UMDNJ Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinned

slaving in dental school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a thread so that students who will be choosing to attend UMDNJ can get helpful information about financial aid, housing and all the other mounds of paper-work... :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey, im all for it :) i started a thread back in december but i guess it lost its umph after people started gettting accepted. Congrats to you and all who are on this thread :) maybe we can all exchange screen names or something sometime before school so we can get to know each other.

hey guys, I will be attending to UMDNJ also next year..
hope to see you all there..
as you said, we should now really plan for our financial aid..
I'm planning to buy a house and a car (at NJ of course) probably next year during spring..and that way, I will have no problem becoming a NJ resident.
Well, have a great long~~ vacation, all of you.. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats u guys!! were u notified by email or snail mail? also, if u were interviewed after dec 1, how long after did they send you a letter? thanks for any input!

big envelope by snail mail...i interviewed in Oct. so i can't really help you on that one.

btw, does anyone know when they send the mail for the second deposit due in May?

Congrats to all of you going to UMDNJ, What a great school it is. Being from New Jersey I hope that I will get in this cycle. I applied really late and I was wondering if any of you guys who have been to the interviews whould have any idea if they are still interviewing or not and whether the class is full. Thank you.

Hey guys...I'll be there this fall. I'm totally into exchanging screen names so PM me if you're interested. Does anybody know how to apply to become a NJ resident?

arash said:
Congrats to all of you going to UMDNJ, What a great school it is. Being from New Jersey I hope that I will get in this cycle. I applied really late and I was wondering if any of you guys who have been to the interviews whould have any idea if they are still interviewing or not and whether the class is full. Thank you.

I remember from last cycle, that the last interviews were given sometime in early February if i remember correctly...this means that if you weren't invited by now, since they give a couple weeks before the actual interview date, you might want to start preparing for the next cycle...

Hey Congrats guys! I live in jersey and i'll prob be at UMDNJ for the grad prog. So maybe i'll cya guys around. If you guys wouldn't mind i'd like to exchange info as well so i can get some info about the classes and stuff when you guys get started.

can't wait!!! :p
I sent in my 1st deposit but haven't heard anything from them since. Will they be sending in the rest of the package after we submit the 2nd deposit or did you guys already get something in the mail?..

congrads to you all! how long after your interview did you hear from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received anything from UMDNJ after they sent in their first deposit? I received a letter telling me to apply for financial aid and nothing after that. I just want to know because I just moved and I want to know that I am not missing any mail from the office since I know they will be sending a second deposit letter sooner or later. Also, anyone know when this second deposit mail is going to be sent to us?

I'm getting anxious to start school...

Does anyone know what percentage of the interviewed are accepted? mine's comin up soon. :scared: and :D at the same time

arash said:
Does anyone know what percentage of the interviewed are accepted? mine's comin up soon. :scared: and :D at the same time

depends, if your interviewing very soon...you might be interviewing for an alternate spot...but they do end up using the alternate list for sure, but to what extent is not predictable.

good luck!

I'm 99% sure i'll be going to UMDNJ in the fall - still tyring to decide between that, BU, and columbia...

sinned said:
depends, if your interviewing very soon...you might be interviewing for an alternate spot...but they do end up using the alternate list for sure, but to what extent is not predictable.

good luck!

You were right. I got a call today, :( a bad one, that I will be interviewed for the waitlist since the class is currently full and if still I wanted to go to the interview. Of course I said yes, but I'v lost hope. enjoy UMDNJ maybe I'll join you next year.

I'll be there in the fall and I'm definitely interested if anyone wants to meet up before then. I really wish we could just start next week.

Anyway, one of my big concerns is housing. They're building a huge apartment building on campus for students (the first student housing on the Newark campus), which was initially supposed to be ready by August 2006. I recently called the Office of Student Affairs to inquire about housing and they mentioned that there is no guarantee that the apartments will be ready in time. I think that living right there for the first year would make things a lot easier, although I was still going to consider other options.

Apparently Student Affairs starts to handle student housing in April, so I guess we'll worry about it then...

hey now said:
I'll be there in the fall and I'm definitely interested if anyone wants to meet up before then. I really wish we could just start next week.

Anyway, one of my big concerns is housing. They're building a huge apartment building on campus for students (the first student housing on the Newark campus), which was initially supposed to be ready by August 2006. I recently called the Office of Student Affairs to inquire about housing and they mentioned that there is no guarantee that the apartments will be ready in time. I think that living right there for the first year would make things a lot easier, although I was still going to consider other options.

Apparently Student Affairs starts to handle student housing in April, so I guess we'll worry about it then...

anything you received in the mail lately from UMDNJ I should be aware about?

I've only gotten one piece of mail from UMDNJ since my acceptance letter on December 1st. A couple of weeks ago I got a letter about registering for financial aid on the website, which I did.

hey now said:
I've only gotten one piece of mail from UMDNJ since my acceptance letter on December 1st. A couple of weeks ago I got a letter about registering for financial aid on the website, which I did.

im in the same boat... ;)

sinned said:
im in the same boat... ;)

I didn't even get that financial mail :scared:
Will that be a problem???

hey now said:

I need to apply for financial aid as well but I have no idea how much I should borrow (last question of the application asks you to state how much aid you need). How do you even come up with a figure without knowing what tuition for next year is going to cost, etc. Am I missing information here?

they said to ask for as much as possible and when they send you the award amount, you can ask them to decrease it if it's too much.

