umdnj nj med vs robert wood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj katalyst

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having problmes deciding between the two..

I have heard the teaching at rwj is better the first 2 years, but newark has better clinical training the last 2 years.. the area is much better in rwj and probably a better learning environment..

How much of a difference is the slight edge on the clinical training at nj med going to make when getting a residency (again i dont know HOW much better, it is all based on word of mouth)

ANy input would be very helpful.. I don't know what to do!

-ali-

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't there a better match list at RWJ?
And are you interested in primary care or not?
RWJ is great for primary care and also their piscataway campus has tons of research opportunities...I would lean on RWJ unless you got into the Camden program--then it might be different.

honestly im not sure... Its hard to find good compartive data...

anyone can tell me anything more????

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they have the same caliber matches. You can look at RWJ matches on their web site, and NJMed faxed me a copy.

I work at the Mass. Gen. and have been talking to some IM people here. They've told me that NJMed produces some great clinicians and that they have a few doing IM residencies here.

I've also talked to a fourth year at NJmed and he told me that he has the opportunity to learn and practice many procedures that his friends at RWJ do not.

You can't go wrong. If you're a good student, you'll be recognized at either place.

Good luck!

Remember a few things. First, NJ Med has a scattered exam format, whereas RWJ has a block exam format. The block format is basically having a finals week 3-4 times a semester. Some like this, but some don't. I would think the clinical experiences are comprable. You would learn a lot in an inner city setting: Newark or Camden (RWJ). You would also learn a lot in the Piscataway/NB Hospitals, especially since there is the new RWJ/Bristol Meyers Squibb Children's Hospital (the only freestanding children's hospital in NJ) and the soon-to-open Cancer Hospital of NJ. That makes a total of four hospitals all within 5 minutes of each other (RWJ U, RWJ Children's, Cancer Hosp of NJ, St. Peter's--and don't forget about the CINJ).

Location may be a good deciding factor and I don't think this makes Newark any less attractive because there are plenty of places to live near Newark that are nice. However, at RWJ you will have access to Rutgers--NB which is a great college atmosphere. You won't have that much time to enjoy it, but at least there are plenty of great student centers to choose from if you like to study in those types of places.

Hope this helps!