok. i am not absolutely sure i want to go there so i didnt write a letter of intent. has anyone been rejected by maryland? anyone been waitlisted or is the hold basically the waitlist?

also how about if anyone gets their status changed from hold to something else they let us know. i dont think we will hear again til june though :(