UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also got the call on the 15th and am probably going as well. I'd say I'm about 95% sure I'll be in Newark next year. Yay for finding out so soon where we'll be going!

Just wanted to say hi guys! I got my call the 16th and was flipping out on the 15th... I interviewed on the same day as DF38, and I thought I was toast when the phone didn't ring... Haha.

Anyway, not sure where I'll be next year yet... But I'm very excited about NJMS, so we'll see what happens. Lots of factors to consider I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got the call on the 15th and am probably going as well. I'd say I'm about 95% sure I'll be in Newark next year. Yay for finding out so soon where we'll be going!

Yea, I am so relieved to have this acceptance. Now I just have to try not to give up in my current classes. Everybody plannin on goin to the accepted students lunch on Jan 5th?

Hey guys...I got the call on the 15th as well. I'm 99% sure i'm going..

Just wanted to say hi guys! I got my call the 16th and was flipping out on the 15th... I interviewed on the same day as DF38, and I thought I was toast when the phone didn't ring... Haha.

Anyway, not sure where I'll be next year yet... But I'm very excited about NJMS, so we'll see what happens. Lots of factors to consider I guess.
Congrats! I would have been dying too if I were you!

Yea, I am so relieved to have this acceptance. Now I just have to try not to give up in my current classes. Everybody plannin on goin to the accepted students lunch on Jan 5th?
How do you know when it is already? But yes, I definitely plan on going.

And I just need to say that I :love: NJMS for letting us know so quickly!

I know its early but by any chance does anyone know of any new condos or aparmetns in newark? I will most likely will buy a place instead of renting.

if you're going to buy someplace, i wouldnt suggest newark. try bloomfield, its pretty close and a lot of 1st/2nd years i know got houses out there. its a much nicer/safer area.

i was accepted to njms and rwj - how did you guys make the choice for njms? i'm leaning towards rwj right now but trying to make sure i make the 100% right decision for me.

if you're going to buy someplace, i wouldnt suggest newark. try bloomfield, its pretty close and a lot of 1st/2nd years i know got houses out there. its a much nicer/safer area.

i was accepted to njms and rwj - how did you guys make the choice for njms? i'm leaning towards rwj right now but trying to make sure i make the 100% right decision for me.

I heard they were building really nice apartments somewhere in newark... maybe i was wrong..
How far is bloomfield from the hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
there are new apartments at the school itself, but theyre a rent/room&board type thing rather than buying.

bloomfield is right next to belleville which is right next to newark...i'm not sure how far it would be driving time in the morning. maybe 20 mins - half hour?

I'm accepted to both too, but I'm almost positive I'm going to NJMS. For me, it was a gut feeling thing. Also, I don't like how RWJ has the split campus thing, and how the basic sciences are in Piscataway while the main hospital is in New Brunswick. I know they're very close, but it still seems like it could get a little annoying. And there were lots of other little things - I liked the student lounge in NJMS, like the courtyard there, really just the general atmosphere.

Bear in mind that I am not accepted (or interviewed for that matter) at RWJ, but I take classes on Busch Campus which is right next door to the Med school. I can honestly say that I dont think I have ever seen a happy RWJ student walking around. I see them in the library and they all look miserable, and in the med school cafeteria they all seem very standoffish. Overall, I cant put my finger on it, but I get a bad vibe from them. At NJMS on the other hand, there were students coming up to me before I even got to the admissions office giving me tips and asking how I was doing. It seemed like people really loved the school. Not to mention the great curriculum they have set up there. That alone makes NJMS my number one choice. Even if I got accepted to Dartmouth or Columbia tomorrow (which I am fairly sure I wont), they would have a hard time convincing me not to go to NJMS.

I am SURE that there are people who have had the opposite experience, but this is just my personal oberervation so take it with a grain of salt.

