UMDNJ NJMS: Accepted Student Luncheon Jan. 6 - Who's Going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW M3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the NJMS entering class of 2010!

The following letter is being mailed to you. However, you may wish to respond based on this email.

You are cordially invited to attend a luncheon in honor of the New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010. The luncheon will be held on Friday, January 6, 2006 in the Rosemary Gellene Room, located in the Medical Science Building, 185 South Orange Ave., Rm. B-515.

The event will begin at 12:00pm with a tour of the medical school facilities followed by the luncheon at 1:00pm. The dean, faculty members and students will be present to speak with you and answer any questions you may have. We sincerely hope you can join us for this informative afternoon. This will also be a wonderful opportunity to meet your future classmates, friends and colleagues. Attire for this event will be business casual.

Please respond no later than Monday, January 2, 2005. There is a response form with the letter or you may respond by e-mailing us at [email protected]. Upon accepting our invitation, a one-day parking permit and travel directions will be sent to you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, or if we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions at (973) 972-4631.

I look forward to seeing you on January 6!

Best wishes,

George F. Heinrich, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions and Special Programs
New Jersey Medical School
phone: 973-972-6088
fax: 973-972-7986
[email protected]

Is it very important to go to this? I'm scheduled to be skiing in Lake Tahoe that week, so I may very well miss this. :(

Slap on my wrists?

Members don't see this ad.

BMW M3 said:
Is it very important to go to this? I'm scheduled to be skiing in Lake Tahoe that week, so I may very well miss this. :(

Slap on my wrists?

ummmm you got in, right? so they can't rescind your acceptance right? so what the heck are you complaining about? no offense. obviously it'll be a good chance to meet people if you're seriously considering going, and if not, then whats the big deal?

i can't believe this is a serious post. Is it gloating? the people that get into med school really tend to underwhelm me sometimes.

Who the heck is going to slap your wrists? Your mother? Dr. Heinrich? Your future classmates? Are they going to ostracize you? "oooh yea dude you didn't go to the luncheon, not cool man, not cool, i dont think we can be friends now." (i'm serious tho, if i get into NJMS and see you there, we can't be friends)

what you need is a slap in the face, wake up homie. good for you that you got in and can go "skiing in tahoe"- you bad bad boy, you

femmedargent said:
ummmm you got in, right? so they can't rescind your acceptance right? so what the heck are you complaining about? no offense. obviously it'll be a good chance to meet people if you're seriously considering going, and if not, then whats the big deal?

i can't believe this is a serious post. Is it gloating? the people that get into med school really tend to underwhelm me sometimes.

Who the heck is going to slap your wrists? Your mother? Dr. Heinrich? Your future classmates? Are they going to ostracize you? "oooh yea dude you didn't go to the luncheon, not cool man, not cool, i dont think we can be friends now." (i'm serious tho, if i get into NJMS and see you there, we can't be friends)

what you need is a slap in the face, wake up homie. good for you that you got in and can go "skiing in tahoe"- you bad bad boy, you

chill....

Members don't see this ad :)
haha i didnt even realize his name was "BMW M3" --- is that the car your daddy bought you? or the fantasy one you're going to buy when you're a big pimpin' MD so you can drive around lake tahoe?

does this mean they won't be accepting more people?

xxbruinxx said:

no, i have heard that a lot of calls go out right before Xmas.

xxbruinxx said:

no, i have heard that a lot of calls go out right before Xmas.

i dont know about u guys, but i interviewed twice at NJMS... once last week and again two weeks ago....

i havent heard anything yet...

I interviewed early december and got my acceptance on the 20th i believe or thereabouts. So there is still time for them to let you know.

As for the luncheon, yes it is totally worthless. UNLESS of course it's your birthday in which case you get a free netter's anatomy atlas. Other than that, just wait for the SECOND luncheon in may which has housing day along with it. Much more important. That day is probably when you will see the finalized class.

femmedargent said:

wtf is the point of being this much of a douche bag? chill out, seriously.

I am going. I think it's a good opportunity for a second look at the school and I' m really looking forward to it. I hope to meet some of you there!

yeah in response to the ACTUAL POINT of this thread, i'll be going too...hope to see you guys there!

Yup. I'm definitely going. I'm excited to see potential classmates. I hope they'll have some more info about the new apartments being built. I really want to know how much they are going to end up costing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there

I know for a fact they keep track of who goes to luncheons. They pay attention to these small things when deciding about scholarships later on. I decided not to go to NJMS, but I knew the faculty there pretty well. But really though, they only offer scholarships if you're mcat is atleast 34+ (less if you're an URM). So if this isn't you, enjoy your trip!

Just out of curiosity, is it based only upon your MCAT score when determining scholarships?

prncvegita said:
Just out of curiosity, is it based only upon your MCAT score when determining scholarships?

wow, that would be truly awesome.