3483y9 said:
I didn't even get that financial mail :scared:
Will that be a problem???

you should call them.

hi guys I will be at the medical school...not the dental...but it wud be great to get to know u all ;)

Does anyone know when I should expect the second deposit form to be mailed to my house? I know it's due sometime in May, but when should I receive the letter telling me to send the deposit in?

just wanted to congratulate the class of 2010 for their acceptance into UMDNJ. it's an awesome school. kudos!!!

fightingspirit said:
just wanted to congratulate the class of 2010 for their acceptance into UMDNJ. it's an awesome school. kudos!!!

Heyy thank you for the sweet message:) Definitly verrry excited to get started soon....to the end, i know some of us have been eager to possibly meet or just discuss financial aid and housing and all of the fun stufff....i am very interested in living in the dorms, which they say should hopefully be up in october...anyone else interested as well? where do you guys go to school, live in jersey? hehe im sorry im just very excited and cant wait to get to know everyone.

~Andrea

When did you hear that they would be ready in October? Did they abandon all hope of having it done in August?

Anyway, I live in central Jersey and I'm still up for meeting everybody.

anyone get the second deposit letter yet?

sinned said:
anyone get the second deposit letter yet?

i haven't gotten anything yet. are we supposed to?

Well, since the second deposit is due in May and in a few days it will be April. I was expecting that the office would at least give us a month or so notice before the second deposit deadline. Maybe I will give them a call sometime this week...

sinned said:
Well, since the second deposit is due in May and in a few days it will be April. I was expecting that the office would at least give us a month or so notice before the second deposit deadline. Maybe I will give them a call sometime this week...

I've already sent the second deposit about 2 weeks ago, but the school has not cash out the check yet... :confused: :confused:

3483y9 said:
I've already sent the second deposit about 2 weeks ago, but the school has not cash out the check yet... :confused: :confused:

So they don't send us a letter telling us to send the second deposit in? We have to just make out a check and state that this is the second deposit and send it into the office?

Wow...

OK, I called the office to double check and they will be sending us a mailing concerning the second deposit on April 1st. So expect something within the first week of April...

hope that helped

How many of you are going to rent/buy in Newark itself and how many are going to live in a surrounding suburb? I was thinking of the dorms, but was told they won't be done until the earliest August...and I have to establish residency before then because I live in NY... I kind of wanted to get an apartment right by the school for convenience, but is that what the students usually do??

hey now said:
When did you hear that they would be ready in October? Did they abandon all hope of having it done in August?

Anyway, I live in central Jersey and I'm still up for meeting everybody.

hey, yeah as of a week or 2 ago,i called to get an update and they said most liekly october...but dr linfante will be sending out an email in the near future to let us know of the status. so hopefully we will have a more clear answer with that
where in central jersey are you from? im from central jersey too:)

hey guys, our scrub color for our class is navy blue...i go to rutgers and theres a hospital right where i live and i saw someone wearing those colors and i got excited. i'm sorry, i know im a dork. hehe

I work in New Brunswick, there's probably a good handful of us in that town right now...

hey now said:
I work in New Brunswick, there's probably a good handful of us in that town right now...

I'm from Rutgers University in New Brunswick and I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. And yeah, we definitely have the best color scrubs offered by NJDS so I'm glad I got in when I did.

Just want to congratulate UMDNJ Class of 2010. I met many wonderful UMDNJ interviewees on my interview day. My faculty interviewer and the presenters were very friendly and approachable. Current UMDNJ students seemed very satisfied. I had a very positive experience there. Best wishes for UMDNJ CLASS OF 2010. :)

Congrats to y'all. I have been waitlisted at UMDNJ :( , anyone else? Hopefully there aren't many of us. ;) , Does anyone know if I still have a chance and/or what percentage of the waitlisted actually end up getting accepted? Thanx and best of luck.

Do you guys know what the min requirement grade after u've been accepted to UMDNJ? I looked through the papers they sent, but didn't see anything...did anyone ask/know??

most schools are usually, nothing lower than a B...

how bout C's??... i slacked off a little bit after my acceptance and might be getting a C in one of my classes

hey...ill be attending UMDNJ in the fall too! im really excited...let me know if you wanna chat beforehand..ooh by the way..did anyone do gateway last summer? cause i did...itll be nice to see whos gonna be my classmates from the summer...hope to see you all soon....(navy blue scrubs rock....hehe) =)

killua said:
hey guys, I will be attending to UMDNJ also next year..
hope to see you all there..
as you said, we should now really plan for our financial aid..
I'm planning to buy a house and a car (at NJ of course) probably next year during spring..and that way, I will have no problem becoming a NJ resident.
Well, have a great long~~ vacation, all of you.. :)

SerineProtease said:
hey...ill be attending UMDNJ in the fall too! im really excited...let me know if you wanna chat beforehand..ooh by the way..did anyone do gateway last summer? cause i did...itll be nice to see whos gonna be my classmates from the summer...hope to see you all soon....(navy blue scrubs rock....hehe) =)

Hey guys, you know i was thinking..i understand that none of us are too kean with putting up personal info like screen names on studentdoctor...yet i know how we were all talking about possibly talking and getting to know each other...i was thinking, if you want, everyone can individually PM me their email with their screen names and i will send out a master email to everyone so we can all have each other's screen names....anyone else up for that? lemme know :)