Bear in mind that I am not accepted (or interviewed for that matter) at RWJ, but I take classes on Busch Campus which is right next door to the Med school. I can honestly say that I dont think I have ever seen a happy RWJ student walking around. I see them in the library and they all look miserable, and in the med school cafeteria they all seem very standoffish. Overall, I cant put my finger on it, but I get a bad vibe from them. At NJMS on the other hand, there were students coming up to me before I even got to the admissions office giving me tips and asking how I was doing. It seemed like people really loved the school. Not to mention the great curriculum they have set up there. That alone makes NJMS my number one choice. Even if I got accepted to Dartmouth or Columbia tomorrow (which I am fairly sure I wont), they would have a hard time convincing me not to go to NJMS.

I am SURE that there are people who have had the opposite experience, but this is just my personal oberervation so take it with a grain of salt.

That's interesting, Hopster... thanks for your perspective. When I was at RWJ, I got a similar vibe. But because I was there during exam week for the first years, I attributed it to stress right before an exam, and pretty much wrote it off... However, if that's not just during exam week, then yikes!

interesting. i'd never heard that before, but i had heard people say that the njms students are much more laid back. when i was at both schools the students were exceptionally friendly and enthusiastic though. this might turn out to be a really hard decision.

Random question. But does anyone know if they record their lectures? I swear i heard them say they do but my friend who also interviewed there says that they don't

Random question. But does anyone know if they record their lectures? I swear i heard them say they do but my friend who also interviewed there says that they don't

I asked when I interviewed, and they do record their lectures... Maybe it's just audio and not video?

Hey Class of 2011!

I'm not sure yet if I willl be joining you, I got my MD acceptance but my PHD status is still undecided and I am waiting on that, plus several other schools, before I make a final decision. But I thought I'd drop in and give a shout out and a congrats to my fellow accepted applicants. :)

Hello fellow class of 2011'ers!

I found out I got into NJMS on October 15th (that day I called out from work, and found myself intently watching Flavor of Love and pretending I wasn't thinking about THE phone call,lol)

I got into RWJ as well, but I'm about 96% sure that I'm going to NJMS. Sooo glad we found out sooner, cause I'm leaving the country in a week!

Congrats to all!

Ohhh, any former Rutgers students??

I know its pretty early but i was wondering if someone currently attending NJMS could help about financial aid. From reading last years posts, rent can go from anywhere from 600 to 1600. It seems the financial aid package covers about 1100 max. How do the people paying 1600 manage? Private loans? Jobs? Parents?

I know its pretty early but i was wondering if someone currently attending NJMS could help about financial aid. From reading last years posts, rent can go from anywhere from 600 to 1600. It seems the financial aid package covers about 1100 max. How do the people paying 1600 manage? Private loans? Jobs? Parents?

I wonder if some of the higher end rents are people with families where maybe their spouse is still working... But who knows?

I am a first year at NJMS living in the brand new dorms. The financial aid office is very helpful and very generous in terms of giving out loans. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans are very limited, so if you want money they will hook u up with high interest private loans (but you do not hafta pay the interest while in school unlike some of the other private loans)

You will spend an entire day during orientation during the first year how the financial aid process works

good luck ;-)

I am a first year at NJMS living in the brand new dorms. The financial aid office is very helpful and very generous in terms of giving out loans. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans are very limited, so if you want money they will hook u up with high interest private loans (but you do not hafta pay the interest while in school unlike some of the other private loans)

You will spend an entire day during orientation during the first year how the financial aid process works

good luck ;-)
What do you think of the dorms? I'm leaning toward living there next year because it would be so convenient and I think it would be better to look for an apartment for second year when I have a better "lay of the land", so to speak. Are they nice? Do you like it?

The dorms are awesome. Contrast this: you have a class at 9 AM, you get to wake up at 8:50 and walk to class while other commuters have to wake up earlier than that and be stuck in traffic.

Also the apartments come fully furnished with a bed, desk, tv stand, drawer, coffee table, and living room furniture. They also throw in a fridge, microwave and dishwasher. You are provided with free internet, free basic cable, and free water. You only pay for power. The AC and heater suck up a lotta power tho! There is also 24/7 security. Theres also a study room on the 8th floor and every floor has a laundry room. Theres also a bus stop right next to the building and buses go straight to Newark Penn Station.

Despite the price, I think its worth living here and I like it.

