1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UMD (Maryland) instate vs. UPENN

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by reensmiles, Dec 6, 2005.

1. reensmiles

reensmiles Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I may be counting my chickens before they hatch.... I read that many people who got in both Maryland and UPenn are choosing Penn. I have been accepted into Maryland as an instate candidate and am still waiting to hear back from UPenn. I was wondering, why choose Penn over Maryland? Are you instate at Maryland or out of state?

BTW, I'm not saying I'll get into Penn, I'm just curious.

Thanks ^.^

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Peter North

Peter North Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am one of those trying to make that decision right now. I must say though, currently I am leaning more towards maryland then UPenn. The more people i talk to that are affiliated with, or go to Penn dental the less it is sounding like the best fit for me. From what I hear, and while i was intervieweing, it seemed like the Penn students were run down, beat up and incredibly cut throat.

For me the major draw factor of UPenn is the superior location and an education which places a high number of students in a specialty of choice. The facilites are rather nice with the exception of the dungeon of a basement for the D1 and D2.

Marylands' new facilites are clearly going to be second to none on the other hand and the difference in classrooms/clinics/labs compared to UPenn is night and day. Also Marylands' tuition is easier to chew on then Penns. While looking at the loan budgets for the two schools its easy to say that Penn is only a few grand more (if out of state at MD) but MDs' budget has ALOT more personal expenses calculated in that can be cut back on by being frugal.

In the end I am still undecided, but those are just my thoughts, probabaly not helpful..

4. jaerob

jaerob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally, if I were in your situation I would definitely go to Maryland UNLESS you get the Dean's Merit Scholarship to UPenn. If you get the scholarship, then the cost difference b/t Maryland and UPenn would become almost negligible in the big picture, but otherwise I would say that the $$ isn't worth it to go to UPenn regardless of their specialty placements numbers. It's my opinion that you can go to ANY school and place into specialty of choice as long as you work your butt off.

Best of luck with your decision. Should you decide to go to Maryland, I'll probably see you there :)

5. reensmiles

reensmiles Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks for the replies and encouragements. at this point i'm 85% sure about maryland (especially since i'm not sure i want to specialize). congratulations on being accepted peter north and jayrob. perhaps i'll see you there next year.

6. tom3

tom3 Gold Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i'm in the same situation as you, with Pitt factored in, which i absolutely loved during my visit. such tough decisions...