I'll go to the lunch if someone can get Heinrich to accept me... hell, I'll even bring a bottle of wine.

Being extremely fortunate to hold acceptances at both, I just got an email that RWJ and NJMS are both holding events on Jan 6. I was curious if anyone else is in this position, and what they are planning to do about it, as I was hoping to use the luncheons to help me make my decisions about acceptances to decline so to open up spaces for others that are still waiting. Thanks!

JrsyGirl114 said:
Being extremely fortunate to hold acceptances at both, I just got an email that RWJ and NJMS are both holding events on Jan 6. I was curious if anyone else is in this position, and what they are planning to do about it, as I was hoping to use the luncheons to help me make my decisions about acceptances to decline so to open up spaces for others that are still waiting. Thanks!

I'm gonna head to both. I'm planning on staying @ njms till 2 then leaving for rwj after that.

bgreet said:
I'm gonna head to both. I'm planning on staying @ njms till 2 then leaving for rwj after that.

we can all make the trek together hehe

I'm planning on going to both- hope to see you all there!

Anyone know how long it takes to go from Newark to Piscataway though?

Thanks....

taddpole said:
I'm planning on going to both- hope to see you all there!

Anyone know how long it takes to go from Newark to Piscataway though?

Thanks....

Depending on traffic about 30-40 mins. You can follow me down... I commute from Newark to New Brunswick about 3 times a week so I have the route down pretty well.

wow, you guys are so lucky!!! i wish I could join you to at least one of these luncheons... :(

Congrats to all you people who are coming to NJMS next year! (I'm a current 1st year.) And good luck to those of you waiting on the waitlist!

I didn't go to the luncheon in January this past year. Apparently it was fun and there was food (very key), but besides that it didn't give you any advantage for anything. Any minimum mcats for scholarships, "you have to go to the luncheon" etc... probably just rumors. If you're in, you're in. The housing day in May is more important because it's when you get to meet classmates and figure out housing situations, but even then I met people there who didn't end up in our final class. The real bonding starts in orientation and the first month of school, so chill.

Oh, and I really like it here. Obviously there are ups and downs about it, just like college, but I know I made the right choice. Come to NJMS! PM me with questions that I'll answer when I get the chance.

Ok, now back to cramming for my biochem/genetics finals on Monday and Tuesday......

bgreet said:
Depending on traffic about 30-40 mins. You can follow me down... I commute from Newark to New Brunswick about 3 times a week so I have the route down pretty well.

I'll try this again- my first reply got eaten. I'll definitely be up for following someone. I have bright red hair you cant miss me. Find me and grab me. As long as you dont drive me into a ditch, we'll be cool.

BTW- what are people wearing to this? Just curious.....

taddpole said:
I'll try this again- my first reply got eaten. I'll definitely be up for following someone. I have bright red hair you cant miss me. Find me and grab me. As long as you dont drive me into a ditch, we'll be cool.

buttondown shirt, khakis, no tie
same thing i wear to work everyday

Im going, hope to see some of you guys there, !!! :) ;)

i will be there as well ;)

taddpole said:

i have the same questions, what are the ladies wearing? :confused:
i dont want to wear a suit again... :rolleyes:

thesauce said:
I'm at NJMS right now and I'm pretty sure that they don't offer any scholarships until 2nd year and then it's based on your performance in 1st year.

Also, I really doubt that anyone pays any attention to who goes to these things. Some students (like me) are from all the way across the nation and can't afford the $1000 trip or the time off from school or work. Others are a 5 minute walk from the school. I don't think that any of the events are anything more than what they claim to be: a chance for students to get to know each other and the school a little better.

Congratulations on your acceptances to NJMS. I turned down University of Washington to come here and would do it again in a second. I love this school!

i don't think that is necessarily true..

my cousin, who graduated at the top of his class from princeton, got a full merit scholarhip to umdnj-njms. this was stuck right in there with his acceptance letter.

baby4you said:
i have the same questions, what are the ladies wearing? :confused:
i dont want to wear a suit again... :rolleyes:

skirt, a nice shirt, and probably boots

thesauce said:
I'm at NJMS right now and I'm pretty sure that they don't offer any scholarships until 2nd year and then it's based on your performance in 1st year.

Also, I really doubt that anyone pays any attention to who goes to these things. Some students (like me) are from all the way across the nation and can't afford the $1000 trip or the time off from school or work. Others are a 5 minute walk from the school. I don't think that any of the events are anything more than what they claim to be: a chance for students to get to know each other and the school a little better.

Congratulations on your acceptances to NJMS. I turned down University of Washington to come here and would do it again in a second. I love this school!

actually, afriend of mine is a second year and the reason she attended njms is because they gave her a full scholarship from day 1, so i think you might be mistaken.