The dorms are awesome. Contrast this: you have a class at 9 AM, you get to wake up at 8:50 and walk to class while other commuters have to wake up earlier than that and be stuck in traffic.

Also the apartments come fully furnished with a bed, desk, tv stand, drawer, coffee table, and living room furniture. They also throw in a fridge, microwave and dishwasher. You are provided with free internet, free basic cable, and free water. You only pay for power. The AC and heater suck up a lotta power tho! There is also 24/7 security. Theres also a study room on the 8th floor and every floor has a laundry room. Theres also a bus stop right next to the building and buses go straight to Newark Penn Station.

Nice, thanks for the info :thumbup:

How much does it cost to live in the dorms? I was considering living in newport....

How much does it cost to live in the dorms? I was considering living in newport....

I think they hover around $1k a month. Does anyone know if first years get preferential choice for the dorms?? I think it would be great to live on campus for at least the first year.

Hey yall, I'm brand new in this SDN thing, but I'm excited to say I'm also part of class of 2011. Glad it's all over with. NJMS was my number one choice, so it's a big relief for me!!!

Anyhow regarding the dorms, UMDNJ has this great website where it shows everything including the rates for the apartments (see below) and yes I do believe they give preference to first year students.

http://www.umdnj.edu/home2web/housing/rates.htm

Hey yall, I'm brand new in this SDN thing, but I'm excited to say I'm also part of class of 2011. Glad it's all over with. NJMS was my number one choice, so it's a big relief for me!!!

Anyhow regarding the dorms, UMDNJ has this great website where it shows everything including the rates for the apartments (see below) and yes I do believe they give preference to first year students.

http://www.umdnj.edu/home2web/housing/rates.htm
Congrats, and thanks for the great link! Wish they had a few more pictures (especially of the apartments), but I'm pretty sure I want to live there next year.

the first years are guaranteed housing...in fact 100 of the 170 first years currently live in the dorms

Question about the dorms - I know they're supposed to have a gym, but reading through last year's class thread it sounded like that wouldn't be finished until much later. Is it complete, or if not when is it supposed to be complete?

The gym at the dorms isnt complete yet, nor is the proposed cafe. I was told they may open next semester.

The gym at the dorms isnt complete yet, nor is the proposed cafe. I was told they may open next semester.
Thanks for the info :thumbup:

Question for my fellow future NJMS'ers: when you sent in your deposit, did you get any sort of email or confirmation that they received it? I want to make sure that they did in fact get my paperwork saying I want to go there - it would suck to have that get lost in the mail :scared:

Maybe I'll just call them to check.

Question for my fellow future NJMS'ers: when you sent in your deposit, did you get any sort of email or confirmation that they received it? I want to make sure that they did in fact get my paperwork saying I want to go there - it would suck to have that get lost in the mail :scared:

Maybe I'll just call them to check.

I haven't gotten anything yet either....

neither have i. nor did my check clear

does anyone know if njms has any intramural sports... =P

I just called the admissions office, and they said they received my stuff on 10/31. So I'm guessing they don't send any sort of email confirmation that they got it.

And I have no clue if they have intramural sports, but I hope so! If not, maybe we can start some.

does anyone know if njms has any intramural sports... =P

The first year class has formed flag football teams and they have played some fun games. Last week we had a ping pong tournament. The 2nd years have their own basketball teams. There are also people who have joined sports clubs outside of the school.

who do they play against.....

who do they play against.....

The intramural teams are formed from the 1st year and 2nd year classes, so we play against each other. The first year class has 5 flag football teams.

Does anyone know about the PDA requirement?? I am hoping to knock it out as a X-mas gift this year but need to know what kind is required. Any insights??

yes...a PDA is required during the first year for the Physician's Core class...if you are getting it as a gift, I would strongly suggest u get it.

yes...a PDA is required during the first year for the Physician's Core class...if you are getting it as a gift, I would strongly suggest u get it.

Do you know which kind is required? Would a Dell Axim suffice? Is there any one at NJMS I can contact about this?

Thanks.

hey hopster if you find out any information can you share with all of us. I would really like to know. I'm also considering asking for a palm treo for my b-day